What's Best for 2024?...

Mongo3451

I'm simply fixated on three positions this off season.  Number one type reciever, OL and DL.  I'm not convinced that Fields skillset is good enough to overcome the lack of a true number one and the fronts.  My tagline at the old site was, "It all starts up front".  I still believe that to be true after all these years.  There is only one chance at a number one this year, and it's through the draft. (Unless an unforeseen trade occurs)  The front lines can be made solid through FA, trade and the draft.  If we land at the 2 spot, I think we can get our number one and have the draft clout to stock it up front.

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm simply fixated on three positions this off season.  Number one type reciever, OL and DL.  I'm not convinced that Fields skillset is good enough to overcome the lack of a true number one and the fronts.  My tagline at the old site was, "It all starts up front".  I still believe that to be true after all these years.  There is only one chance at a number one this year, and it's through the draft. (Unless an unforeseen trade occurs)  The front lines can be made solid through FA, trade and the draft.  If we land at the 2 spot, I think we can get our number one and have the draft clout to stock it up front.

are you talking about the kid from TCU?

After seeing more of him this morning, I'm really looking Marvin Harrison junior.  Dude is upgraded clone of his old man.  Three inches taller and faster.  Exact same body shape and outstanding route runners with great separation. They had to accentuate/alter the NFL rules from the way New England played against Sr in attempts to stop him.  He's my 2024 guy.

A bigger better Marvin Harrison sounds great. If that's what he is, and we can get him, then the Century of Bears dominance begins! LOL

In all seriousness though, if Poles does this right, there is no reason a team can't perennially be a contender - especially if you have your QB. You have to be a great talent evaluator, and you have to be willing to trade good players in their prime at times, but there are models of franchises that are competitive year in and out for decades.

You need to keep all the holes filled, but you also need a few superstars. One has to be at QB. Got him. You need a great WR too, and a top five impact player on defense. if you have that, you can build around the rest. Add in some dogs on the OL and CB, and youre in it every year. And if you get into that kind of cycle, you will have other great players coming in and out of roles as well. And some of those are the ones you trade in year 4 to get the next crop in.

Lets hope we get in step with that kind of rhythm. We need that next great WR for sure. Fields to Irvin/Moss/Harrison/etc v2.0

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

After seeing more of him this morning, I'm really looking Marvin Harrison junior.  Dude is upgraded clone of his old man.  Three inches taller and faster.  Exact same body shape and outstanding route runners with great separation. They had to accentuate/alter the NFL rules from the way New England played against Sr in attempts to stop him.  He's my 2024 guy.

I really hope the Bears can get him somehow. I would even trade up if I had to. He is a WR1. 

A couple of other players to watch, 6-3 Cedric Tillman, had a injury plagued year but in 2021 kicked ass. Also Jaxson Smith Njigba had injuries this year but in 2021 he outplayed  Cris Olave and Garret Wilson. That feat leads me to believe he is very good. JSN is ranked as the 16th best player and Tillman is  53. Unless we trade back, I see a Edge first, WR in the second and a DT in the 3rd. It could be in the wrong order.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Also Jaxson Smith Njigba had injuries this year but in 2021 he outplayed  Cris Olave and Garret Wilson.

I could see Smith-Njigba being this years version of Devontae Smith.  I wasn’t sure after seeing him get injured during last years college playoffs he’d be as good as he is now.

Honestly though I’d be good with either of the remaining top OSU WRs.  Harrison 1a and SN as 1b 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Is Harrison in this year's draft? I thought he was next year.

2024 - he's saying build defense in 2023 and the OL, bring in a FA WR, and then draft Harrison next year. Of course there's no guarantee, but if it worked out like that, Id be thrilled, and wed be very dangerous indeed.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

In a game full of future NFL talent he stood out.  With this draft starting to look more below average with few blue chip prospects I’m not totally opposed to a trade down scenario that gets us another first next year.