Week 8 Official Game Thread - CHI at DAL, +10, O/U 42.5, 1200 on Fox

adam

The Cowboys are technically the toughest opponent the Bears will have faced to date. They are 3rd in DVOA, have the #18 offense and #2 defense. So another huge challenge for Fields and the offense. It looks like the Cowboys will be without Elliott, but have Prescott back. 

I never liked this matchup and it still looks pretty bad. The line is heavily in the the Cowboys favor. It will depend on which teams show up. If the Bears team that played the Pats shows up, the Bears can actually win this game, but if any other team shows up, it could be a long day against that defense. 

I figure this one will be a little bit lower scoring. Dallas only scored 24 against the Lions, but only allowed 6. They have allowed only 17 or under in every win, and 19 and over in every loss. So that seems like the sweet spot. The Bears will need probably 24+ to win.

I am going:

Cowboys 27-17

The lower the score means we have a better chance of winning. It will come down to the end of the game with a chance to win and that will be the best we can hope for. We will run the ball, be physical, and neutralize the pass rush, that will keep us in the game. Remember that the last 3 losses we were in the games but stupid mistakes cost us wins. If we limit mistakes, we definitely can win this game.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The lower the score means we have a better chance of winning. It will come down to the end of the game with a chance to win and that will be the best we can hope for. We will run the ball, be physical, and neutralize the pass rush, that will keep us in the game. Remember that the last 3 losses we were in the games but stupid mistakes cost us wins. If we limit mistakes, we definitely can win this game.

This is the old Tampa - Tony Dungy style - the tree Eberflus comes from. You run the ball, throw off of play action, play bend but dont break defense, and go ahead 17-13 in the 4th quarter. And when our offense opens up and puts up 34 points, it'll be hard for any but really good teams to beat.

Right now, if we play within ourselves, and let our conditioning help us in the 4th quarter, we can win games. But where we are going is much more dynamic.

It looks like we have a bright future ahead, and we should be in most games until then. Play without mistakes, and we will win our share.

15 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Right now, if we play within ourselves, and let our conditioning help us in the 4th quarter, we can win games. But where we are going is much more dynamic.

What you said here is absolutely key going forward. Not expecting a win but will be very happy for it.  Will especially enjoy it if we can see Jerry Jones pouting in his press box. 

3 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Can we get rid of the Orange Unis? Please? I can't imagine GSH would have approved.

Yeah, not a good look. Vildor forgot how to play apparently. They targeted him early and often and he got burned every time. 

Bears already down 7-0

56 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Can we get rid of the Orange Unis? Please? I can't imagine GSH would have approved.

Yeah, not a good look. Vildor forgot how to play apparently. They targeted him early and often and he got burned every time. 

28 pts before the half? The Cowboys plays are so predictable too. 

Offense at least needs to put up some pts, but this game is over. The Pats game was the fluke, these are the Bears.

If they don't help Vildor or replace him, it is going to be a long game. Literally 75% of their first downs, receptions, and runs were at him. The rest of the defense is playing good enough.

Jackson with a huge INT there. Cowboys were getting cocky there. A TD to open the 2nd half would make it a 4 pt game, which is insane to think if you look at the Dallas offensive stats. 

Even if they lose, I just want to see Fields make some more plays with his arm. Mooney and Kmet are still way too silent for me. Velus drops what should've been a long catch. Fields needs some help.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Velus drops what should've been a long catch. Fields needs some help.

Understand that he’s a rookie but so far all he’s shown is he can run fast.  

Lovin N’Keal Harry.  He’s the poor man version of DK Metcalf…without the speed and is injury prone. 

Justin is playing smart.  The defense getting burnt is overshadowing his solid play today. 

Getsy gets too cute (Nagy flashbacks) on what should be an easy conversion. Why do a direct snap to Monty? What is that doing? It just draws all the defenders to him. Which is exactly what happened. Such and odd call and play design on that one.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

One silver lining is that so far the Bears have scored 29 pts against the second best defense in the league.  So far no one else in the league has done that.  And they’ve played Philly, the Chargers and Bengals.  

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They can take that first half and be happy. They fought back. They need more talent in the trenches both sides and a stud WR.  

Exactly right. They arent a disaster, they just dont have enough talent. But they stood tall against a far superior team, and put 29 points up.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

The defense stayed on the plane.  

I was curious how the defense would react to losing Quinn.  Not so much with him being gone but how Roquan was visibly bothered by his leaving. And with him as one of the leaders, it seemed the defense was a bit lackluster.  

Having been a Vildor fan last year I am no longer. Time to keep Gordon there unless you think he’s better served playing the NB.

I am a fan of Brisker for sure.  He was out of place a few times but he sure does a nice job in run support and inst afraid to hit.  

11 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Having been a Vildor fan last year I am no longer. Time to keep Gordon there unless you think he’s better served playing the NB.

I am a fan of Brisker for sure.  He was out of place a few times but he sure does a nice job in run support and inst afraid to hit.  

Yeah, Brisker was out of place, but I too like what he brings. He's a keeper and hopefully for many years to come.