Schofield (RG) signs One Year Deal

adam

This would be a huge signing. He was one of the RGs I wanted at the beginning of free agency once they missed out on Bates.

Very reliable and not many penalties. Would be a plug-and-play RG and instant upgrade there.

A Whitehair-Patrick-Schofield interior would be very solid and an upgrade at basically 2 positions from last year (Patrick > Mustipher, Schofield > Daniels).

The Chargers have redone their oline, and he is going to be turning 32 this fall. He has more experience than Dozier did, the player he is replacing. Last year in 12 games he had a 67 grade at PFF (just a comparison tool) which is considered average. Only gave up two sacks. I think if the players they project at RG, doesnt work out,  he is a back up vet for stability. As much as Daniels was considered a better player, we need to not forget, he gave up 39 pressures last year, the second worst number for a OG in the NFL.

I suspect this is an indication Jenkins is not moving to RG.  I'm assuming that Jenkins would likely be a starter at RG if they moved him there, which could be totally wrong too since they wouldn't even give him a single snap there.  If Jenkins were there you'd have either Patrick or Mustipher as backups.  It also indicates that none of the young interior guys were looking that great even as backups.   Adding a vet to this spot would definitely make me feel better heading into the season.   This guy having some versatility between OG/OT would be nice to have on game day too.   I'm really curious how this Oline lines up on day 1 in camp.  

He has started 81 games in his career with only 5 total false starts and 5 holding penalties. 

In comparison, Daniels started 48 games and has had 4 false starts and 5 holding penalties, almost twice the rate. 

Schofield is not going to be a Pro Bowl caliber player, but he is an upgrade over Mustipher and Dozier for sure. 

The remaining interior players that had over 75% of their teams snaps in 2021 include: Flowers, Tretter, Spain, Price, Hopkins, and Schofield. Spain was terrible, Flowers has always been overrated and overpaid. So Schofield seems like the best fit for the price. An upgrade that will not break the bank. He is also a Chicago native from Orland Park. 

12 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Good addition, but I wonder why they waited so long to do this.  Maybe they wanted to fill Dozier's spot after OTAs but it was just timing on when they could get him in for a workout?

I have to believe losing Dozier for the season due to a knee injury was the reason for Poles to bring in a replacement this late in preseason.

I like the addition. Can play both OG & OT. I'm sure he will ne signed to a reasonable 1 year contract. 

23 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I have to believe losing Dozier for the season due to a knee injury was the reason for Poles to bring in a replacement this late in preseason.

I like the addition. Can play both OG & OT. I'm sure he will ne signed to a reasonable 1 year contract. 

I agree, Poles wanted a couple vets to go with his young guys. With Dozier gone, we have Patrick, Schofield , Coleman, and Davenport. All have starter experience . All just average rating but could get you by if needed. I still think if any of the young guys are close, they will start. I still think we could see Patrick at RG and Mustifer at OC to start with. I know PFF is unreliable but I use them for comparison reasons. Schofield has a 67.5 overall rating , 72 for pass blocking and 58 for run blocking. Patrick has similar numbers but is a little better run blocker. I think we emphasize running the ball to start out with.

33 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Yes but Dozier's injury was many weeks ago... Jun 15.  Surely the Bears knew within 1 day the extent of the injury.  Why wait 5 weeks to bring in his replacement?   Maybe they were seriously considering moving Jenkins inside.  This all happened after the rookies reported so perhaps Jenkins came back in better shape to play RT so they pivot back to bringing in more competition at RG.  I'm just having fun with speculation but there's almost no good reason to wait this long after the injury to sign Schofield.     The sooner he got his hands on the playbook the better.  

I am totally good with Borom, Whitehair, Patrick, Schofield, Jenkins with Braxton Jones and Mustipher as the backups. 

PFF is really terrible. It is not hard to find pressures/sacks allowed and penalties with snap counts. Schofield is above average at pass blocking and average at run blocking. We will more than likely run to the left and to both edges more than going behind Schofield, which is fine. 

Duane Brown, LT (SEA), Bryan Bulaga, RT (LAC), Eric Fisher, LT (IND), Darryl Williams, RT (BUF), Riley Reiff, RT (CIN), and Nate Solder, LT (NYG) are still available at tackle.

I would be fine with either of these guys:

Darryl Williams, RT (BUF), 30 yrs old, 97.8% of snaps

Eric Fisher, LT (IND), 31 yrs old, 78.5% of snaps

Adding an OT vet would really solidify the line. That would give Borom, Jenkins, and/or Jones more time to develop. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Meh.  He's a good depth piece, but nothing above average.  He plays too high.

He is an upgrade over anyone we have on the roster for RG. Local guy, maybe a little more motivated playing at home.

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yes but Dozier's injury was many weeks ago... Jun 15.  Surely the Bears knew within 1 day the extent of the injury.  Why wait 5 weeks to bring in his replacement?   Maybe they were seriously considering moving Jenkins inside.  This all happened after the rookies reported so perhaps Jenkins came back in better shape to play RT so they pivot back to bringing in more competition at RG.  I'm just having fun with speculation but there's almost no good reason to wait this long after the injury to sign Schofield.     The sooner he got his hands on the playbook the better.  

They may  have needed to do more evaluation of their players before deciding what they need. Remember Schofirld can also play OT. There expectations changed.

20 hours ago, adam said:

Duane Brown, LT (SEA), Bryan Bulaga, RT (LAC), Eric Fisher, LT (IND), Darryl Williams, RT (BUF), Riley Reiff, RT (CIN), and Nate Solder, LT (NYG) are still available at tackle.

I would be fine with either of these guys:

Darryl Williams, RT (BUF), 30 yrs old, 97.8% of snaps

Eric Fisher, LT (IND), 31 yrs old, 78.5% of snaps

Adding an OT vet would really solidify the line. That would give Borom, Jenkins, and/or Jones more time to develop. 

:headbang