Luke Getsy

adam

The Bears are now 3-7, but the offense has put up 29+ pts in the last 4 weeks. How much of this is Getsy "unlocking" Fields and how much is it Fields just being superhuman?

For as much as I have liked some of what I have seen so far, this is a historically bad passing attack that can't win games. Without literally magician level stuff from Fields, how bad would this offense look right now? How hard is it to scheme players open? The Lions defense was one of the worst in the league and the Bears mustered only 167 yards passing with 50 coming on one play to Kmet. Has anyone seen a quick slant yet? It still feels like something is missing. Too many plays take too long to develop. They got too conservative, then had to take a chance that led to the Fields pick-6. Just seems like they are not using tempo as much as they could be.

Also, the Jet Sweep to St. Brown for -2 yds is becoming the new Nagy CPat draw up the middle on 3rd and 1 for a loss. If they are going to Jet Sweep, do it with Pettis, Claypool, or Mooney. St. Brown doesn't have a quick enough cut for that to work without perfect blocking. 

I have heard media mention that Getsy may be a one and done Coordinator and that he would get interest as a Head Coach this offseason. Who is hiring him with this offense and performance? I just don't see it. Fields had more passing success under Nagy, which is saying a lot. 

At this point, I was hoping for a little more improvement from the passing game and I just haven't seen it yet.

I don't see anyone hiring Getsy.  He hasn't done anything of note.  I'm still being patient on the passing game in part because it's been such a mish mash of WRs on/off the field.  Plus everyone learning a new scheme, young QB etc.   I was glad to see Pringle get on the field today but we have to be realistic in that Fields has not played nor practiced with him much at all.  Toss in Claypool, Harry when he's been out there, and you have 3 new guys with limited routes/timing/etc.   We even had ISM out there for a few games before we cut him. 

I'm willing to give them some time to grow and expand their route trees.  I'd be curious just what % of plays (vs. total in playbook) Getsy can call with them on the field.  We don't see our RBs on routes very often either usually just screens.  I believe there has to be much more in the scheme than what we've seen.  

I am less impressed with Getsy today than I was last week. Predictable play calls and what the hell was that last drive, trailing with an injured QB, you run him twice? Close to a fireable offense. 

GB Coaches and Coordinators are a combined 10-22 this year between GB, DEN, and CHI. 

Maybe their formula is tied to the fact that they had a HOF QB in his prime with a HOF WR? Once that was broken up, none of the coaches look like superstars. 

Speaking of other coaches, what is up with Brandon Staley? I thought this guy was the 2nd Coming of Buddy Ryan. Since taking over the Chargers last season, they are 14-13 and have allowed the most points in the AFC over that period. The vaunted LAC defensive mastermind is allowing 25.8 pts a game. I know they have some injuries, but you would think a coach with that type of pedigree and those players would be playing better.

I cant help but wonder if they arent looking at the draft ranking too.

Either way, it looked like they wanted to see Fields be a pocket passer this week, and the pass protection was just awful. Wanting to work on his passing against the Falcons was a smart game plan - not to beat them necessarily, but to develop Fields. Unfortunately, it got out of hand.

Also, looks like Claypool is taking a while to learn the offense. Yikes.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I cant help but wonder if they arent looking at the draft ranking too.

Either way, it looked like they wanted to see Fields be a pocket passer this week, and the pass protection was just awful. Wanting to work on his passing against the Falcons was a smart game plan - not to beat them necessarily, but to develop Fields. Unfortunately, it got out of hand.

Also, looks like Claypool is taking a while to learn the offense. Yikes.

Learning a new offense does take time. I will give him until after the bye. At that point it will be 5 games and 6 weeks to get the offense down.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Learning a new offense does take time. I will give him until after the bye. At that point it will be 5 games and 6 weeks to get the offense down.

I don't get it.  Even if it takes awhile to learn, Justin can tell him in the huddle.  10 yard out, sluggo, post, skinny post, deep out/in, slant, bubble.  I've seen enough of ESB and Harry to know they don't have what Claypool has.  Right now, my order is Mooney, Kmet, Claypool, Pettis.  As much as we run they should have 90% of the targets.

Back to conspiracy theories: maybe they know Claypool will have an enormous impact on the outside, as seen in his first game here.  Those PI's are as big as catches.  I can't believe they are being that cagey, in trying to sandbag for next year.  It would be devilishly brilliant if they really knew and it worked...lol

29 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't get it.  Even if it takes awhile to learn, Justin can tell him in the huddle.  10 yard out, sluggo, post, skinny post, deep out/in, slant, bubble.  I've seen enough of ESB and Harry to know they don't have what Claypool has.  Right now, my order is Mooney, Kmet, Claypool, Pettis.  As much as we run they should have 90% of the targets.

Back to conspiracy theories: maybe they know Claypool will have an enormous impact on the outside, as seen in his first game here.  Those PI's are as big as catches.  I can't believe they are being that cagey, in trying to sandbag for next year.  It would be devilishly brilliant if they really knew and it worked...lol

Could be, silly to show your hand when you are not in it to win it. I could understand them watering down the playbook a little to not tip teams off with tape for next season.

However, I think it comes in with the wrinkles. Almost every play has multiple variants where their duties and routes change based on the defense, the protection, the audible, etc. Some of the RPO stuff has like 6 different things they may have to do on any given play. Also, the language is different. If he is on the outside and they call an audible, he has to hear Greek and translate it to German before running it in American.

Never thought I'd see so much frustration with the Bears averaging 29pts/gm in the last 5 games.   If we just had an average defense we'd be on a 5 game winning streak.  Nonetheless I'm happy to see this discussion because there wasn't one person here who thought we'd have this to talk about this year.  :cheers

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Never thought I'd see so much frustration with the Bears averaging 29pts/gm in the last 5 games.   If we just had an average defense we'd be on a 5 game winning streak.  Nonetheless I'm happy to see this discussion because there wasn't one person here who thought we'd have this to talk about this year.  :cheers

If anything the Special Teams has really let the team down this year.

KO Return against in the ATL game, missed XP in DET, blocked punt for a TD against MIA, all would be the deciding points in a win or loss. Earlier in the year you had the Velus muffs for a few more games. 

I think the problem with any WR, TE, RB in the passing game is we just dont throw enough. Fields looks for Mooney first, then look at his throwing sequence a couple for everybody. Our OL just isnt good enough to sustain a consistent passing game.  We scored 24 points, 5 game average 26 points a game. I think that is pretty good. Other than 2 games we have been in every game. Between mistakes and bad ref calls, we could have a winning record right now. That puts us on the rise as a rebuilding team.