David Montgomery

adam

With Fields now also a runner and the emergence of Herbert in this scheme, it really looks like Montgomery is the odd man out. He has only had one rushing day over 70 yards all season, and since the offense started scoring 30 a game, he has averaged 3.55 yards a carry and 47 yards a game. He is on pace for a career low in attempts, yards, yards per carry, and TDs. His longest rush this year is 28 yards. 

Obviously he is going to command more than his rookie deal, but I can't see him getting anything like even what Conner or Fournette got (3yr, $21M). 

What do you think he is worth? Do you think the Bears give him that contract? I say they don't and let him walk. I figure he gets a deal like one of those RBs between $5-7M per year for a few years.  Two other RBs drafted near him, Singletary and Henderson are both UFAs too and both have a higher snap count than Monty does.  Barkley, Sanders, Jacobs, Mostert, Wilson, Hunt, Pollard, Robinson, Gordon, Penny, Foreman, and Drake are also FA's. A crazy deep class for RBs. 

5 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I was thinking the 6-8 mil range.  Low end starter.  Running back by committee.  I'd like them to draft a home run hitter at RB.

yeah, that's why I said $7 mil. not elite, but solid starter in a Thunder and Lightning set.

Is Fields the home run hitter?

I still lean towards keeping him and that would be around the $6-7mil/yr rate simply because I think these two RBs compliment each other well.  Monty is our best blocking RB and at times Herbert is still pretty bad blocking.  Herbert is better in wide zone but Montgomery is the better inside zone runner and is better on short yardage situations.   It's hard to say which is the better receiver since we don't get to use them in that aspect very often.  Fix the Oline.  

This also depends on if we can structure the contract in a way that we can get out of it in 2 yrs because I'd like to think Ebner is the home run threat we are missing.  Ebner just hasn't shown the vision yet in this scheme to be effective and there is also that blocking issue.  I get that they are RBs, but protecting Fields is still job 1 for me.  

And my last reason is that keeping Montgomery now while we have plenty of cap space allows us to focus on fixing other needs on Oline, WR, DE, DT, LB.   

With so many FA RBs my guess is the team extends him an offer then lets him test the market and we see if we want to match.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I still lean towards keeping him and that would be around the $6-7mil/yr rate simply because I think these two RBs compliment each other well.  Monty is our best blocking RB and at times Herbert is still pretty bad blocking.  Herbert is better in wide zone but Montgomery is the better inside zone runner and is better on short yardage situations.   It's hard to say which is the better receiver since we don't get to use them in that aspect very often.  Fix the Oline.  

This also depends on if we can structure the contract in a way that we can get out of it in 2 yrs because I'd like to think Ebner is the home run threat we are missing.  Ebner just hasn't shown the vision yet in this scheme to be effective and there is also that blocking issue.  I get that they are RBs, but protecting Fields is still job 1 for me.  

And my last reason is that keeping Montgomery now while we have plenty of cap space allows us to focus on fixing other needs on Oline, WR, DE, DT, LB.   

With so many FA RBs my guess is the team extends him an offer then lets him test the market and we see if we want to match.  

sounds right to me