Week 6 Thur Night Football Bears vs. Commanders

AZ54

I haven't watched or even noticed a thing the Washington Football Team has done this year.  It appears their HC blames the QB for their 1-4 record so that's cool: 

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/10/ron-rivera-on-why-other-nfc-east-teams-are-ahead-of-washington-commanders-quarterback-carson-wentz/

Of course he's backpedaling as fast as he can but on a short week there is no better way to get your 1-4 team fired up to go on the road for a nationally televised broadcast where every single player has to answer the "QB" question.  

WFT offense:  Passing 6th in yds but they are bottom 4 in Rushing. but they've tossed 6 INTs.  

WFT defense:  Passing middle of the pack,   Rush middle of the pack

They have a few injuries including Jahan Dotson who likely won't play.   Their starting RT missed practice with a finger injury so if he has to wear any kind of a cast or even tape on his hand it could affect his ability to block.  Starting TE Logan Thomas also can't practice.  

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-week-6-injury-report-vs-chicago-bears-tight-end-logan-thomas-didnt-practice-tuesday/

I don't like TNF because I don't think it's enough rest for the players and these games are often chaotic.  Our defense, in particular our pass rush finally needs to show up in this game.  Get on the QB early and often and make everyone think, like their HC, that they are losing because of Wentz.   

We might see Jaylon Johnson back and a play or two with N’Keal Harry. I’m hoping he adds another realistic option for Fields.  Sucks that it’s a quick turnaround but at least it’s in Chicago.

I have more confidence in Fields than I do Wentz at this point.  Im not sure he’s the reason they’re losing but I’m certain he’s not the reason for winning .   

Harry was the best blocking WR in the league last yr. I can see him playing a lot but more in run situations. 

Wentz is up and down a lot, he is going into the game hurt, so if we finally can get a little pressure, he should  turn the ball over. We havent been blitzing at all, maybe to generate a little more pressure, we need to add that in. Roquan and Brisker in blitz mode wouldnt hurt. 

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't like TNF because I don't think it's enough rest for the players and these games are often chaotic.  Our defense, in particular our pass rush finally needs to show up in this game.  Get on the QB early and often and make everyone think, like their HC, that they are losing because of Wentz.   

Short turn around is hard on players but because of the conditioning program Flus put our team through, and the fact it is in Chicago, I think we will be at a big advantage over Washington late in the game when players typically begin to wear down.

I forgot ... Charles Leno is their LT.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/top-individual-matchups-for-commanders-and-bears

The Bears run up against their longtime starting left tackle and he is still fooling the people at Pro Football Focus, who for years have loved his production even while Bears quarterbacks had to watch their backs. He is rated currently as the 10th best tackle in the league and the NFL's third-best pass blocker at tackle. Overall, PFF puts him two behind Washington right tackle Samuel Cosmi. 

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I forgot ... Charles Leno is their LT.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/top-individual-matchups-for-commanders-and-bears

The Bears run up against their longtime starting left tackle and he is still fooling the people at Pro Football Focus, who for years have loved his production even while Bears quarterbacks had to watch their backs. He is rated currently as the 10th best tackle in the league and the NFL's third-best pass blocker at tackle. Overall, PFF puts him two behind Washington right tackle Samuel Cosmi. 

lol!

21 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I haven't watched or even noticed a thing the Washington Football Team has done this year.  It appears their HC blames the QB for their 1-4 record so that's cool: 

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/10/ron-rivera-on-why-other-nfc-east-teams-are-ahead-of-washington-commanders-quarterback-carson-wentz/

Of course he's backpedaling as fast as he can but on a short week there is no better way to get your 1-4 team fired up to go on the road for a nationally televised broadcast where every single player has to answer the "QB" question.  

WFT offense:  Passing 6th in yds but they are bottom 4 in Rushing. but they've tossed 6 INTs.  

WFT defense:  Passing middle of the pack,   Rush middle of the pack

They have a few injuries including Jahan Dotson who likely won't play.   Their starting RT missed practice with a finger injury so if he has to wear any kind of a cast or even tape on his hand it could affect his ability to block.  Starting TE Logan Thomas also can't practice.  

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-week-6-injury-report-vs-chicago-bears-tight-end-logan-thomas-didnt-practice-tuesday/

Chico calling out Wentz, who is a veteran, is fine with me.  If Wentz takes offense, that's more than he's produce the last few years ?.   I hope they play Wentz because the other kid did pretty good last year. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Chico calling out Wentz, who is a veteran, is fine with me.  If Wentz takes offense, that's more than he's produce the last few years ?.   I hope they play Wentz because the other kid did pretty good last year. 

I've seen enough of Wentz to know he doesn't take the game seriously.  In Indy, he relied on his athletic talent alone.  He's a good dude that will never understand that God given talent is simply not good enough for the QB position.  IE:  goofball...

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I hope not considering Patrick is supposed to be the starting Center...at some point.  

I'm not sure he can play center at this point.  He has no base.(no ass)  Constantly getting driven back to the QB.  Fields has to be better.  Mistakes into account for both teams, we should be ahead 14-7.  100% on Fields.

11 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Curious why Schofield was in to relieve Jenkins before Patrick went out with an injury(?)  

Things were looking up at the beginning of the 2nd half...until Jones Jr. muffed another punt.  

Thankfully Wentz is looking more crappy than Fields is getting rushed/sacked/beat up.

The Bears oline is pathetic.  Anyone with the coaches film can make a comedy from it.  They need Whitehair back fast and sit Mustispher.  Jones and Borum are not long term fixtures either.  Good backups, sure. 

And now the sloppiness is starting to rear its ugly head.  Lots of pure garbage all around (dropped punts, dropped passes, delay of game, missed tackles).  

This team came out of the gate with lots of promise at the start of the season. They seemed disciplined, full of energy (especially towards the end of the game) and although considered underdogs, played like they could win.  Suddenly as we see this game begin to close out, the team is a shell of its former self...only five weeks removed.  I optimistically went into this season with thinking they'd win 8-9 games, now I'm not so sure.  

I think this is a good culture in the making, with good coaches, and just an abyssmal roster. I'm sold on Eberflus and Fields now. The rest awaits next year.

This is year zero: a year long Pro Football camp where players learn to play just like the real NFL players, and maybe at the end some will make it onto a real NFL next year, like the Bears for example, who are scheduled to re-open regular football operations some time in February.

42 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think this is a good culture in the making, with good coaches, and just an abyssmal roster. I'm sold on Eberflus and Fields now. The rest awaits next year.

This is year zero: a year long Pro Football camp where players learn to play just like the real NFL players, and maybe at the end some will make it onto a real NFL next year, like the Bears for example, who are scheduled to re-open regular football operations some time in February.

From an Emma tweet:

Justin Fields: “We always get told that we’re almost there, almost there. Me personally, I’m tired of being almost there. I’m tired of being this close. I feel like I’ve been hearing it for so long. At the end of the day, all you can do is get back to work.”

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

From an Emma tweet:

Justin Fields: “We always get told that we’re almost there, almost there. Me personally, I’m tired of being almost there. I’m tired of being this close. I feel like I’ve been hearing it for so long. At the end of the day, all you can do is get back to work.”

yeah I love that. I wish Eberflus was more fiery, but maybe this isnt the year for that. But Justin told the truth, and he is not quitting. He wants to win! Unfortunately, he doesnt have the pieces around him AND hes not ready yet, and its hard to get ready when you're constantly being knocked around with no time to throw.

Worse than some of the football being played was the Amazon team trying to cover the game.  Now for the rest of the story...

Everyone has been all over the issues with Patrick and Mustipher, rightfully so.  I like our coaching staff but what were they seeing that convinced them on 4th and goal to call a run behind those two?   

I don't blame Fields for not looking at Pettis on that 3rd and short where he tried to hit Mooney over the top.  At this point the odds of Mooney making a great catch are higher than the odds of Pettis making a routine catch.  

With all the uproar over the lack of offense our D quietly had a very good game.  Gordon is starting to get quick stops on plays.  The blitzes got home often or forced some errant throws.  Eddie Jackson is flying around.  I'd prefer to see him wrapping people up but an incoming missile that hits it target has a positive effect.  There will be no hiding the DT issues on this roster all season.  

Fields had his hiccups but two players over the last 3 games have cost us wins. V. Jones and IS-M. Take those plays away and we had a good chance at wins. 

My takes:

Fields is a tough kid , he keeps getting up after being beat up every game.

I think I only saw one roll out. I dont get it, you have a strong D line your playing and you keep putting him in a pocket.

V. Jones and IS-M need to be sitting on the bench. We need to find some WRs that can hold on to the ball.

Defensively we played well, we had timely blitzes that Williams doesnt normally do.

Is Fields missteps because he keeps getting beat up and is getting gun shy plus not trusting WRs to catch the ball? There were other WRs open but keeps feeding Mooney. 

I dont think there is fixing the OL or WR room during the season. Whitehair comes back and moving Patrick to OC is about the best we can expect. Whitehair cant come back until Nov 6 against Miami.  2 more games of this crap against good defenses. 

I listened to Jim Miller on the Score around 1230 today, and was very insightful. He made a lot of good points about the development of Fields. Instead of throwing it to the WRs he is trying to guess what the WR will be. Example when he led Griffin to much. Everyone was saying Griffin slowed down but he was wide open and just throw and hit him in the numbers. He thinks to much. Example he had Pettis wide open across the middle but tried to hit Mooney because he trusts him more. You can replay the Score on Audicy if you didnt hear it.