ESPN Offensive Line Rankings

adam

Bears came in at 11:

11. Chicago Bears
Projected starters: Riley Reiff, Cody Whitehair, Lucas Patrick, Michael Schofield III, Larry Borom

Predicted pass block rank: No. 13
Predicted run block rank: No. 11

This is a pretty stunning rank for the Bears' offensive line, but they have a few things going for them. Reiff and Schofield -- late additions just before training camp -- help bolster the line. Borom, a fifth-round pick a year ago, posted a very solid 90% PBWR last season in 10 games, 21st among tackles. And Patrick should be an asset in the ground game after ranking third in RBWR among centers last season with the Packers.

The additions of Reiff and Schofield helped out a lot. The line could be even better if Jones or Jenkins beat out Borom. Then the 2 that don't win the starting job become super subs with Mustipher as depth. That is a very solid O-Line and a lot better than last year. 

5 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

PFF has them like 28th but I am sure they all will upgrade after adding Reiff and Schofield showed up. I think its possible they turn out pretty good. 

Yeah, those guys help a lot. I would be happy with top 15.

28 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

No way in hell we are top 20.

No way I care what these guys think.  The players are almost all different, the scheme is entirely new.  At best someone did a drive-by of training camp.  We all know Braxton Jones is going to make some mental errors in his first few games.  I always want to win every game but I'm not as interested in how we start as much as how we finish the season.  I want these coaches to show me they can develop young talent and put players in the best position to succeed with good play calling.  

I agree. EVEN IF these ARE the names of the starters on a top 10 OL in two years, they will not be top 15 this year. We are doing the right thing developing young players and building something. It's gonna take a minute, but then we will actually have something for several years to come after that.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We want the same thing.  No way in hell it's gonna be top 20 though.  I'm looking at bottom 25 and maybe get to top 20 by end of season.  That is progress and improvement for me this year.

I think top 20 by end of the year is achievable but we'll need one of the young OTs to step up and play well to achieve that.  

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

No way I care what these guys think.  The players are almost all different, the scheme is entirely new.  At best someone did a drive-by of training camp.  We all know Braxton Jones is going to make some mental errors in his first few games.  I always want to win every game but I'm not as interested in how we start as much as how we finish the season.  I want these coaches to show me they can develop young talent and put players in the best position to succeed with good play calling.  

Well said

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Honestly, you never know what can happen - what's possible is anything, but what's probable is that they will not be a very great or consistent OL this year as they learn.

I think the fact we will concentrate on the running game will help the line get acclimated to the NFL speed. Then throw is some play action, scrambling and a few deep drops, and you may be building something.