Revisit the 2022 draft before the season

adam

After watching all of training camp and the preseason to date, I don't think I have ever seen so many draft picks have a chance to make the 53-man roster, especially considering most were 5th round picks or later.

2    39    KYLER GORDON    CB    WASHINGTON - Obviously a lock for the 53-man
2    48    JAQUAN BRISKER    S    PENN STATE - Obviously a lock for the 53-man
3    71    VELUS JONES JR.    WR    TENNESSEE - Obviously a lock for the 53-man
5    168    BRAXTON JONES    OT    SOUTHERN UTAH - Unbelievable pick if he starts Week 1 as LT and looks good. Pick of the draft maybe.
5    174    DOMINIQUE ROBINSON    DE    MIAMI (OH) - Another crazy 5th rounder. Might not start, but looks like he will be on the 53-man.
6    186    ZACHARY THOMAS    OT    SAN DIEGO STATE - Might slide in at the last OT spot depending on how many they keep, otherwise the PS.
6    203    TRESTAN EBNER    RB    BAYLOR - He is trending towards making the roster, his return ability is a huge plus. 
6    207    DOUG KRAMER    C    ILLINOIS - Looked like he was going to make it before injury.
7    226    JA'TYRE CARTER    OG    SOUTHERN - Very similar to Thomas, may slide in or the PS for sure.
7    254    ELIJAH HICKS    FS    CAL - A 7th round Safety that might make the 53-man is shocking. This would be another "pick of the draft"
7    255    TRENTON GILL    P  NC STATE - Our starting punter who is putting a ton inside the 20. 

Just based on draft position alone, Jones, Robinson, and Hicks make this an insane draft. Then you add Brisker, Gordon, Jones, and Ebner. This will be a quick rebuild if this draft holds up like this.

Based on what I've seen of Herbert's poor pass protection I think Ebner is trending to take over his spot as the #2 RB.   The season might not start that way but as Ebner gains experience against different defensive fronts/rush schemes and his blocking assignments I think he get more snaps.  Ebner is also a much better receiver.   

2 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The draft was a little deeper this year also since many players opted out for covid the year before.  I am glad Poles understood this and took as many late picks as he could get. Some of this guys may be slotted a round or two better in a weaker draft.

I remember us discussing the depth of the draft before it occurred.  Also, was the huge talking point of Poles needing to maximize the draft by getting as many picks as possible.  He had the one time benefit of getting  intell from 5 different organizations.  It looks to have been fruitful so far.