Plan for 2023 run (soft reboot)

adam

23 hours ago, adam said:

If you want more data that supports not extending Monty, check this out:

2013 is the only bogus one because BeastMode was on the team, but Harvin outrushed him in the SB. However, outside of him (he made $7M), none of these other guys was making a lot of money, which allowed the team to address other positions with that cap space. 

If you sign an RB to a big second contract, it rarely works out. Also remember that Cohen is making $5.7M, 2x more than any RB on this list. Monty is going to command more.

Nice argument except it excludes the fact those offense had:  

QBs:  Stafford, Brady,  Mahomes, Brady, Foles (meh), Brady, Peyton Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco (meh), Eli Manning, Rodgers, Brees. 

So yeah, go get us one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL and we won't need but an average RB.  I won't dig into the full rosters but I'd hazard a guess that most of them had some pretty good WRs/TEs during. their Superbowl runs.  Who do we have?    As noted there is zero doubt Wilson benefitted from having Lynch carrying the load.  

It's still a team sport so the meh QBs, and even Stafford all had strong defenses, strong WR corps, or a strong running game.  IIRC Foles benefitted from what was likely the best Oline in the NFL.  Go get a top 5 Oline and we won't need a really good RB as well.  Who do we have?   

Maybe Fields turns into one of the top 10 QBs in the next 12months.  Maybe our WR corps or Oline turn into top 10 units in the next 12mo.  From my point of view those things will take 2-3 years.  In the meantime, I think our best chance of success is having a strong running game.   

45 minutes ago, AZ54 said:
29 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Nice argument except it excludes the fact those offense had:  

QBs:  Stafford, Brady,  Mahomes, Brady, Foles (meh), Brady, Peyton Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco (meh), Eli Manning, Rodgers, Brees. 

So yeah, go get us one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL and we won't need but an average RB.  I won't dig into the full rosters but I'd hazard a guess that most of them had some pretty good WRs/TEs during. their Superbowl runs.  Who do we have?    As noted there is zero doubt Wilson benefitted from having Lynch carrying the load.  

It's still a team sport so the meh QBs, and even Stafford all had strong defenses, strong WR corps, or a strong running game.  IIRC Foles benefitted from what was likely the best Oline in the NFL.  Go get a top 5 Oline and we won't need a really good RB as well.  Who do we have?   

Maybe Fields turns into one of the top 10 QBs in the next 12months.  Maybe our WR corps or Oline turn into top 10 units in the next 12mo.  From my point of view those things will take 2-3 years.  In the meantime, I think our best chance of success is having a strong running game.   

AZ, you are correct, it's ultimately about roster construction. They were just depicting one fact about those rosters, all but one had an RB on a big contract. It's not to say the RBs on those rosters weren't productive or their production wasn't needed. It was just showing that the actual SB winners all had RBs on rookie deals or smaller vet contracts. That is a pretty solid argument not to pay any RB over $5-6M. 

O-Line and QB are the keys for sure. Look what happened to Burrow and Mahomes last year. We got Fields, we need to address O-Line first. Another reason not to put money in places of low value. 

Schemes can be made to fit personal, so I don't see the Bears creating more holes on the roster if necessary.  Eberflus/Williams have two of the best pass rushers in this era, they will figure something out to get the most out of them.  That is where Goldman might make a better 3T because he is larger. He used to force double teams back in the day because he was a force.  If they resign Nichols, he is Harris/Tank sized.  The Bears will definaletly need to invest in ILBs right away and a SS.  To transform the D completely, it will take at least two off seasons.  

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Schemes can be made to fit personal, so I don't see the Bears creating more holes on the roster if necessary.  Eberflus/Williams have two of the best pass rushers in this era, they will figure something out to get the most out of them.  That is where Goldman might make a better 3T because he is larger. He used to force double teams back in the day because he was a force.  If they resign Nichols, he is Harris/Tank sized.  The Bears will definaletly need to invest in ILBs right away and a SS.  To transform the D completely, it will take at least two off seasons.  

Definitely will need to add a SS, but I think they will fill that in free agency and will at a value. SS seems to be undervalued position. In the 4-3 there is still a NT,  I think Nichols could play 3T,  he is better suited than Goldman. 

11 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

What about Blackson? He was better than I expected. If you cut Goldman, you should have enough to bring in a starter at NT or LB with the cap savings. So I would rather have a new starter on defense than Goldman. 

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Definitely will need to add a SS, but I think they will fill that in free agency and will at a value. SS seems to be undervalued position. In the 4-3 there is still a NT,  I think Nichols could play 3T,  he is better suited than Goldman. 

I feel like they will address Safety in FA for sure. Malik Hooker who played under Eberflus in Indy and will only be 26 this year. Hooker played on DAL this year, and all of their top 4 Safeties are free agents: Hooker, Kearse, Kazee, and Neal.

3 hours ago, adam said:

What about Blackson? He was better than I expected. If you cut Goldman, you should have enough to bring in a starter at NT or LB with the cap savings. So I would rather have a new starter on defense than Goldman. 

Seems all the Bears DL are in the 6-4 315 range 

Plus/Minus 1 inch

Plus/minus 25 pounds

I think they can all interchange and if they plan to use Mack, Quinn, and Gibson as DEs, then the DTs they had will be squeezed from the previous 3 DL spots down to the 2 in the new scheme.  It will be interesting to see how they plan to do this.

Still on the roster, Lacan  London , Tonga, Goldman, Blackson, Mario Edwards, Sam Karama, Mack, Gibson, and Quinn. I think the regression of Goldman gets him off the roster. We are good at DE, Mack, Quinn, and Gibson. Blackson and Tonga can man the NT spot.  I think Karma and Edwards can play the 3T spot, if Poles doesn't agree, he can resign Nichols at a team friendly contract. So I think we will be set on the defensive line.