Rookie DBs

AZ54

I went into this game expecting a total Mel Tuckeresque coverage disaster.  Instead they all seemed to know their job.  We have to credit Houston-Carson and Jaylon Johnson for keeping the young guys lined up properly during the game.   Plus the coaches deserve a ton of credit getting them ready.  

It's one game so I'm not trying to go overboard but it certainly feels like this rookie group of DBs is giving us a solid depth/foundation for the future.   We already know what we have in Brisker and Gordon has been coming along well lately.   Now today we see Jaylon Jones and Josh Blackwell play well along with Elijah Hicks at safety.  

Earlier in the season Jaylon Jones was playing too soft but he certainly looks more comfortable in the role now.  Blackwell might have been the biggest surprise for me playing at NB.  There were issues with run defense at times but he didn't get overwhelmed and stayed in contact in coverage all game long.   

Vildor has struggled so it will be interesting to see if one of these young DBs take his reps when he's healthy.  For sure we need to address that starting CB position for next year.   If Poles and the coaches want to see more of the youngsters as a potential starter that'd be fine by me.  I'd rather know what we have and don't have before the offseason begins.  Even if neither Blackwell or Jones are starter level, it feels like they can be good depth for next season.   

Cant remember the DB that had one great game when he came in last yr, and he disappeared under the new regime. Blackwell is who impressed me the most. He was poached from Philly's practice squad. Jaylon Jones definitely gotten better thru the yr. Poles has brought in a lot of new players and some are starting to show some promise. I , too, thought the backend of the D would be a disaster this game and was pleasantly surprised. 

In Poles first draft, he has Gordon, Brisker, Braxton Jones, Sanborn, and Gill starting and preforming better than expected. If he gets 5 starters out of the next draft with at least 3 FA starters. We have the start of a good core. 

I still have hope for V Jones and Ebner. Not all rookies shine in their first yr. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Cant remember the DB that had one great game when he came in last yr, and he disappeared under the new regime. Blackwell is who impressed me the most. He was poached from Philly's practice squad. Jaylon Jones definitely gotten better thru the yr. Poles has brought in a lot of new players and some are starting to show some promise. I , too, thought the backend of the D would be a disaster this game and was pleasantly surprised. 

In Poles first draft, he has Gordon, Brisker, Braxton Jones, Sanborn, and Gill starting and preforming better than expected. If he gets 5 starters out of the next draft with at least 3 FA starters. We have the start of a good core. 

I still have hope for V Jones and Ebner. Not all rookies shine in their first yr. 

Thomas Graham and I did think he had potential to be a good player but work ethic, which he himself admitted was part of his problem, is not something we can easily discern.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Graham_Jr._(American_football)