Interest for #1 pick heating up

adam

Digging around OTC's site.   Here's a nice link to Rookie Pool and associated Cap hits which are lower (signing bonuses).  Trades will affect this of course but right now we're at $14mil with $8mil cap hit.   Houston is at $20mil with $11mil cap hit.  Just gives us a reference point for where we might land with a trade back deal.  

https://overthecap.com/draft

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Digging around OTC's site.   Here's a nice link to Rookie Pool and associated Cap hits which are lower (signing bonuses).  Trades will affect this of course but right now we're at $14mil with $8mil cap hit.   Houston is at $20mil with $11mil cap hit.  Just gives us a reference point for where we might land with a trade back deal.  

https://overthecap.com/draft

I like OTC over spotrac, easier to navigate.

We need more What-If scenarios like this in the media to help our trade down cause.  AZ is a great target for the 2nd cluster of QB-needy teams.  I don't even care what they are proposing just keep the rumors alive because it puts the pressure on the Colts that they might end up getting the 3rd best QB.     

https://bleacherreport.com/videos/369833-raiders-trade-packages-for-no-3

15 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We need more What-If scenarios like this in the media to help our trade down cause.  AZ is a great target for the 2nd cluster of QB-needy teams.  I don't even care what they are proposing just keep the rumors alive because it puts the pressure on the Colts that they might end up getting the 3rd best QB.     

The shady sports journalists will do that for us, just to keep clicks coming their way. Eric Lambert just did a mock draft trading Fields to Seattle and drafting Young. Getting one an extra first. How stupid is that.

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yeah we do, because if you think about a team like the Texans, what is the point of drafting a QB now when you don't have anything around him? I doubt they even want to draft a QB. With their new coach Ryans as an ex-NFL LB, I could see them going D-Line first. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah we do, because if you think about a team like the Texans, what is the point of drafting a QB now when you don't have anything around him? I doubt they even want to draft a QB. With their new coach Ryans as an ex-NFL LB, I could see them going D-Line first. 

Because it is the most difficult position to play in professional sports.  If you don’t have one and believe that player is on the board then you draft him.  Demeco is smart enough to remember what happens in a Superbowl when you have the wrong QB.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

We did when we drafted Fields.

Anyway, I'm not sure the Texans need a QB as bad as most say.  Davis Mills can throw the ball.  He needs weapons just like Justin.  They are guaranteed to NOT say a damn thing about it, because they are in a prime spot to screw the Colts.  I'm really starting to feel for the Colts fans in my community.

Seen a Chat Sports- Houston version. They stated the trade for # 1 would cost # 2--A 2023 3rd round -- 2024 1st rounder ( Cleveland).  But we have to throw in a 2023 5th rounder.

You guys think that is a fair trade? I think it's a joke myself. 

I think it will be # 2 , pick 33, 5 th round pick, 2024 1st rounder. 

What say you?

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Seen a Chat Sports- Houston version. They stated the trade for # 1 would cost # 2--A 2023 3rd round -- 2024 1st rounder ( Cleveland).  But we have to throw in a 2023 5th rounder.

You guys think that is a fair trade? I think it's a joke myself. 

I think it will be # 2 , pick 33, 5 th round pick, 2024 1st rounder. 

What say you?

I am seeing a lot like that, if the Bears can get an extra 1st, I like it.  Also, if HOU is giving up the CLE 1st rounder, then the 5th from the Bears is the one from BAL. Then I am ok with it. 

So for one slot, that the Bears did nothing for (thanks Texans), they could get an extra 1st rounder in 2024 + a 3rd rounder (#65) for a 5th rounder (BAL-#157)? 

I think they can still trade down again and get that extra 2nd if they want it. They could also group picks and move back up if they want.

As much as I don't like it, Claypool is the Bears original 2nd rounder. We can't forget about that, that we actually have a player and there is not necessarily a requirement to make moves to recoup that exact pick. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I am seeing a lot like that, if the Bears can get an extra 1st, I like it.  Also, if HOU is giving up the CLE 1st rounder, then the 5th from the Bears is the one from BAL. Then I am ok with it. 

So for one slot, that the Bears did nothing for (thanks Texans), they could get an extra 1st rounder in 2024 + a 3rd rounder (#65) for a 5th rounder (BAL-#157)? 

I think they can still trade down again and get that extra 2nd if they want it. They could also group picks and move back up if they want.

As much as I don't like it, Claypool is the Bears original 2nd rounder. We can't forget about that, that we actually have a player and there is not necessarily a requirement to make moves to recoup that exact pick. 

Personally, I think a bidding war escalates the value we will receive.

57 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The more I chew on it, the more I want an extra first rounder for next year.  This year is for building the foundation and completely evaluating Fields future.  2024 will either be time to contend or draft a new QB. The extra pick will really help either way.

Yep, a 2024 1st rounder has to be the top priority. That way if for some reason Fields does not improve, the Bears would have two (potentially top 10) 1st rounders in 2024.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Yep, a 2024 1st rounder has to be the top priority. That way if for some reason Fields does not improve, the Bears would have two (potentially top 10) 1st rounders in 2024.

As much as a 2024 1 st rounder is valuable, It does nothing to get better this year. Concentrate on value this year and just get someone to throw it in.

6 hours ago, adam said:

Getting a future 1st from a bad team needing a QB means it could potentially be a slot 1-5 pick again.  If so, imagine being able to trade down again in 2024 and gain more assets. That is patriot power moves

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The more I chew on it, the more I want an extra first rounder for next year.  This year is for building the foundation and completely evaluating Fields future.  2024 will either be time to contend or draft a new QB. The extra pick will really help either way.

I totally agree. And for the first time in forever, the Bears would be ahead of the rhythm, rather than playing catch up. That's the way to be sustainable, and what we bought with this years awful record. Cool!

I think Poles knows what to do. Him and Cunningham came from good organizations. If he wants Carter or Anderson he won't move back past 4. If he gets the mother load , he will surprise us. I think at a minimum to move one spot, we get a # 2 , pick 34, and a # 1 next year. For # 4 it should be a little spicer. An extra 2023 pick, an extra. 2024 pick plus a second round and the first from next year of course. What if we drop to 7 or 9 ? 

On 2/27/2023 at 12:25 AM, Stinger226 said:

I think Poles knows what to do. Him and Cunningham came from good organizations. If he wants Carter or Anderson he won't move back past 4. If he gets the mother load , he will surprise us. I think at a minimum to move one spot, we get a # 2 , pick 34, and a # 1 next year. For # 4 it should be a little spicer. An extra 2023 pick, an extra. 2024 pick plus a second round and the first from next year of course. What if we drop to 7 or 9 ? 

If he can get pick #33 AND a 1st rounder in 2024 to move down one pick, then he is already GM of the Year. To me, it is going to be either or with a few other picks. 

From previous trades, it looks like this:

Moving down 1-2 picks: An additional 2nd rounder + more

Moving down 3-5 picks: 1 additional first rounder + more

Moving down 6-9 picks: 2 additional first rounders + more

Trading of the 1st pick has only happened once in the last 21 years. The Titans traded away the #1 pick (Goff) to receive #15, #43, #45, #76, a 2017 1st (#5), and a 2017 3rd (#100).  What really made it for them was the 1st rounder in 2017 ending up as #5. They got 2x 1sts, 2x 2nds, and 2x 3rds for 14 slots

Trading up for a QB or inside the top 5 has only happened a few times in the last few years as well.

- In 2021, SF went 12 to 3 (9 slots not to #1) with MIA for Lance, and MIA got #12, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd, and a 2023 1st. So 3x 1sts, and 1x 3rd for 9 slots.

- In 2018, the Jets traded #6, #37, #49, and 2019 2nd for #3 (3 slots); so a 1st, and 3x 2nds for 3 slots. For Darnold.

- In 2017, the Bears traded up one slot with SF to #2 for #3, #67, #111, and a 2018 3rd (#70). So a 1st, 2x 3rds, and a 4th for one slot.  Obviously for Trubisky.

That's it, there really hasn't been much other movement in the top 5. 

One interesting theme, the QB traded up for really hasn't panned out. Lance is the only one still on his original team, Trubisky has now been on 3 teams, Darnold on 9, Goff on 2. 

In Poles first draft he turned 5 picks into 11 picks and got 4 starters out of the draft plus Jack Sanborn  was in that class also . He knows what he's doing. Although it didn't work out, he went after Brian Allen, Ryan Bates in free agency. Backup plan was Patrick. None of those ending up panning out but we see what he wanted to do. He clearly didn't like Jenkins as a OT but stayed with him to find a spot for him. Jenkins was the 4 th ranked guard in the NFL according to PPF ( something to compare players). Even if Jones is an average LT, he scored big as a 5 th round pick. I can't wait to see what he does with arguably the best situation ever for a GM.

Yesterday Poles said he's open to trading the first pick before FA begins as that could help them plan.  He also said they'll be evaluating the QBs at the combine and Flus said they have interviews scheduled with Young and Stroud.  So we're doing enough to keep 'em guessing but I think it's clear the pick is definitely for sale if the price is right. 

With that I'd say Poles intends to use the combine week to do some heavy negotiations, maybe generate something of a feeding frenzy before teams get too deep into the QB evals.   Is he trying to get something done early with HOU or IND so he stays in the top 4?  From there  if he likes the talent trade back again on draft day to 7/8/9?   Or is he willing to drop back to 9 with Carolina straight up?  Trades further back will definitely involve players and picks.