Justin Fields final preseason tune-up

adam

Fields 14-16, 156 yds, 9.8 Y/A, 3 TD, 146.9 QB Rating

compare to other young QBs:

Jones 9-13, 71 yds, 5.5 Y/A, 1 INT, 56.8 QB Rating
Lance 7-11, 49 yds, 4.5 Y/A, 73.7 QB Rating
Mills 6-10, 58 yds, 5.8 Y/A, 1 TD, 1 INT, 70.0 QB Rating
Love 16-26, 148 yds, 5.7 Y/A, 1 INT, 61.1 QB Rating

Since we don't have a game thread I'll just use this one.  First off, the stream that I found had some glitches so there were a few plays I missed especially the first series which I caught the end of and was a 3 and out.  Also I had the feed from Cleveland.   They had no clue on the Bears players and while they kept talking about how starters were out for Cleveland they had no clue which backups were in for the Bears.  Which was their excuse for some of the poor play.  

Fields looked really good when he had time.  He was finding players all over the field.   There were some pressures and and it wasn't all good news but he avoided the big mistake.  We know there are talent gaps on the roster but if this is a sign of things to come when we close the talent gap we're in good hands.  

Since I was stuck watching on the computer I couldn't really focus on the Oline play.  Overall I felt their play was positive but there were missteps.  Unfortunately we didn't get reps against their top DEs. 

Some of the play calling I really liked such as the delay screen to the RB on the right side.  Maybe it wasn't even a screen pass per se just a delayed flat route by the RB but regardless it was well executed and the kind of play we haven't seen for years.   

WRs were ok but again Cleveland didn't have their top CBs in.  Kmet is going to cause defenses problems this year.  His TD while Fields was out of the pocket is a sign of trouble for DBs when Fields extends plays outside the pocket.  

On defense quite a few times we dropped a DT into a zone coverage and rushed 3.  I'm not sure how often we'll see that but it was clearly something they wanted to practice.  

Kyler Gordon got a lot of snap, other starters much less.  These coaches definitely believe in getting enough game action to get ready for the season.  

I can’t pretend to know where any of these guys actually are on the depth chart, but:

Guys who I thought helped themselves tonight: Greg Stroman, Davonte Harris, Dante Pettis, Trevon Coley (really hope we keep him)

Guys who I thought hurt themselves: Tuggle (fumble), Chris Finke (drop), Duke Shelley, 

48 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I can’t pretend to know where any of these guys actually are on the depth chart, but:

Guys who I thought helped themselves tonight: Greg Stroman, Davonte Harris, Dante Pettis, Trevon Coley (really hope we keep him)

Guys who I thought hurt themselves: Tuggle (fumble), Chris Finke (drop), Duke Shelley, 

I have no idea how much input Fields has on receivers but I just watched his press conference where he said Pettis is one of the best route runners, if not the best, on the team.  Of course we have injuries but Pettis has to be in the bubble discussion or he wouldn't have gotten as many reps with the starters.   

44 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I have no idea how much input Fields has on receivers but I just watched his press conference where he said Pettis is one of the best route runners, if not the best, on the team.  Of course we have injuries but Pettis has to be in the bubble discussion or he wouldn't have gotten as many reps with the starters.   

could be - another reason would be to get him up to game speed since he missed time? They have him in the top 6 of the depth chart, so it could be either one I guess.

Im looking forward to seeing Pringle and Patrick in there - I think the offense will take a step when they are.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

could be - another reason would be to get him up to game speed since he missed time? They have him in the top 6 of the depth chart, so it could be either one I guess.

Im looking forward to seeing Pringle and Patrick in there - I think the offense will take a step when they are.

I'm curious to see the full complement of speed:  Pringle, Jones, and Ebner.   We got a small sample tonight of what happens when Fields gets time to throw.  The Oline isn't good enough for that happen every week but I think they are good enough now to see that against some below average Dlines.  Opening up against SF and then GB who both have good Dlines will tell us a lot.  

I think Patrick will provide a more stable performance at C than Mustipher but I'm not sure he's a big upgrade.  At his lighter weight Mustipher is playing better this year.  Both talents are closer to career backups than to starters but maybe Patrick will surprise us.  

Pettis has speed and probably has the most upside at WR. Mooney and Kmet are going to be  target gobblers, we just just need a couple of other playmakers to show some consistency.The running game is in good hands with Monty, Herbert and Ebner. When you establish the run it builds up confidence for the Oline, just move and go. The scheming will help with the pass blocking. You throw in draws and screens , we will be able to keep defenders off balance. Then throw in Fields legs and this team will be hard to defend.

It seemed like Justin Jones was all over the field last night. He has a high motor and is going to surprise people ( like me) that thought the 3T spot was a weakness. Covey keeps showing up on tape.

The defense seems to have an attitude. The 7 to the ball with our speed is going to be successful. Matt Adams and Morrow can run. Roquan is just going to be that much better. Barring injuries, the DBs will be our biggest threat going forward. They can play..

My optimism was always high because of the upside of Fields, and now it is starting to transfer to the field. I hope we win 9 or 10 games just to see the backpedaling by national writers on their doomsday predictions.

People (media) are definitely watching now.  Here is Kurt Warner's assessment of Fields performance against Cleveland.  It's very interesting to compare his thoughts vs.  J.T. O'Sullivan's.   Warner does a great job highlighting the room for growth.  IMO at this point in a brand new scheme us Bears fans see how far he's come in a short time, even just over the preseason games.   

After listening to Getsy's press conference this week where he said there was a lot of room for Fields (and the entire offense) to improve I suspect Getsy is seeing things in a similar fashion as to what Warner says.  We can see the improved mechanics, which I wasn't sure Fields would maintain under pressure but he has.  His mind is just a half second behind on some plays.  Given how much new information he's digesting at NFL game speed I get it.  If Getsy can help him close that gap we're going to see something at the QB position we've never seen in Chicago.  

Its amazing how negative the national press still is on the Bears . Of course there are lots of questions but we have to trust the process until it proves wrong. The best way to shut them up is to have a successful first game against SF. It doesnt even have to be a win but at least have a offensive presence.