Leatherwood to NFI 4wk, Schofield re-signed

AZ54

I'm not sure I understand why we'd do this.  Schofield backs up RG and I presume RT.  Is Lucas Patrick going to play C?  Even then you have to think Mustipher is backup C/RG or isn't he?  Eiselen was brought up to 53 last game day as backup C.  

I understood carrying one extra Olineman in Leatherwood because of his potential.  Schofield on the opposite end of that spectrum.  The only real advantage I can see is keeping him in the system for a few more weeks and away from anyone else who might need OG help.  Not that I'd worry if he was blocking for someone else.  

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not sure I understand why we'd do this.  Schofield backs up RG and I presume RT.  Is Lucas Patrick going to play C?  Even then you have to think Mustipher is backup C/RG or isn't he?  Eiselen was brought up to 53 last game day as backup C.  

I understood carrying one extra Olineman in Leatherwood because of his potential.  Schofield on the opposite end of that spectrum.  The only real advantage I can see is keeping him in the system for a few more weeks and away from anyone else who might need OG help.  Not that I'd worry if he was blocking for someone else.  

Reiff is on the injury report with a shoulder, so that may be why they want someone else like Schofield that can play T or G.

28 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I think Shocfield can play LG also. Leatherwood was listed as the backup RT, Im sure Shocfield can play RT until whatever injury Reiff has is healed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Of the rumor mill is correct and he was out with Mono then it's hard to know where his conditioning is at and how many weeks to get back in shape.  I'm very curious if they'll give him a look at LG with Whitehair out.  He's only practiced with this team for a week or two so he's definitely not a near term fix anywhere but they obviously didn't like any of the other options at LG (Carter, Schofield, etc.).  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-ol-alex-leatherwood-returns-to-practice

At the risk of being redundant, if Leatherwood does have Mono and got it back in early September he’s probably just starting to become symptom-free.  Because it’s such an energy-suck illness it could take him another 2-4 weeks (or all of the 21 day window) to get back up to full strength. Even then his conditioning may be lagging for being game ready . I suspect we won’t see him on the field in the next few weeks. 

In a related note, I see the team is still holding at 52 (for the roster) with LB Adams on IR.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

At the risk of being redundant, if Leatherwood does have Mono and got it back in early September he’s probably just starting to become symptom-free.  Because it’s such an energy-suck illness it could take him another 2-4 weeks (or all of the 21 day window) to get back up to full strength. Even then his conditioning may be lagging for being game ready . I suspect we won’t see him on the field in the next few weeks. 

In a related note, I see the team is still holding at 52 (for the roster) with LB Adams on IR.  

I could be wrong but I don't think they had to start the 21 day window, he just had to be on IR for a minimum of 4 weeks.    If his return was many weeks away they could have just kept him on IR another week or two.  The big thing with the 21 day window is to let them practice and get back into shape before being active.  If they do not add him to the 53-man roster within 21 days then he's on IR the rest of the season.  

23 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they had to start the 21 day window, he just had to be on IR for a minimum of 4 weeks.    If his return was many weeks away they could have just kept him on IR another week or two.  The big thing with the 21 day window is to let them practice and get back into shape before being active.  If they do not add him to the 53-man roster within 21 days then he's on IR the rest of the season.  

We can't get him in shape soon enough...??

14 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Has to be better than these two.  The look on Fields face is checked out.

I dunno. Fields seems to be frustrated as hell, but he is practicing staying calm, so i think that's what you see on his face. He's no Jay Cutler, inside he is churning. He's a hero, who doesnt have the tools yet. It must kill him. I think he's going to be amazing in the future.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dunno. Fields seems to be frustrated as hell, but he is practicing staying calm, so i think that's what you see on his face. He's no Jay Cutler, inside he is churning. He's a hero, who doesnt have the tools yet. It must kill him. I think he's going to be amazing in the future.

It is just his eyes looking up after receivers drop passes or him getting hit as soon as the ball is snapped and he gets up slow like he is hurt.  I hope he doesn't give up but this is what destroys a young QB

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It is just his eyes looking up after receivers drop passes or him getting hit as soon as the ball is snapped and he gets up slow like he is hurt.  I hope he doesn't give up but this is what destroys a young QB

you can tell he isnt a quitter. look at that scramble to set up first and goal on the 6.

I think that the rolling of eyes is his frustration, not his quitting. He's trying SO hard to stay calm. He is burning to win. It's obvious to me. This guy is a fighter.

He needs time in the pocket and guys to get open and then catch the ball. and a running game.

22 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

you can tell he isnt a quitter. look at that scramble to set up first and goal on the 6.

I think that the rolling of eyes is his frustration, not his quitting. He's trying SO hard to stay calm. He is burning to win. It's obvious to me. This guy is a fighter.

He needs time in the pocket and guys to get open and then catch the ball. and a running game.

He may not quit but he is thinking what else can I do.  He still  has a ways to go along with receivers and blockers.  It will take adding some pieces and it will take a couple years to get.  Hope he doesn't break.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He may not quit but he is thinking what else can I do.  He still  has a ways to go along with receivers and blockers.  It will take adding some pieces and it will take a couple years to get.  Hope he doesn't break.

I think he knows a new roster is coming next year.