Holy Cow Zach Wilson/Tua/Russell Wilson are bad

adam

I hope he is better at Cougar hunting than he is at QBing because he looks terrible. That game last night was one of the worst performances I have seen from a #2 pick that I can recall. This is also coming after a 300-yd game against DET last week and he also had 355 yards against NE a few weeks ago. His QBR last night was 5.2. Only Kyle Allen and Matt Ryan had worse QBR games with as many passing attempts this season.

What is absolutely wild is his completion percentage (among other things). He was 50% last night, 51.4% against DET and only 40.9% against NE. He had a 55.6% last year and some how is worse this year with 54.5%. 

It is not even like he is throwing a ton of picks, he has 6 TDs and 7 INTs, but he literally cannot sustain a drive. They either go 3 and out, or get one first down, then punt on every drive. 

I'm embarrassed to admit I liked him coming out of college and would been thrilled if the Bears drafted him.

Don't get me wrong. I was all on board with the drafting of Fields. Just didn't think he'd be available.

I am just admitting I was totally wrong in my assessment of Wilson. Thank God I'm not the Bears GM. 

34 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I liked him coming out of college and would been thrilled if the Bears drafted him.

Don't get me wrong. I was all on board with the drafting of Fields. Just didn't think he'd be available.

I am just admitting I was totally wrong in my assessment of Wilson. Thank God I'm not the Bears GM. 

When i was younger, I used to imagine being Bears GM. When we all do our draft stuff, we all imagine being Bears GM. Of course the fantasy is to make the Bears into a dominant winner.

Now, as I am older, and have seen enough players I liked fail in the NFL, and players I wasnt sure of thrive (as well as being right about players half the time, in other words, a coin flip) I realize that I would not be a good choice for GM of the Bears. Only a very select few people who are not already GMs would be good GMs. Hell, a lot of the people who ARE GMs now are terrible. maybe most.

The point is it's VERY hard to be a good and successful GM in the NFL.

That's why I have a new fantasy:

I want to be the Packers GM.

I realize I don't have the skills to build a winner in the NFL. But I'm pretty sure I could ruin a team...

I wanted Jones or Trask, boy was I off.  I didn't think Lawrence or Wilson would be available at #20 so I really didn't look into them that much.

I was leery of Fields because of his performance against Alabama. Fields did not look good in the Natty compared to Jones. Jones had 464 yards passing and 5 TDs and Fields had 194 yards and 1 TD.  In comparison, Trask played the same Alabama defense a few weeks earlier and put up 408 yards passing and 3 TDs. If you can only go off the tape, how would you not conclude that Trask or Jones were better? Here were their WR/TEs:

Jones: Smith, Waddle, Metchie
Fields: Olave, Wilson, Smith-Njigba
Trask: Toney, Pitts, Grimes

I would say Jones and Fields Receiving Corps were fairly equal and Trask probably had the weakest group. So if Trask can do that against Alabama, why didn't Fields?

Somewhat of a weird comparison, Fields had 194 yards passing, 67 yards rushing, and 1 TD against Alabama in his last college game and now for his NFL career he is averaging 157 passing yards, 57 rushing yards, and 0.9 TDs per game. 

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I realize I don't have the skills to build a winner in the NFL. But I'm pretty sure I could ruin a team...

LOL - Love it! Never thought if that possibility when confessing my lack of ability in judging talent for the draft.

22 minutes ago, Pixote said:

LOL - Love it! Never thought if that possibility when confessing my lack of ability in judging talent for the draft.

Resign Rodgers to a 6 year $400 Million dollar deal with $300M of it as a signing bonus. I mean, you cant fire me for signing the hero QB to a long term deal can you? And even if you can? Its too late, youre screwed.

Hahaha they kind half did that already hahaha

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

The point is it's VERY hard to be a good and successful GM in the NFL.

Pix...   I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to support you here.  

Happy holidays guys.  We’ve accumulated roughly 5-6 feet of snow already and after a week of sub-zero temps had one heck of a wicked wind storm yesterday.  And we’re supposed to be “used to it” (I’m not).

Been reading about the weather you all are getting in the lower 48. ??  Please stay safe and indoors at all cost.  Enjoy your holidays and watch some football if you’re able.  ☃️❄️☃️❄️

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Happy holidays guys.  We’ve accumulated roughly 5-6 feet of snow already and after a week of sub-zero temps had one heck of a wicked wind storm yesterday.  And we’re supposed to be “used to it” (I’m not).

Been reading about the weather you all are getting in the lower 48. ??  Please stay safe and indoors at all cost.  Enjoy your holidays and watch some football if you’re able.  ☃️❄️☃️❄️

Yikes! Stay warm and stay safe Grizz!

• adam changed the title to Holy Cow Zach Wilson/Tua/Russell Wilson are bad

Tua with 3 picks today like he can't read defenses. If Waddle or Hill are not wide open, he can't complete a pass. 

Russell Wilson may seen the biggest drop off of an elite QB that I have seen in a long time. He has had 5 seasons that would be the Bears single season passing record, 4 over 4K, a 40 TD season, and has always been great limiting turnovers. Then he goes to Denver where he arguably has his best receiving corps and he has 11 TDs to 9 INTs into his 13th games of the year. The drop off is mind boggling. If I am in the Denver organization, or even a fan, I am sick to my stomach. His contract is unmovable for at least 2 more years and even in 2025, it is still a huge dead cap hit. 

On 12/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Im trying to survive 0 degrees but will be in Thailand for the winter in 4 days. 69-95 every day of the yr there. 

I think Wilson doesnt have much help from their coaches but he was on his way down before he got traded. To think we could have been burdened with him if Pace could have got them to trade. 

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Im trying to survive 0 degrees but will be in Thailand for the winter in 4 days. 69-95 every day of the yr there. 

I think Wilson doesnt have much help from their coaches but he was on his way down before he got traded. To think we could have been burdened with him if Pace could have got them to trade. 

Maybe for Wilson it is coaching.  I mean look at  Geno Smith, he looks like a QB for once.  If Denver is not building around Wilson's strengths, then that is on the coach.  Have to see what they do this offseason. 

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Maybe for Wilson it is coaching.  I mean look at  Geno Smith, he looks like a QB for once.  If Denver is not building around Wilson's strengths, then that is on the coach.  Have to see what they do this offseason. 

Sure seems like they got the wrong HC/OC guy out of GB.  Earlier in the year he really screwed up the clock management at the end of a game.  I don't remember details but I do remember thinking at the time that you can't possibly be in offensive football that many years and not know those things.  By itself that doesn't mean much but it does point to a lack of organization and preparedness.  If you can't get the simple things right with your offensive staff how well are you coordinating the practices and other details needed to get an offense on the same page?   That combined with the Wilson deal might make you sick to your stomach as a fan.   If I'm the owner I'm taking a serious look at my coaching investment because if there's a chance this deal for Wilson could work it has to start happening next season.    

There are a lot of teams in QB trouble, and thank God for once, we aren't one of them.

Arizona and Denver are going to choke on those big QB contracts. They both have huge question marks at QB.

GBP & CLE spent a fortune on their QBs and will regret their decision. Rodgers is not the MVP of the past and Watson doesn't seem to be able to regain his old form. Zack Wilson and M Jones? LOL

Tua started off the year great. Now for the past 4 or 5 games he is back to sucking hind tit.

Just how many teams have true franchise QBs that are earning their paychecks OR about not about to retire? 

That #2 pick could be quite valuable.

Again, Thank God we drafted Fields. Now get him some legitimate WRs and keep him safe with a top 5 OL.

Its hard to judge the QB position , one yr they look good and the next the (what were they thinking). As much as Fields has progressed, I think being in the right situation and the right coaching and its some kind of blend that makes it work. Look at Mayfield, seems to be working out for him with a good coach. Having a high pick could see our franchise up for many yrs. One more win by Houston and we could be in the Superbowl in 2 yrs if Poles is good at his job.

QB play in general is down this year. This week, 8 QBs threw multiple INTs, 12 had under 200 yards passing, and 7 had a QB Rating under 60.0. 3 QBs did all 3, Wilson, Carr, and Willis. I still can't believe Wilson. I think he will retire earlier than expected. Carr has Adams, Waller, Renfrow, and the NFLs league leading rusher, Jacobs, and is still absolutely brutal at QB. I would not be surprised if they draft one (they are currently 9th).

40 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Its hard to judge the QB position , one yr they look good and the next the (what were they thinking). As much as Fields has progressed, I think being in the right situation and the right coaching and its some kind of blend that makes it work. Look at Mayfield, seems to be working out for him with a good coach. Having a high pick could see our franchise up for many yrs. One more win by Houston and we could be in the Superbowl in 2 yrs if Poles is good at his job.

Mayfield was never (bad), he is just very inconsistent and makes one or two boneheaded plays a game that result in a loss. He threw 4 INTs against GB last year and they lost 24-22. I always felt like Mayfield is what Bears fans wanted Rex Grossman to be. 

However, Watson is actually worse in the same offense: 69.3 QB Rating, 57.7 Comp%, 175 yds/g, 5.7 Y/A, 2 TD, 3 INT in 4 games. Mayfield in the same offense last year: 83.1 QB Rating, 60.5%, 215 yds/g, 7.2 Y/A, 17 TD, 13 INT in 14 games. 

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

There are a lot of teams in QB trouble, and thank God for once, we aren't one of them.

Arizona and Denver are going to choke on those big QB contracts. They both have huge question marks at QB.

GBP & CLE spent a fortune on their QBs and will regret their decision. Rodgers is not the MVP of the past and Watson doesn't seem to be able to regain his old form. Zack Wilson and M Jones? LOL

Tua started off the year great. Now for the past 4 or 5 games he is back to sucking hind tit.

Just how many teams have true franchise QBs that are earning their paychecks OR about not about to retire? 

That #2 pick could be quite valuable.

Again, Thank God we drafted Fields. Now get him some legitimate WRs and keep him safe with a top 5 OL.

Right now I would say Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Burrow are the top 4 dudes. So cool that we get to have them in the league for the next 10+ years. Mahomes/Allen/Burrow feels like a better Brady/Manning/Rivers.

The next tier is probably Prescott, Jackson, Herbert, and Lawrence. Then you have guys like Geno, is he going to be a 1 year wonder? Tua seems to be more of a result of that offense than anything else. Goff? He feels like a poor man's Rivers. Daniel Jones? He is ok, but I didn't think he was ever better than Mitch. Then you have a huge group of aging vets or retreads: Rodgers, Brady, Carr, Mariota, Garoppolo, Dalton, Stafford, Tannehill, Wilson, Wentz, Ryan, Heinicke and Mayfield. That is a huge group. Lastly, you have some struggling younger guys in Jones, Mills, Wilson, Willis, and Pickett. 

To me, Fields is probably in that 2nd group. He has flashed, but the passing volume and consistency has to come for him to ascend any further.

Fields needs his guy. Mahomes-Kelce, Allen-Diggs, Hurts-Brown/Smith, Burrow-Chase/Higgins, Prescott-Lamb, Lawrence-Kirk. Herbert and Jackson are the only elite QBs without a 1K receiver, though Jackson has Andrews and Herbert has Allen/Williams.

2 hours ago, adam said:

QB play in general is down this year. This week, 8 QBs threw multiple INTs, 12 had under 200 yards passing, and 7 had a QB Rating under 60.0. 3 QBs did all 3, Wilson, Carr, and Willis. I still can't believe Wilson. I think he will retire earlier than expected. Carr has Adams, Waller, Renfrow, and the NFLs league leading rusher, Jacobs, and is still absolutely brutal at QB. I would not be surprised if they draft one (they are currently 9th).

I have to think weather was a factor in some of that but that doesn't give Tom Brady an excuse for last night.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I have to think weather was a factor in some of that but that doesn't give Tom Brady an excuse for last night.  

For the yardage for sure, even though it is down all over this season. There were some bad INTs though.