Off season defense

Stinger226

Most our blue chips players are on defense. Mack, Quinn, Smith , Johnson, and in some respects, Jackson. Other good players on the roster . I think they move on from Goldman, Attaochu, Trevathan.  Trevis Gibson, Blackson, Edwards, Tonga , Snowden, Sam Karama,  Graham can contribute.

Needs : 2 CBs, SS, MLB, SLB, 3 T. 

If Graham can develop, Shelly, and Vidor can be put at NB or bring in new.

I think 3T could be a fit for Edwards and Karama. Both around 6'2" 290. If not will have bring new. Blackson and Tonga can man the NT spot.Possible that Nichols can play there and will be brought back. 

I think Snowden will get first shot at SAM LB spot. I think they bring back Ogletree and Christian Jones will be brought back to man the middle.

They will definitely bring in a SS, but maybe Bush and DHC can be brought back as backups.

I think they bring in a SS, CB, SAM to start.

Malik Hooker SS, ties to Eberthus

Nichols gets brought back to play 3 T

Leighton Vander Esch to play SLB. played under Matt in Da!las.

Kevin King/CB He got his spot taken by Douglas, comes on a prove it deal.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Most our blue chips players are on defense. Mack, Quinn, Smith , Johnson, and in some respects, Jackson. Other good players on the roster . I think they move on from Goldman, Attaochu, Trevathan.  Trevis Gibson, Blackson, Edwards, Tonga , Snowden, Sam Karama,  Graham can contribute.

Don't agree on Jackson being a blue chip player, certainly not one worth $10mil/yr.  I'm going to assume you meant to get rid of the Safety Tashaun Gipson (already FA) and not the OLB/DE Trevis Gipson who had 7 sacks last year.  We have Trevis under contract for 2 yrs at $900k and $1mil which is dirt cheap for 7 sacks and the arrow is pointing up.  He's a likely starter, or at least a player we'd want in a rotation, in the future 2023 and beyond as we shed big contracts for aging players in Mack/Quinn.  Tonga is interesting because he's cheap and effective as a run stuffer but only in limited snaps and his technique is poor at times.  If Eberflus wants only 1-gap type players we'll have to see how he fits.  He might be a trade candidate to a 3-4 scheme.  

Needs : 2 CBs, SS, MLB, SLB, 3 T. 

If Graham can develop, Shelly, and Vidor can be put at NB or bring in new.

I think we have to add FS to the equation.  I can't see us paying Jackson $10mil.  Shelley and Vildor are decent depth pieces for another year.  I suspect Vildor would benefit from playing more zone where he can keep the play in front of him.  While the theory is Eberflus base D is cover 2 reality might be different. Finding a good NB requires a player with excellent agility and the toughness to handle some work in the box area.   They exist late in the draft because they don't have the long speed needed for outside coverage but it's not likely to be a priority.  

I think 3T could be a fit for Edwards and Karama. Both around 6'2" 290. If not will have bring new. Blackson and Tonga can man the NT spot.Possible that Nichols can play there and will be brought back. 

I agree here.  Not sure either can handle starter snap counts but as part of a rotation they can be productive.  Nichols is a possibility.  

I think Snowden will get first shot at SAM LB spot. I think they bring back Ogletree and Christian Jones will be brought back to man the middle.

I don't quite see this.  How many 6'6" SLB are in the NFL?  For his size he is pretty good on his feet and can handle some coverage assignments so maybe he gets some consideration there.  However, with his quickness and length (35" arms) I'd prefer to see us continue developing him as a pass rusher vs. experimenting with a position change.  

They will definitely bring in a SS, but maybe Bush and DHC can be brought back as backups.

Agreed.  Both played well enough and especially DHC contributes on special teams.  

I think they bring in a SS, CB, SAM to start.

Malik Hooker SS, ties to Eberflus

...yet he was let go.  That doesn't mean he was bad but the flip side is he wasn't considered a core blue chip player they had to keep.  I always thought Hooker was more FS center fielder type than SS.  I liked him coming out of college but his play hasn't matched my expectations.  He's an option but his stat line is eerily similar to Jackson with just 1 INT and 2 passes defensed all season.  

Nichols gets brought back to play 3 T

Leighton Vander Esch to play SLB. played under Matt in Da!las.

I think he's going to get more money than what we'd pay a part-time SLB.  

I can see him as a FA target this year but to play MLB.  He has the size/speed needed in this new scheme and he's expected to earn just $5mil/yr.  

Kevin King/CB He got his spot taken by Douglas, comes on a prove it deal.

Maybe as a rehab project we give him a cheap deal but why not go get Rasul Douglas for $11mil/yr and call it a day?  

This team is not ready to win this year, so I'm trading Robert Quinn, as his value will never be higher.    The Rams gave a second and third for Von Miller.  The NFL is a copycat league, so I expect something like this to happen again. Time for Trevis Gipson to start.  Poles and Polian both highlighted that the roster isn't close to what it needs to be, so any extra picks is going to be huge. 

Eddie Jackson hasn't hit anyone in two years and cannot lead a secondary.  He was often seen arguing with a young CB that just got roasted.  That shows me a huge communication problem from the guy that's supposed to organize the coverage.  I won't be surprised if he's flat out cut, as money definitely changed him.

Eddie Goldman has lost his desire to play football.  I doubt a new coach can rekindle that fire.  Cut.

The defense may take a hit this year, at the expense of the offense.  I would personally like to a see substantial free agent signing at left tackle and WR and a high draft choice for both as well.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

This team is not ready to win this year, so I'm trading Robert Quinn, as his value will never be higher.    The Rams gave a second and third for Von Miller.  The NFL is a copycat league, so I expect something like this to happen again. Time for Trevis Gipson to start.  Poles and Polian both highlighted that the roster isn't close to what it needs to be, so any extra picks is going to be huge. 

Eddie Jackson hasn't hit anyone in two years and cannot lead a secondary.  He was often seen arguing with a young CB that just got roasted.  That shows me a huge communication problem from the guy that's supposed to organize the coverage.  I won't be surprised if he's flat out cut, as money definitely changed him.

Eddie Goldman has lost his desire to play football.  I doubt a new coach can rekindle that fire.  Cut.

The defense may take a hit this year, at the expense of the offense.  I would personally like to a see substantial free agent signing at left tackle and WR and a high draft choice for both as well.

Quinn is immovable this year. The Bears would take on $12.7M dead money by trading him. 

Jackson isn't going to last very long on this defense. Can you imagine Poles, Ebferflus, and Williams going thru game tape and watching Jackson's effort on 90% of the plays? They may cut him after watching Week 3. 

I agree on Goldman, he must've sat on his ass for a year in that year off. He should've been hitting the gym and came back a ripped monster. I would cut him before FA starts so you free up the $6.6M to sign a real NFL player.

I don't know if the defense is really going to take a hit. Mack is the key. If he is healthy and playing with fire, he is a game wrecker. He is a more natural DE than OLB, same with Quinn. Mack had 6 sacks in 7 games, and was limited in the game he got hurt. So in the 6.5 games, he had 6 sacks. Eberflus and Williams did more with less in Indy. I think they will find the role players to plug in. 

It's going to come down to OL Protection and Fields development. If he is who his stats say he is, we are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's worth it for the future and the actual players that will be here.

I agree, I just don't know if they would do that. It would have to be a return that compensates for that loss in cap space. A 2nd and a 3rd, as long as they become starters would be worth it. Instead of paying Quinn, the dead cap + rookie salary evens out.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I agree, I just don't know if they would do that. It would have to be a return that compensates for that loss in cap space. A 2nd and a 3rd, as long as they become starters would be worth it. Instead of paying Quinn, the dead cap + rookie salary evens out.

Yea, I'm just thinking draft capitol at this point.  Gotta get Justin some help quickly, so the progress can begin.  Time for Gipson to shine...

People always talk about trading Mack, Ouinn, or Jackson. OTC lists dead money if traded pre June 1st. Mack-27mil Quinn -12.7 mil, and Jackson 13.5. If you trade all 3 , you save 6 mil but dead cap would be 53 mil. I don't see any being traded. They will try to to get the most out of them this year. Next year they will be in better cap situations with all of them. We have very few rostered players to take there place if traded.  This year, Poles will add and make the best of this roster. Then do what he needs to next year. I agree Gibson should get his chance, but it won't happen this yr. Getting extra picks would be great but if any of those players play to their upside, getting rid of them would really make this team much worst. Poles will try to win this year and needs his blue chip players to try to get there. If Fields is good, you  are not that far away. Fix the oline and add a WR.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

People always talk about trading Mack, Ouinn, or Jackson. OTC lists dead money if traded pre June 1st. Mack-27mil Quinn -12.7 mil, and Jackson 13.5. If you trade all 3 , you save 6 mil but dead cap would be 53 mil. I don't see any being traded. They will try to to get the most out of them this year. Next year they will be in better cap situations with all of them. We have very few rostered players to take there place if traded.  This year, Poles will add and make the best of this roster. Then do what he needs to next year. I agree Gibson should get his chance, but it won't happen this yr. Getting extra picks would be great but if any of those players play to their upside, getting rid of them would really make this team much worst. Poles will try to win this year and needs his blue chip players to try to get there. If Fields is good, you  are not that far away. Fix the oline and add a WR.

Completely agree.  I wish we had a bunch of picks but that is what happens when a team has been run poorly for 15 years.  Let's hope Poles doesn't get desperate and start making drastic moves to try and quick fix it.

We can make a huge stride with 2 FA signings followed by a solid draft.  Get a Center and WR to help Fields. 

48 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There is one thing to consider with dead cap. The Bears can decide that a player is not going to be in their long-term plans or in the window that they are projecting a SB run (23-25). My assumption is Poles and Eberflus don't think they are coming in Year 1 and competing for a SB. They may say that but it's hard for me to believe that they are planning for it with the roster. If that is the case, as long as they do pre-June 1st cuts or trades, no dead cap goes into future years like post-June 1 cuts or trades do. 

So the guys that you can cut pre-June 1st with cap savings and have no residual impact to the 2023 cap and beyond are (dead money):

1. Goldman $6.6M ($5.1M)
2. Quinn $4.4M ($12.7M) 
3. Mack $3.15M ($27M)
4. Foles $3M ($7.66M) - if traded pre-June 1st - $8M savings ($2.66M)
5. Montgomery $2.79M (261K)
6. Cohen $2.25M ($3.5M)
7. Blackson $2.1M ($1M)
8. Attaochu $1.9M ($1.2M)
9. Jackson - if traded pre-June 1st - $1.53M ($13.5M)

For Quinn, the only logical thing is a trade that pockets you a couple of early-round picks (2nd and 3rd) and gives you $4.4M in cap savings to sign a decent mid-tier vet. To me, having Mack-Gipson + an extra 2nd rounder + extra 3rd rounder + $4.4M vet is easily better than Mack-Quinn-Gipson in 23-25. The draft would look so much better with 2x 2nds and 2x 3rds. I would even consider a 2nd and a 4th for Quinn at this point. However, I doubt it happens.

Foles and Jackson are somewhat interesting in that their dead money and cap savings change from cut to trade.

A Foles trade would be HUGE for Poles, literally a $5M difference and $8M in cap space overall. This trade has to happen.

If the coaching staff doesn't believe in Jackson, a pre-June 1st trade is not out of the question. $13.5M in dead cap, but you don't have to worry about his cap impacts in 23 and 24 when his cap hits get bigger AND he is off the roster in 2022. Another thing to consider, Jackson's pay is already in the cap space, so it's not like the Bears are adding $13.5M to the current number. A pre-June 1st trade would free up $1.5M and a roster spot from the current cap. OTC's valuation of Jackson has him at $1.3M. So saving $1.5M is actually a win.

Goldman is an easy cut (OTC Valuation = 420K), Cohen and Attaochu seem like two other somewhat easy ones. You save almost $11M cutting those 3, and there is pretty much zero drop ofif in roster production. You can sign 2x mid-FAs for $5M each and vet min guy for $1M with that money.

1 hour ago, adam said:

There is one thing to consider with dead cap. The Bears can decide that a player is not going to be in their long-term plans or in the window that they are projecting a SB run (23-25). My assumption is Poles and Eberflus don't think they are coming in Year 1 and competing for a SB. They may say that but it's hard for me to believe that they are planning for it with the roster. If that is the case, as long as they do pre-June 1st cuts or trades, no dead cap goes into future years like post-June 1 cuts or trades do. 

So the guys that you can cut pre-June 1st with cap savings and have no residual impact to the 2023 cap and beyond are (dead money):

1. Goldman $6.6M ($5.1M)
2. Quinn $4.4M ($12.7M) 
3. Mack $3.15M ($27M)
6. Cohen $2.25M ($3.5M)
7. Blackson $2.1M ($1M)

For Quinn, the only logical thing is a trade that pockets you a couple of early-round picks (2nd and 3rd) and gives you $4.4M in cap savings to sign a decent mid-tier vet. To me, having Mack-Gipson + an extra 2nd rounder + extra 3rd rounder + $4.4M vet is easily better than Mack-Quinn-Gipson in 23-25. The draft would look so much better with 2x 2nds and 2x 3rds. I would even consider a 2nd and a 4th for Quinn at this point. However, I doubt it happens.

Foles and Jackson are somewhat interesting in that their dead money and cap savings change from cut to trade.

A Foles trade would be HUGE for Poles, literally a $5M difference and $8M in cap space overall. This trade has to happen.

If the coaching staff doesn't believe in Jackson, a pre-June 1st trade is not out of the question. $13.5M in dead cap, but you don't have to worry about his cap impacts in 23 and 24 when his cap hits get bigger AND he is off the roster in 2022. Another thing to consider, Jackson's pay is already in the cap space, so it's not like the Bears are adding $13.5M to the current number. A pre-June 1st trade would free up $1.5M and a roster spot from the current cap. OTC's valuation of Jackson has him at $1.3M. So saving $1.5M is actually a win.

Goldman is an easy cut (OTC Valuation = 420K), Cohen and Attaochu seem like two other somewhat easy ones. You save almost $11M cutting those 3, and there is pretty much zero drop ofif in roster production. You can sign 2x mid-FAs for $5M each and vet min guy for $1M with that money.

Great work!

Adam, I think they take a (we can win now ) attitude than to blow it up for future cap space. IF Fields is good, then will add and not subtract blue chip players. A Defense with a healthy Mack and Quinn player at a high level is scary. They will add a CB, SS, MLB and 3T. That will make this a top 10 defense. If they resign Nichols for 3T, they will be plenty of 2nd wave players to add to the D. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

1. Goldman $6.6M ($5.1M)
2. Quinn $4.4M ($12.7M) 
3. Mack $3.15M ($27M)
6. Cohen $2.25M ($3.5M)
7. Blackson $2.1M ($1M)

This is not a great year for drafting a QB.  I could see a team preferring to take on Foles giving them 1-2 years of adequate play and time to find the long term solution.   Having a competent QB is still needed to help develop other young players like WRs.  It's worth it and then you can be like KC and add the QB at the end of the build.  

On 2/17/2022 at 7:29 PM, Stinger226 said:

I think they move on from Goldman, Attaochu, Trevathan.  

Trevathan is immovable (thanks Pace). He would cost $3.2M more to cut than to have on the roster.  You could consider a post-June 1 cut, but then you are pushing dead cap into 2023. I don't think Poles is going to do that because they are not in a win-now mode for 2022. It's going to take at least 2 offseasons (2022 and 2023) to get this roster converted to fit the team's vision. So it doesn't make sense to incur dead money in future years unless it is the difference between signing a top guy to a long-term deal or not.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I heard last year, there was 2 teams that wanted to trade for him but Foles didn't want to go there so the  bears didn't make the trades.

There are several teams that could use him: Denver, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Cleveland, Houston, and the NY Giants. The Bears could use the cap space, and then sign a backup QB that is better suited to backup Fields.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This is not a great year for drafting a QB.  I could see a team preferring to take on Foles giving them 1-2 years of adequate play and time to find the long term solution.   Having a competent QB is still needed to help develop other young players like WRs.  It's worth it and then you can be like KC and add the QB at the end of the build.  

He is pretty cheap too at $10.6M. 2022 is his last year, so the team that traded for him could potentially get a comp pick down the road if he signed a decent deal with another team in 2023.

15 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Completely agree.  I wish we had a bunch of picks but that is what happens when a team has been run poorly for 15 years.  Let's hope Poles doesn't get desperate and start making drastic moves to try and quick fix it.

We can make a huge stride with 2 FA signings followed by a solid draft.  Get a Center and WR to help Fields. 

The loss of a 1st and 4th this year was due to Fields, so I am not bothered too much by that as I would rather have Fields than Toney, Jamar Johnson, and whoever the Giants will pick at #7 and in the 4th Round this year. The Bears also gained a little back by getting a 5th for a 7th in the Miller trade.

The only other lost pick on the books is a 2023 6th for Grant. Hopefully, the Bears can re-sign him so that trade is not a complete waste.

If Poles targeted guys are not there at 39, I can see him trading back for some additional picks. Having some extra to play with would be very nice (in a Quinn, Foles, or Jackson trade).

13 hours ago, adam said:

If Poles targeted guys are not there at 39, I can see him trading back for some additional picks. Having some extra to play with would be very nice (in a Quinn, Foles, or Jackson trade).

Since we have so many needs we will likely have many targets at that pick.  If it happens that none of them are on the board its likely other teams' targets are also no longer on the board.  That makes it more difficult to find a trade partner and more difficult to get good value for our pick.  

20 hours ago, adam said:

There are several teams that could use him: Denver, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Cleveland, Houston, and the NY Giants. The Bears could use the cap space, and then sign a backup QB that is better suited to backup Fields.

I think an idea team would be Jaguars. They have a lot of cap space and Pederson went there. We Would save 8 mil, and lose 2.6  .I would say to get that done, we might have to eat of the cap money. If Jaguars only had to pay him 5 mil, it would be more attractive of a deal.

To be able to trade   Mack or Quinn, you have to have a contending team with cap space. The only good teams that have cap space and a need, are the Chargers and Bengals. LA has Bosa, but that's it. Their head coach was here as Macks LB coach. They have 11 draft picks, so I expect them to try to draft one, but if they don't get the guy  they want, I can see them being the best chance for a trade. Which would be after the draft. 

Just seen where Anthony Hitchens, LB for KC was just released today. He was second on team in Ts. He played in Dallas when Eberflus was the DC. Sighed with KC on a money deal. Made 6.6 mil last year. Not sure If  SAM or MLB. He's 29, maybe  Matt would want him. Not a big TO guy. He played 53% of the snaps, must have not been part of the Nickel package. What say you?

I looked at PFF list of top150 free agents. A lot of  good players signed 1 year prove it deals last year. Anthony Walker played for the Browns last year. Led the team in Ts. Played in Indy the previous 4 yrs. He played for 2.5  mil. He's 27. Would be a perfect get at MLB. A 3 year- 14 mil should get him here. Give him 7 guaranteed. What say you

Also  ton of free agent Ss out there, we should  get a good value at SS. I would take a flyer on Terrell Edmunds. Got drafted at LB but they moved to SS .6'2" 220 and has 4.47 speed. He's 25. 

20 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I looked at PFF list of top150 free agents. A lot of  good players signed 1 year prove it deals last year. Anthony Walker played for the Browns last year. Led the team in Ts. Played in Indy the previous 4 yrs. He played for 2.5  mil. He's 27. Would be a perfect get at MLB. A 3 year- 14 mil should get him here. Give him 7 guaranteed. What say you

Also  ton of free agent Ss out there, we should  get a good value at SS. I would take a flyer on Terrell Edmunds. Got drafted at LB but they moved to SS .6'2" 220 and has 4.47 speed. He's 25. 

Hitchens makes a ton of sense. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Yeah, there are a ton of guys on there with some reasonable salaries if these are accurate:

28. Gallup, WR - $5M
38. Williams, G, $6.67M
42. Smith-Schuster, WR, - $8M
44. Maye, S - $6M
45. Nelson, CB - $7M
46. Jones, C - $6.67M
53. Corbett, G - $9.25M
57. Moses, T  - $7.5M
67. Allen, C - $7.25M
76. Jackson, CB - $10M
84. Alford, CB - $5M
86. Barr, LB - $7.25M
87. Collins, DL - $9.25M
89. Fuller, WR - $7M
94. Bozeman, C - $7M
96. Crowder, WR - $4.5M
98. Valdes-Scantling, WR - $10M
100. Douglas, CB - $6.75M
101. Gage, WR - $7.5M
103. Wilson, WR - $6.25M
105. Cole, WR - $6M
106. Woods, S - $5.25M
116. Williams, CB - $2.5M
122. Jones, WR - $6M
125. Berrios, WR - $6.67M
128. Glowinski, G - $6.25M
133. Karras, C - $4.33M
145. Fuller, CB - $5.75M
147. Hughes, CB - $3.25M
149. King, CB - $2.5M
150. Solder, OT - $5M
155. Phillips, DL - $6M
161. Harris, S - $3.5M
165. Nnadi, DL - $5.75M
170. Rhodes, CB - $3M
174. Higgins, WR - $2M
192. Walker, LB - $4M
193. Blythe, C - $1.25M

Our FAs that made the list:

10. Robinson, WR - $15M
23. Hicks, DL - $8.5M
40. Daniels, G - $10M
92. Ifedi, G - $6M
113. Dalton, QB - $7.25M
135. Peters, T - $2.5M
171. Nichols, DL - $8M
200. DHC - S - $1.75M

On 2/22/2022 at 3:38 PM, Stinger226 said:

Just seen where Anthony Hitchens, LB for KC was just released today. He was second on team in Ts. He played in Dallas when Eberflus was the DC. Sighed with KC on a money deal. Made 6.6 mil last year. Not sure If  SAM or MLB. He's 29, maybe  Matt would want him. Not a big TO guy. He played 53% of the snaps, must have not been part of the Nickel package. What say you?

If we're going to learn from the mistakes of our last GM I'm not that interested in giving a long contract to a 30yr old LB.   He's not a special player so if we're going to spend the kind of money Hitchens will want I'd rather find someone younger coming off their first contract.  If he sits on the market to the point he'll sign a 1yr deal then ok.   

In terms of FA fits this proposal feels more likely:  

Anthony Walker played for the Browns last year. Led the team in Ts. Played in Indy the previous 4 yrs. He played for 2.5  mil. He's 27. Would be a perfect get at MLB. A 3 year- 14 mil should get him here. Give him 7 guaranteed. What say you