QB.       $21.3 Million

RB.       $9.6 Million

TE.       $10.2 Million

WR.      $29.3 Million

DL.       $36.6 Million

LB.        $25.5 Million

DB.       $35.2 Million

ST.       $4.9 Million

Crazy stuff.  Have we ever had that monetary commitment to OL?  Plus, our DL and WR's aren't event close.

22 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Crazy stuff.  Have we ever had that monetary commitment to OL?  Plus, our DL and WR's aren't event close.

well we spent a lot on Mack, Hicks and Quinn... so I think all teams are committed to spending good $ on the Defensive Line.

But if you mean this year, yes. THe biggest reason we lost so many games this year is that there was no $ on the DL. For sure.

46 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree with both statements. I think he grabs a Free agent at DE by thinks Davenport gets a big contract without a lot of production last year. I tink he grabs someone like Ngakoue that won't cost at much.

sure, if he doesnt believe in a big money players' talent there's no reason to sign them. But if there was a hypothetical $19M DE out there who was worth it, he'd try to sign them I think.

It all goes back to player evaluation. I cant wait to see what our scouts, coaches and GM think about each of these interesting riddles. This is really the best offseason ever. So much fun!

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree with both statements. I think he grabs a Free agent at DE by thinks Davenport gets a big contract without a lot of production last year. I tink he grabs someone like Ngakoue that won't cost at much.

Poles has said elite money has to be matched against elite performance and elite football character.  I can't see him spending top dollar on Davenport.  A 2nd tier FA feels like a better fit here especially with a deep draft of edge rushers.  

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

For fun, I looked to see what the league average is for spending on each position group.

This is the 2022 NFL average cap allotment:

OL.      $42.4 Million

QB.       $21.3 Million

RB.       $9.6 Million

TE.       $10.2 Million

WR.      $29.3 Million

DL.       $36.6 Million

LB.        $25.5 Million

DB.       $35.2 Million

ST.       $4.9 Million

You can see a few things right away.

1) $50 Million/year QBs really cost your team in other areas

2) QBs on their Rookie deals give you space to beef up the Defense

3) we have a rookie deal QB and two rookie deal defensive backs, so we can afford a more than the average on the D Line

4) RBs are just not a position to spend big on, ditto LBs

Obviously there are true stud players who can take over a game from any position, like Troy Polomalu, or Ray Lewis or Barry Sanders, and you might pay them a lot more than their position. But all things being equal, which they pretty much are when you have a wide open salary cap like we do, that money is gonna go to the DL and the OL.

So I think they sign two big free agents on the DL AND draft DL high as well.

This is also why I expect at least 3 new starters on the OL next year.

They really need to break it down by Edge, IDL, and LB.  So OLine, DLine, and Secondary, then WR, LB, TE, then RB.

2 hours ago, adam said:

They really need to break it down by Edge, IDL, and LB.  So OLine, DLine, and Secondary, then WR, LB, TE, then RB.

sure, but if you're playing amateur GM like I am, it gives you a starting point for what you might be able to reasonably afford in each group.

15 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

sure, but if you're playing amateur GM like I am, it gives you a starting point for what you might be able to reasonably afford in each group.

Oh yeah, for sure. I assume they put DEs with DL and OLBs with the LB.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I assume they put DEs with DL and OLBs with the LB.

I dunno what percentage of teams play a 3-4, but since the average LB group is $25M, it looks like edge rushers are with the DL?

Looking at all these cap numbers, I noticed a few things.

• Fields makes HALF of what Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance make due to where he was drafted. Fields full contract was $18.8M, Wilson's was $35.1M, that is crazy.
  • No wonder Lamar Jackson wants a new deal, he has only made $32M for his first 5 seasons, with an MVP season in there.
  • Jalen Hurts total earnings thru this year: $4.1M which includes a cap hit of only $1.6M for this season. For the Super Bowl, these are two totally different constructed teams. The Eagles have $34M more money in non-QBs than the Chiefs roster.
  • With the Bears cap situation, and where Fields is in his rookie deal, there should be zero excuses as the Bears can field one of the most expensive rosters in the league excluding QB. 
  • Side Note - If for some reason Fields is not the guy and doesn't take the next step as a passer, the Bears QB history since 2017 could look like this:
    • 2017 - Passes up arguably one of the best QBs in the history of the game (Mahomes), while also trading up for no reason to draft Trubisky - insert Clown Face
    • 2018 - Since Bears have Trubisky, they draft Roquan Smith, who is no longer on the team, and pass on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.
    • 2019 - Due to Khalil Mack trade, Bears do not have 1st rounder, and still think Trubisky can go from 101 to 201. False hope season.
    • 2020 - Bears realize they are stuck with Trubisky, and that he is not the guy, but due to the Mack trade, the Bears do not have 1st rounder again, miss on Justin Herbert in the 1st, draft Cole Kmet in the 2nd, and 10 picks later Jalen Hurts gets drafted. 
    • 2021 - Bears trade up to draft Justin Fields, giving up a 2022 1st.
    • 2022 - Due to Justin Fields trade, Bears don't have a 1st Rounder
    • 2023 - Bears trade #1 pick, another team trades up and drafts a QB that becomes better than Fields. 
    • That would be a sad 6 year run with 3 huge misses at QB.

37 minutes ago, adam said:

Looking at all these cap numbers, I noticed a few things.

• Fields makes HALF of what Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance make due to where he was drafted. Fields full contract was $18.8M, Wilson's was $35.1M, that is crazy.
  • No wonder Lamar Jackson wants a new deal, he has only made $32M for his first 5 seasons, with an MVP season in there.
  • Jalen Hurts total earnings thru this year: $4.1M which includes a cap hit of only $1.6M for this season. For the Super Bowl, these are two totally different constructed teams. The Eagles have $34M more money in non-QBs than the Chiefs roster.
  • With the Bears cap situation, and where Fields is in his rookie deal, there should be zero excuses as the Bears can field one of the most expensive rosters in the league excluding QB. 
  • Side Note - If for some reason Fields is not the guy and doesn't take the next step as a passer, the Bears QB history since 2017 could look like this:
    • 2017 - Passes up arguably one of the best QBs in the history of the game (Mahomes), while also trading up for no reason to draft Trubisky - insert Clown Face
    • 2018 - Since Bears have Trubisky, they draft Roquan Smith, who is no longer on the team, and pass on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.
    • 2019 - Due to Khalil Mack trade, Bears do not have 1st rounder, and still think Trubisky can go from 101 to 201. False hope season.
    • 2020 - Bears realize they are stuck with Trubisky, and that he is not the guy, but due to the Mack trade, the Bears do not have 1st rounder again, miss on Justin Herbert in the 1st, draft Cole Kmet in the 2nd, and 10 picks later Jalen Hurts gets drafted. 
    • 2021 - Bears trade up to draft Justin Fields, giving up a 2022 1st.
    • 2022 - Due to Justin Fields trade, Bears don't have a 1st Rounder
    • 2023 - Bears trade #1 pick, another team trades up and drafts a QB that becomes better than Fields. 
    • That would be a sad 6 year run with 3 huge misses at QB.

yes. TOTAL GM malpractice.

And I blame the owners too. Imagine telling Pace and Nagy these two things for multiple years:

1) your job is on the line and you need to win now

2) its OK to trade future picks and make short term decisions over long term ones.

what do you THINK would happen? In ANY business?

We gotta see if Leatherwood can play LG.  If so, Whitehair is a trade or cap cut.  Also, the more I think of it, Eddie Jackson should be traded.  If not, he should be a post June 1 cut.  He's not that high end difference maker and saves us 14 million.  Gotta get the trenches built with players on the rise.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

We gotta see if Leatherwood can play LG.  If so, Whitehair is a trade or cap cut.  Also, the more I think of it, Eddie Jackson should be traded.  If not, he should be a post June 1 cut.  He's not that high end difference maker and saves us 14 million.  Gotta get the trenches built with players on the rise.

I agree with both. I can see us keeping EJax this year because we have too many holes to fill, and he was playing Ok this year, but in the long run I totally agree, and if anyone wants to offer a trade for him for something Id seriously think about taking it.

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yes. TOTAL GM malpractice.

And I blame the owners too. Imagine telling Pace and Nagy these two things for multiple years:

1) your job is on the line and you need to win now

2) its OK to trade future picks and make short term decisions over long term ones.

what do you THINK would happen? In ANY business?

Yeah, it's insane really. I heard a good review on Stroud, who has similar traits and performance as Fields did. The knock on him is the offense he was in looks great with a lot of time and great receivers, but in the NFL, that type of intermediate to deep style just doesn't work effectively enough to be sustainable. 

I just hope Fields is like other QBs that came out of those situations and figured it out. the concern is most of them don't.