Brandon Staley Worst TO in NFL History

adam

Wow, first off, I love Brandon Staley. 

Did anyone else see the Chargers Raiders game?

If they tied, both would make the playoffs due to IND's loss. Well LAC scored a last-second TD and forced overtime (they didn't go for 2). Then in OT they swapped FGs and with the game tied and the Raiders at the LAC39 with 38 seconds left (and a running clock), Staley called a timeout. It was clear to everyone in the world that the Raiders were content to run out the clock and take a tie. It would've been a 56 yard FG from there and the risk of a block or something bad happening was too high. They even said this after the game. They were actually going to take a knee!

So he calls a timeout, which gives the Raiders more time for an extra play because they only had one timeout left. So after the LAC TO, on the next play they let up a 10 yard run to Jacobs who they knew was running, then the Raiders called a timeout and kicked the GW FG from the 29. Unbelievable. 

Somehow the Chargers missed the playoffs. They were 8-5 and lost 3 of their last 4 (lost to HOU). Just an unbelievable sequence. The Steelers made the playoffs. The Colts missed the playoffs (lol Wentz). Cleveland and Baltimore missed the playoffs. Such a weird year in the AFC. All IND had to do was beat JAX to make the playoffs and they lost. BAL was 8-3 and lost their last 6. CLE lost 3 of their last 4. 

When Carr was interviewed after the game he said their (his) intent was to win it from the start.  But I agree in watching the game it sure looked like LV was good with just letting the clock run out.  Have no idea what Staley was thinking.  Suppose this just strengthens that rivalry that much more.  

I said in another thread how amazing a player Herbert is.  He had something like 5-6 4th down and longs late in the game and converted every one of them.  It was unbelievable. 

The Chargers timeout forced the Raiders hand. What if Raiders ran shortly - Chargers call another time-out. Raiders now have to figure out - long field goal or punt and than the Chargers may pivot the other way.  Either way - I really don't think the Raiders were going to kick a field goal from where they were.  Too much risk of a block.