Barstool (off topic)

adam

Does anyone follow, listen to or watch anything from Barstool Sports? I have seen a few things, mainly Big Cat who is a Bears fan, seems like a funny guy.

Well, Pat McAfee, former Indy Punter, just signed a $30M a year deal with FanDuel leaving Barstool Sports. First off, that is more than he made in his entire NFL career (which is mind-boggling). Secondly, I can't imagine what ESPN and other networks are paying terrible QBs as analysts (Dan Orlovsky, etc). 

Besides McAfee, the only other personality of interest in Barstool is Big Cat. I can't imagine he is making anywhere near that much because the entire company is only valued at $200-$400M nowadays, which is just a valuation, and not necessarily gross profits. 

Barstool with McAfee was valued at $450M when Penn bought an equity chunk of Barstool in September. Since that purchase, Penn stock has tanked almost 50%, and that was before this news. Since the value of Penn shrunk, so does the value of Barstool, now down to probably around $250M or less, but that was with McAfee. I can't imagine what it will be without him. 

If Big Cat jumps ship, which he should, that would be pretty comical because Portnoy, the Barstool owner, is a big douchebag lol. This is what he had to say about the McAfee deal after the news broke:

It seems pretty funny because all the panicked Penn stock owners, mostly Barstool followers, believe that this is a great deal for Barstool because it shows the value in sports betting....... yet McAfee is going to a direct competitor to advertise specifically for FanDuel. That's like saying The Rock in an ad for Ford F150 is good for Chevy Silverado. That is not how that works. 

I used to see Big Cat on PFT the last few years.  Enjoyed his humor and his opinions.  Not a big fan of McAfee.  Have not listened to any of Barstool.  Just amazing to me how wide and the amount of context everywhere about the NFL and FF.  At some point there has to be a point of over saturation.  Having said that, if I were a 20-30 something, I would be busting my ass on getting in on the cash cow in any capacity I could.

50 minutes ago, Bill said:

I used to see Big Cat on PFT the last few years.  Enjoyed his humor and his opinions.  Not a big fan of McAfee.  Have not listened to any of Barstool.  Just amazing to me how wide and the amount of context everywhere about the NFL and FF.  At some point there has to be a point of over saturation.  Having said that, if I were a 20-30 something, I would be busting my ass on getting in on the cash cow in any capacity I could.

I agree, a ton of opportunities and money for that group that didn't exist 20 years ago. When I grew up, it was trade school, you needed to have some kind of tangible skill (carpenter, plumber, electrician, auto, etc) or go into the military, police, or fire.