I Have a Jenkins Problem...

Mongo3451

What else is new?  I have issues regarding Tevin Jenkins...

...and none of it is performance related.

To the beginning where he came in outta shape, as could've been the issue with the back last year.  We already know his college coach had a hard time motivating him to workout.

To the now, he was deemed healthy to play Sunday.  He lasted one play.  Does he know the difference between hurt and injured?  Does he have the heart to tough it out?  

Don't get me wrong, as I never want to see a player out there that feels he's injuring himself, never.  But, my goodness he was designated healthy by the doctors and he went out with the same damn thing.  One the first play!  The other thing I noticed as he was running off the field is that he is gaining weight during the season.  That's a result of not working out properly and consuming too many calories.

That leads me to the drinking issues that are leisurely reported.  A man that size can easily drink a case of beer a day, equally a lot of extra calories.  I simply have a bad feeling about the reliability of this guy.

Yep, he's not the first young millionaire to struggle with these issues.  Hopefully he grows out of it as most do.  On the injury front I find it hard to criticize a guy who almost broke his neck a week earlier and spent a day in a hospital.  I get the concerns but I simply don't know and we can't know what he felt once he got into real physical contact.  We do know he had the courage to get back out there.  

19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

On the injury front I find it hard to criticize a guy who almost broke his neck a week earlier and spent a day in a hospital.  I get the concerns but I simply don't know and we can't know what he felt once he got into real physical contact.  We do know he had the courage to get back out there.  

I find fault in it without remorse.  He spent the day in the hospital to get checked out.  Result, ok.  Just like a few weeks back, he goes to coach and says he can be a backup after he's fully cleared to start.  He didn't go into that game as questionable or a game time decision.  If you are cleared to play, you play. (especially when your team needs you)  To be an NFL football player, you've got to love it.  Team doctors don't deem you healthy, if there is further risk of injury.  It's just pain tolerance at that point.  I hope it works out because he's a stud.  We'll see how it plays out.  

Yeah, he has a lot of ability, but is he a soldier?

It's getting more and more clear to me, we are an expansion team with Fields, the #2 pick, and a wide open cap. Every position could turn over. No one is safe. Every player on the roster is competing with the rookie class and the free agent class. Poles will build this team from the ground up, and that means creating a roster of talent that has an identity. What is Jenkins' character?

He could be here next year, or he could be a backup here or not here at all.

We all see the upside of his talent, but being a football player is about more than that. And thank God I think Poles knows this. Finally.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

What else is new?  I have issues regarding Tevin Jenkins...

...and none of it is performance related.

To the beginning where he came in outta shape, as could've been the issue with the back last year.  We already know his college coach had a hard time motivating him to workout.

To the now, he was deemed healthy to play Sunday.  He lasted one play.  Does he know the difference between hurt and injured?  Does he have the heart to tough it out?  

Don't get me wrong, as I never want to see a player out there that feels he's injuring himself, never.  But, my goodness he was designated healthy by the doctors and he went out with the same damn thing.  One the first play!  The other thing I noticed as he was running off the field is that he is gaining weight during the season.  That's a result of not working out properly and consuming too many calories.

That leads me to the drinking issues that are leisurely reported.  A man that size can easily drink a case of beer a day, equally a lot of extra calories.  I simply have a bad feeling about the reliability of this guy.

Actually you're not alone in that assessment. Olin Kruetz mentioned him on his podcast. That he's to easily injured, in other words, doesn't play with injuries. Some players think they have to be100% to play, Olin said after week 4 every year, that never happens. I think he was saying he was mentally weak without out saying he was mentally weak. Plus his work ethic was questioned by the coaches early in the year, that's why he was shuffled around so much. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good article and some good signs of maturity even if he might not be fully there yet.   He acknowledges the need to improve his strength and conditioning to avoid injury.  Hopefully he's bought into these coaches and puts in the work this offseason.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/teven-jenkins-found-peace-wake-154000188.html?src=rss

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

A lot of happiness/unhappiness with him.  The self reflecting and positive attitude is fantastic, but I would really like to see him check out his mental health.

I don't want anyone on the team who would be happy getting benched.  It might helpful having someone help him focus simply on himself, how to become as good as he can be and build self-confidence from that process, instead of worrying about or just expecting the end result (i.e. position title, money).  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't want anyone on the team who would be happy getting benched.  It might helpful having someone help him focus simply on himself, how to become as good as he can be and build self-confidence from that process, instead of worrying about or just expecting the end result (i.e. position title, money).  

It's just weird to me.  Second round picks usually give interviews on how great things are and blessed they are to have this opportunity.  Unhappiness upon unhappiness and failure to be in shape is just abnormal if it's not a mental health issue.

22 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's just weird to me.  Second round picks usually give interviews on how great things are and blessed they are to have this opportunity.  Unhappiness upon unhappiness and failure to be in shape is just abnormal if it's not a mental health issue.

It looks like immaturity mixed with some mental health issues.