The Jacksonville comparison

Stinger226

Both QBs were drafted in 2020.

Last year the  Jaguars had the second most money in FAgency to spend. 

They had picks, 1--20--65--70 took edge Travon  Walker, LB Devin Lloyd, OC Luke Fortner, LB Chad Muma. 

In Free Agency : Brandon Scheff (all pro OG), Oluokun ( ( leading tackler in 2021 NFL), Fatukasi/ DT (above average), Kirk/ WR ( high #2 ), Zay Jones/ WR, Evan Engram/ TE.

They needed to rebuild their OL and WR, add playmaker.  Sound familiar?

They added 2 starters on their OL and Kirk, Jones and Engram.

We have more work on defense but offensively we have already started with bringing in Claypool in the mix.  The key will be what Poles does on the OL. 

Engram is a FA , so we can  have him if we want. I doubt they let him leave , he helped turn them around. The last two years, Engram had 119-1174-7. The last two years Kmet 110-1156-7. We have our TE.

Kirk got paid 17 mil but I don't think anyone considers him a #1 even thou he had 84-1108-8. Both Mooney and Kirk  had similar numbers in 2021. I think Mooney could have similar numbers next year. 

They made the playoffs this year in a lousy division. Our road will be harder but we could win more than we lose next year. 9-8.

13 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Good post.  Something to remember is that they were in the playoffs a couple of years ago, so they already had some talent.  Lastly, Trevor is a stud!  What a comeback he had...

I'm not totally sold on Trevor. Yes, he had a great comeback in the second half, AFTER throwing four interceptions in the first half. The main reason for Jacksonville winning? Did you see the Chargers players celebrating their victory on the sidelines after they went up 27 to 0 with two minutes remaining before half-time? IDIOTS! I knew as soon as I saw them dancing and high fiving, they were in trouble.

He does have that 'hair flip' mastered. ? ?

30 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm not totally sold on Trevor. Yes, he had a great comeback in the second half, AFTER throwing four interceptions in the first half. The main reason for Jacksonville winning? Did you see the Chargers players celebrating their victory on the sidelines after they went up 27 to 0 with two minutes remaining before half-time? IDIOTS! I knew as soon as I saw them dancing and high fiving, they were in trouble.

He does have that 'hair flip' mastered. ? ?

Ooh yeah, you can put on the HOF for the hair flip.  Trevor put that team on "let's go mode" the last 6 weeks.

Staley has been a terrible Head Coach. The media loves him for his thought provoking press conferences, use of analytics, etc. Supposedly the players "loved" him, now past tense, but week in and week out he would make bone headed decisions. Mike Williams gets hurt in a meaningless Week 18 game, then in this game, he punts from the Jacksonville 38 after 3 straight incompletions. He not only stopped the clock for JAX 3 times, but then gave them the ball back.

After taking a 27-0, they went Punt, End of half, Punt, FG, FG Miss, Punt 

Earlier in the year, he called a timeout that cost his team at least a tie, and has a long list of coaching blunders going back to last year. 

I just can't believe a team with Herbert, Ekeler, Allen, Williams, Everett, and Palmer on offense and a stacked defense with Mack, Bosa, James, and Samuel Jr could be this bad. 

Staley gives me a lot of Trestman vibes.

BTW, the Chargers were 0-5 against playoff teams this season and 10-2 against non-playoff teams. So it really feels like the playoff teams come down to SoS more than actual team strength. Seattle was the same way. Seattle was 2-4 against playoff teams and the 2 wins, against LAC and NYG (2-5), the other playoff frauds. 

If the rest of the week holds serve, CIN, BUF, MIN, and DAL will win. Those teams all played better than their opponent's against playoff teams. It feels like WC weekend just weeds out the team's that played weaker schedules. 

In terms of roster building, the Bears are definitely at least a year behind JAX. I could see them making similar moves this offseason. The difference will be Fields will be in the 2nd year of the same offense where TLaw was in his first. So technically, the Bears should look better than the Jags did this year. Not necessarily in terms of record, but in terms of performance and output. 

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They made the playoffs this year in a lousy division. Our road will be harder but we could win more than we lose next year. 9-8.

Another factor to consider is Doug Pedersen.  Last year under Meyer the team was a train wreck. You can tell this team is much more organized and better run with Pedersen in the lead.  They even mentioned that yesterday during the game on how much better Lawrence looks just in one year. Having been a QB himself (in the NFL) helps that growth.  Also having been in the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl adds to your level of confidence.  Lawrence showed some serious moxy yesterday.  

Didn’t Pedersen get himself sideways with Eagles’ management for wanting to start Hurts when he did?