Week 17 Official Game Thread CHI at DET, SUN 1/1, 12PM, FOX, DET -6.5, O/U 50

adam

The Bears lost 31-30 the last time they played. Fields had over 300 yards of total offense and 4 TDs. 

Fields should pass Michael Vick's single season rushing total in this game (28 yards), but needs a big game to have a chance to pass Lamar's record in Week 18. Still funny to see him 7th in the NFL in rushing considering he missed a game.

With Herbert now in his 2nd week back, he should look better, but it will be interesting to see if Claypool plays. 

The Bears defense will have their hands full, Detroit is good rushing and passing.

I feel like this will be another high scoring affair, but the Bears will not have enough to hang with Detroit (sounds crazy to read that).

Lions 34-27

Fields with 3 TDs, over 250 yards passing and 50 yards rushing.

1. Jackson 1206 (195 yds away)
2. Vick 1039 (28 yds away)
3. Fields 1011

Other notable milestones in reach:

1. Montgomery - 800 rushing yards - needs 44
2. Herbert - 700 rushing yards - needs 50
3. Fields - 2500 passing yards - needs 333
4. Fields - 20 passing TDs - needs 4
5. Fields - 30 total TDs - needs 6
6. Velus Jones - 100 career receiving yards - needs 21
7. Ebner - 100 career rushing yards - needs 46
8. Santos - 100 points - needs 15

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Even if Whitehair is back I still want to see Dieter get more snaps.  Of course he could take them at Center which is what I'd really like to see.  

As much as we always are trying to replace Mustifer, he keeps his job by being healthy. I think he may be here next year but hopefully the backup. Dieter is a great story hope he succeeds. 

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think he may be here next year but hopefully the backup.

That was the plan this year.  And we see how that ended up. You’re right that if he’s nothing else hes reliable.  Just about every other player on the line has been injured at one point this year and he keeps showing up.  That should count for something going forward even as a bakckup.

Wonder if there would be any reason to have him practice as a Guard to make him more versatile?  He could hold more value if he could come in as relief as more than just a Center. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

That was the plan this year.  And we see how that ended up. You’re right that if he’s nothing else hes reliable.  Just about every other player on the line has been injured at one point this year and he keeps showing up.  That should count for something going forward even as a bakckup.

Wonder if there would be any reason to have him practice as a Guard to make him more versatile?  He could hold more value if he could come in as relief as more than just a Center. 

Maybe Mustipher is the one getting out of position and tripping everyone else, or letting Dline run free and blowup a play?  

9 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe Mustipher is the one getting out of position and tripping everyone else, or letting Dline run free and blowup a play?  

Are you suggesting he’s what’s causing ALL the disruption along the line?  I’ll be clear, I was once an advocate for Mustipher.  I’ve seen enough to know he needs to be replaced…as a starter.  The team (Poles) tried to do that with Patrick and it flopped.  I believe as an UDFA (coming to the team in 2019 no less) they certainly have gotten some bang for their buck. After all you have Whitehair who has had a turn at Center not replace Musty.  Why not?  They have decent depth at G so I’d think if Sam was such a disaster they’d at least consider that option. 

All I’m suggesting is that Mustipher does hold some value as being dependable with regards to not getting injured and being available to play.  He’s also got some value with a fair amount of starting experience.  Why not expand on his value and train him to play more than one position … as a back up?  

37 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Are you suggesting he’s what’s causing ALL the disruption along the line?  I’ll be clear, I was once an advocate for Mustipher.  I’ve seen enough to know he needs to be replaced…as a starter.  The team (Poles) tried to do that with Patrick and it flopped.  I believe as an UDFA (coming to the team in 2019 no less) they certainly have gotten some bang for their buck. After all you have Whitehair who has had a turn at Center not replace Musty.  Why not?  They have decent depth at G so I’d think if Sam was such a disaster they’d at least consider that option. 

All I’m suggesting is that Mustipher does hold some value as being dependable with regards to not getting injured and being available to play.  He’s also got some value with a fair amount of starting experience.  Why not expand on his value and train him to play more than one position … as a back up?  

Actually in the beginning of the year before the two veterans were signed he was lining up at RG. Then once they tried Jenkins there, they found their RG. All of that depends on what Poles decides to do with Patrick. He is signed to 2023 but can be let go 1/2 mil dead cap.plus he drafted Kramer that was on IR all year. I think Kramer will probably be a Mustifer type , very average. 

There are several OCs rated in the top 100 in the draft but I would rather they use at other positions. We have 4 picks in top 101.  I prefer they sign Pocic, keep Patrick as backup ( 3 position) keep Kramer around on the practice squad . Patrick will be gone after 2023. I hear Bear writers keep saying Mustifer is playing better but haven't noticed that in games.

Mustipher is terrible.  We are on year three of him not being able to perform a switch off.  Either every QB he's played with can't call a protection scheme or it's him.  One of the most ill used comments I hear is, "the best ability is availability".  I've watched three years of him being available and think it's only because there is nothing left in the cupboard.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

One of the most ill used comments I hear is, "the best ability is availability".  I've watched three years of him being available and think it's only because there is nothing left in the cupboard.

Interesting way to word it.  But yet here he is, still hangin round.  Like I said, I’d be all in if they could find a suitable replacement for him.  And as Stinger pointed out, they’ve tried and both have been out due to injuries (Patrick and Kramer).  

2 hours ago, adam said:

I just understand how Mustipher is that big but so weak. He gets man-handled by pretty much any size DT, and it seems like the entire line forgot how to play stunts.

I think its a matter of technique at that point. like he probably has the right raw strength, but he isnt playing the game well. Also he seems to not know who to block a lot.

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Just a little joking around at Mustipher's expense.  He is exactly the kind of player who has a 10 year career, and will be a starter at times for other teams.  Lucas Patrick has had the same type of career so far.  Always the guy you want to upgrade, always the player you can survive with when he starts.     

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Mustipher is terrible.  We are on year three of him not being able to perform a switch off.  Either every QB he's played with can't call a protection scheme or it's him.  One of the most ill used comments I hear is, "the best ability is availability".  I've watched three years of him being available and think it's only because there is nothing left in the cupboard.

I thought it was just my eyes but I've always thought he processes things too slowly after the snap.   Maybe pre-snap alignment calls are ok?  He has the more obvious physical limitations that show up from time to time where he gets blown up or beat to one side very quickly.  More often than I see those events, I just see him looking lost on who to block. 

When I watched Swift's breakdown on Eiselen, it was interesting that he seemed to show good vision on picking up stunts or late blitzes.  Interesting because he has far less game experience.  Even in spots where he had nobody to block Dieter stayed in his lane and you could see his head on a swivel looking left and right multiple times in one play.  When he provided help to the OT or C it was with one arm without giving up his lane. 

OTOH Mustipher will give up his pass pro lane early on if he has nobody to block and chase someone left or right even if his OGs don't need the help.  He literally turns 90 degrees and thus can't do anything to cover his lane.  That has given up a few sacks due to some teams taking advantage of that tendency with delayed blitzes right up the middle unabated.    Or like this play where he was celebrated for taking a guy down to the ground but Teven was probably thinking where did Mustipher go?  

33 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I thought it was just my eyes but I've always thought he processes things too slowly after the snap...  More often than I see those events, I just see him looking lost on who to block. 

When I watched Swift's breakdown on Eiselen, it was interesting that he seemed to show good vision on picking up stunts or late blitzes...

Or like this play where he was celebrated for taking a guy down to the ground but Teven was probably thinking where did Mustipher go?  

Agree. THis is how it looks to me too. Mustipher is lost too many times. He just isnt an Offensive Lineman.