Week 9 Game Thread Mia @ Chi

AZ54

With all the trade talk taking over the week we are at Fri with no game thread for this Sun against Miami as of yet.  

Health-wise we are getting better.  Whitehair is not only returning to the 53 but is on track to start.  Jenkins struggled with some back issues earlier in the week but has had 2 full practices and is off the injury report.  Borom is off concussion protocol but might not start.  My guess is Reiff played well enough to keep Borom as backup since he's had just one practice.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-cody-whitehair-larry-borom-good-to-go

Stopping the Fins WRs is going to be a problem and with us relying more on backups at LB and DE.  Their running game has not been good so that at least plays into our strength in pass coverage somewhat if we can generate a pass rush.  

Their run defense has been good but they are bottom 5 giving up a lot of yards in pass defense.   

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Their run defense has been good but they are bottom 5 giving up a lot of yards in pass defense. 

Their pass rush defense got a shot in the arm when they traded for former Denver pass rusher Bradley Chubb.  This trade took place about the same time the Bears got Claypool.  Gonna probably need outside help from the TEs.  

I think to have any shot in this game, it's going to be about our defense getting pass pressure, which is something they haven't done at all this year.

We have a screen and draw game as well as a running QB to punish pass rushers for being too agressive, but without the Bears generating any pass pressure, we will get blown out again.

And for this year, if our offense keeps putting up 30+ points for the rest of the on good defenses, I dont mind losing the games because the defense cant get pressure. That almost sounds ideal for this year.

Then again, if someone on the Bears D line starts to flash, so much the better.

Can you imagine Vildor trying to defend Hill or Waddle? McDaniels clearly saw what Dallas did. Throw and run at Vildor all day. Nothing else will matter. I feel like Vildor will be good for at least 4 TDs against. I am figuring this will be a high 30s to low 20s scoring game, 38-22 due to a failed 2pt conversion. 

Claypool is too new to really contribute outside of some Go routes, but it will be nice to see him out there. 

The line of +4.5 for the Bears is surprising. Compared to recent lines and the loss of Quinn and Smith, I figured the line would be closer to 6 or 7.

EDIT:

I really thought Miami was dominating teams, but their biggest win was opening week with a 13 pt win against NE. In their last 5, they are 2-3 with losses to CIN (by 12), NYJ (by 23), and MIN (by 8), then wins against PIT (by 6) and DET (by 4). So with that knowledge, I think it will be more like 31-27 or something like that. 

21-17 at half, Miami only scored 14 on offense. Bears scored 17. 

Fields rating the last 4 games: 71.5, 85.2, 120.0, and 128.9 so far today. Talk about improvement. That doesn't even take into account his rushing. 

Kmet and Mooney both with TD catches. Bears with over 100 yards rushing and on their way to another 200 yard rushing day.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

They need to move him out of the pocket and they need to stop throwing that sideline screen. It must be 15 times today.

There is always that play we see over and over that never works. I wish we could run the slant like GB that chips away  5 to 10 yds per play.

11 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I couldn't be more disappointed in the officiating.

That's a very low bar but I have to agree.   Aside from the PI miscues there were a few obvious holding calls against our pass rush that weren't flagged.   I'm just going to look at the silver lining here and take that as the NFL helping us with a better draft pick.   

Going in I was hoping for another 30pt game from the offense and would be ok with the L.  So I'm stuck owning the L.   We can point to a lot of plays as always but giving up 7 on a routine blocked punt is completely unacceptable.  Herbert can't completely miss on a simple block like that.  

Oline was just ok today for most part but run blocking wasn't the best we've seen.  Braxton Jones gave up some pressures late as usual being bull rushed but it's hard to say they got their $110mil worth from Chubb when a 5th Rd rookie LT contained him for most of the game. 

Claypool will improve this offense quite a bit.  Hopefully Pringle gets back soon because he's a more dynamic route runner than either ESB or Pettis.   There is no chance I'd take Tua and all those underthrown passes over Fields in any draft.   In fact the few times we did get pressure on Tua he melted down.  I was impressed by their WRs but not the QB.  Time will tell but they've gone all-in on Tua for the near future.     

Now it's time for me to get back to scouting Dline for the draft.   Get an interior pass rusher or two and this game would have been a win.   

31 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Now it's time for me to get back to scouting Dline for the draft.   Get an interior pass rusher or two and this game would have been a win. 

I was going to post the exact same thing.  In my anger, I kept it short and to the point.  Yes, we are weak up the middle.  For DL, I can see 2 drafted and 2 as FA for sure.