Top FA Targets

adam

4 hours ago, Pixote said:

Gads! So we have a lot of writers predicting McG for the Bears who is a good run blocker but bad in pass pro. Or we could have Taylor who is good in pass pro but sucks at run blocking. I give up. Grab O Brown, pay him the big bucks to play LOT, move Braxon to ROT. Pick up a solid ROG & OC.

Then trade back with the goal of max picks in top 100 and draft JSN to match up with Justin.

The draft is deep in the trenches. I trust Poles to do his job with the extra draft capitol to fill any holes that need to be addressed.

That's why I played around with a drop back outside the top 10 in a mock draft.  In that scenario my preference it to a RT with our first pick.  I'd rather have the highly  ranked OT than a highly ranked slot WR.  JSN won't matter much if Fields is already scrambling out of the pocket and if all we can do is throw quick short routes JSN won't survive the season. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I read he wasn't A good run blocker but that grading blows up my ( go out and sign) Taylor comment. That only leaves bringing in Brown in free agency even at 22 mil a year.

I'm more concerned with him being able to pass protect than run block.  This year is about Justin passing the ball.  If it doesn't work out in free agency Skoronski is pro ready right now.

Edit:  So, I looked up Taylor's scouting profile from NFL, Walter, Bleacher Report and SB Nation.  All of them describe him as a mauler in the run game.  He played for Florida, so we know he played against great competition.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say his poor run block grade was scheme driven.

Edited by Mongo3451
Add info

45 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm more concerned with him being able to pass protect than run block.  This year is about Justin passing the ball.  If it doesn't work out in free agency Skoronski is pro ready right now.

Edit:  So, I looked up Taylor's scouting profile from NFL, Walter, Bleacher Report and SB Nation.  All of them describe him as a mauler in the run game.  He played for Florida, so we know he played against great competition.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say his poor run block grade was scheme driven.

Poles is going to tell us if you're  right on Monday.  With the drop to pick 9 , we may be drafting our RT and use free agency money at OC and DT.   Moore has to be considered a free agency get so he will be only adding INE more big contract. 

I'm calling right now he brings in a lower graded OT Andre Dillard and drafts our RT at 9. If Jalen Carter drops that statement is retracted.

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles is going to tell us if you're  right on Monday.  With the drop to pick 9 , we may be drafting our RT and use free agency money at OC and DT.   Moore has to be considered a free agency get so he will be only adding INE more big contract. 

I'm calling right now he brings in a lower graded OT Andre Dillard and drafts our RT at 9. If Jalen Carter drops that statement is retracted.

Moore's contract is actually feasible and he's on the hook three more years.  There's 6 RT in this draft that will start next year.  Also saw that Thielen was released from the Vikings.  I'd think he'd be a addition before we got Moore.  With Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Jones and ESB, there's no room for a vet.  I can see us drafting a burner with one of our seconds.

Poles basically got DJ Moore and Claypool in one of the worst WR FA markets in quite some time. That in itself is impressive. Even with adding them, he is still in the top 10, with a total of 4 picks in the first 64, +2x 1st rounders in 2024, and already has 2x 2nd rounders in 2025. My assumption is CAR is a bottom 10 team this year and potentially next year as well making those future picks even more valuable.

I can't believe free agency (legal tampering period) actually starts in just over 36 hours from now at 12pm (Noon) on Monday. The actual league year doesn't start until Wednesday, but with the Bears cap, they are likely to have one or two blue chip dudes locked up before Wednesday. We might even hear some rumblings tomorrow.

Yeah, I dont think it's illegal to announce intention to sign, and talk about it openly - it IS the tampering period, after all. But if a better offer comes in on Tuesday, the player is free to change their mind until it's actually signed, and that cant happen until Wednesday.

I think it will be a pretty chaotic but transparent process. And if we do come to an agreement in principle with someone, I wouldn't be surprised if we heard about it. Think of it from an agent's point of view. They know they have the deal, and they themselves can trust themselves not to change their mind, so why not get the press coverage for your client?

I dont think agents do too well shaking hands on deals and then going back on them, a few of those, and word gets around, and youre done, no one trusts you.

So yeah, transparent-ish. I cant wait to see who our new OL and Defensive front are. It's weird to have a hollowed out roster with so much cap money and draft capital just waiting for the start of the race.

Feels like the Bears plan is pretty clear, IMO. Like Dylan said, you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. I’d be shocked if we don’t hear the following additions from the Bears in the first 24 hours or so of the legal tampering period:

- 1 starting-caliber RT out of McGlinchy, Taylor, and McGary

- 1 starting-caliber 3T out of Dre’Mont Jones, David Onyemata, or Zach Allen (or possibly Poona Ford or maybe they even bring back Ogunjobi).  

- Yannick Ngakoue or comparable edge (Ebukam, Okoronkwo) 

- Okereke at LB. 

- A starting caliber G/C. 

Maybe they go after a CB too down the line, but I think those are the priorities. They’ll probably also commit to a RB plan, whether it’s bringing back Monty, pivoting to someone like Mattison, or standing pat to see how things shake out. 

Like you said, he's filling spots of weakness. He didn't wait for the draft to fix the WR room. Some people think he could still draft a WR, it won't with a high pick.

He wants the OL up and running now and will draft a couple OL but not as a needed starter. That means he's bringing in a OC and RT. He has one more big money contract.

Maybe it's O Brown, he's the best OT out there. If he pays Brown, I think he uses him at RT. Some say he won't change but if you give him the highest contract, he won't care. He could be the best RT in the league, he's not at LT.

Not sure what he thinks about Patrick at OC but probably will be a new vet. Ethan Pocic? I don't think he wants to go threw the growing pains of letting rookies grow. He'll draft a IOL and OT but not in the first few picks. 

A OC and Bobby Okereke ( LB) won't be big contracts. A DT will. Maybe Kyle Allen instead of Dremont Jones. A lesser pass rusher and CB. 

The draft has a deep edge group. He will draft 2 .

3 hours ago, adam said:

I can't believe free agency (legal tampering period) actually starts in just over 36 hours from now at 12pm (Noon) on Monday. The actual league year doesn't start until Wednesday, but with the Bears cap, they are likely to have one or two blue chip dudes locked up before Wednesday. We might even hear some rumblings tomorrow.

Actually I think free agency pre tampering starts at midnight not noon. Someone on the SCORE stated that. I'm not sure.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Actually I think free agency pre tampering starts at midnight not noon. Someone on the SCORE stated that. I'm not sure.

This is from Yahoo:

Teams will be able to speak with free agents two days before free agency begins during the legal tampering period. Beginning on Monday, March 13, 2023, at 9 a.m. PT, clubs can contact and negotiate with players who were set to become unrestricted free agents.

So 12pm ET, 11 CT. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-free-agency-tracker-2023-140000094.html

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I just read on the NFL website. 12 EST, you we right.

I think we will start hearing about some stuff before then but the "expected to sign" stuff will come within minutes of the 12pm/11am window.

Last year Rapoport tweeted the Ogunjobi signing at 12:08pm.