Super Bowl feedback

adam

It was a fairly entertaining game until the ticky tack call that basically ended the game. It probably was the right call, but tough given the situation (not called earlier). However, the Eagles did that to themselves, their vaunted defense was terrible. Hurts fumbles against no contact and it ends up as a defensive TD. Crazy to think the Eagles offense outscored the Chiefs offense and lost. 

BTW, thanks for the 4th round pick for Quinn(#132). As much as Roseman gets a ton of credit for his roster construction, which he should, giving up a a 4th for less than 100 snaps of Quinn seems comical at this point. 

Mahomes won the MVP with 182 passing yards, 6.7 yds an attempt, with 2 of his 3 passing TDs to wide open receivers. 

I wonder if we will hear how Hurts is a RB this offseason with 3 rushing TDs and 70 rushing yards?

After watching the game and the playoffs, I actually feel better about the Bears turnaround with Fields. There was maybe one wow throw the entire game, from Hurts to Goedert. The QBs combined for over 110 rushing yards, Fields would've had 300. I can't believe how much faster Fields is than even someone like Hurts. Getsy needs to get better at play design and play calls. The Chiefs always have someone open. The Bears rarely have someone open, that was clearly visible. We need more motion, that jet sweep counter was deadly and almost uncoverable because if you stop and they keep going the jet sweep is wide open. You ultimately have to bracket the player in motion on both sides of the field.

Great game, I am glad it is over because the CHICAGO BEARS ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK!

9 hours ago, adam said:

Getsy needs to get better at play design and play calls. The Chiefs always have someone open. The Bears rarely have someone open, that was clearly visible. We need more motion, that jet sweep counter was deadly and almost uncoverable because if you stop and they keep going the jet sweep is wide open. You ultimately have to bracket the player in motion on both sides of the field.

Now that Getsy completely knows what he has, I think some changes will be made.  Of course overall talent effects how the defense reacts to any given play.  The fact we rarely threatened downfield last season lead to a lot of loaded boxes to deal with.  That in turn did lead to some monster runs from Fields.  This year should provide a little more balance.  What I am looking for is for us to develop some "go to" plays for the 4th quarter and key situations.

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Now that Getsy completely knows what he has, I think some changes will be made.  Of course overall talent effects how the defense treats to any given play.  The fact we rarely threatened downfield last season lead to a lot of loaded boxes to deal with.  That in turn did lead to some monster runs from Fields.  This year should provide a little more balance.  What I am looking for is for us to develop some "go to" plays for the 4th quarter and key situations.

Well said as talent definitely impacts the way a defense reacts.  The Eagles just played really poor defense.  It's unfortunate they always give MVP to skill players because IMO it was the Chiefs' Oline that deserved it.  They just ran over the Eagles front 7.  

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Well said as talent definitely impacts the way a defense reacts.  The Eagles just played really poor defense.  It's unfortunate they always give MVP to skill players because IMO it was the Chiefs' Oline that deserved it.  They just ran over the Eagles front 7.  

I agree, that O-Line was the true MVP, they should've shared the award. Mahomes did nothing special on his own. He had a couple of wide open runs, 2 TD passes to wide open receivers and one to arguably the best TE ever. With Brady retiring, he is now the anointed one.

I agree that Fields looks more like Hester out there, than any of these mobile QBs - I just worry about injury running him too much?

If Fields can become a better passer (with more protection and open WRs!) then he will only tap into that talent a bit when picking up 3rd downs etc, and then you can unleash him in important playoff and Super Bowl games - he will be VERY hard to stop.

The future is blue and orange!

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree that Fields looks more like Hester out there, than any of these mobile QBs - I just worry about injury running him too much?

If Fields can become a better passer (with more protection and open WRs!) then he will only tap into that talent a bit when picking up 3rd downs etc, and then you can unleash him in important playoff and Super Bowl games - he will be VERY hard to stop.

The future is blue and orange!

Fields had 160 rushing attempts, but a ton were scrambles (I need to find those numbers). Hurts had 165 attempts (led all QBs), Allen had 124, Daniel Jones had 120, and Lamar had 112 in 12 games.  Fields had 400 more yards than Hurts in 5 fewer attempts. That is insane.

With a better O-Line, he probably scrambles 2 fewer times per game (if not more), so his attempts would be down 30 to 130ish, in line with Allen and Jones. 

Yeah, if we have competent receivers who are a threat that the defense has to honor, AND they need a spy on Fields, someone should be open on every play.

33 minutes ago, adam said:

Fields had 160 rushing attempts, but a ton were scrambles (I need to find those numbers). Hurts had 165 attempts (led all QBs), Allen had 124, Daniel Jones had 120, and Lamar had 112 in 12 games.  Fields had 400 more yards than Hurts in 5 fewer attempts. That is insane.

With a better O-Line, he probably scrambles 2 fewer times per game (if not more), so his attempts would be down 30 to 130ish, in line with Allen and Jones. 

Yeah, if we have competent receivers who are a threat that the defense has to honor, AND they need a spy on Fields, someone should be open on every play.

its gonna be fun to watch - we just gotta keep him healthy.

6 hours ago, adam said:

Even though the defensive front 7 needs rebuilt, they have to get the offense right first. We cannot let Fields go to waste.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:07 AM, adam said:

It was a fairly entertaining game until the ticky tack call that basically ended the game. It probably was the right call, but tough given the situation (not called earlier). However, the Eagles did that to themselves, their vaunted defense was terrible. Hurts fumbles against no contact and it ends up as a defensive TD. Crazy to think the Eagles offense outscored the Chiefs offense and lost. 

BTW, thanks for the 4th round pick for Quinn(#132). As much as Roseman gets a ton of credit for his roster construction, which he should, giving up a a 4th for less than 100 snaps of Quinn seems comical at this point. 

Mahomes won the MVP with 182 passing yards, 6.7 yds an attempt, with 2 of his 3 passing TDs to wide open receivers. 

I wonder if we will hear how Hurts is a RB this offseason with 3 rushing TDs and 70 rushing yards?

After watching the game and the playoffs, I actually feel better about the Bears turnaround with Fields. There was maybe one wow throw the entire game, from Hurts to Goedert. The QBs combined for over 110 rushing yards, Fields would've had 300. I can't believe how much faster Fields is than even someone like Hurts. Getsy needs to get better at play design and play calls. The Chiefs always have someone open. The Bears rarely have someone open, that was clearly visible. We need more motion, that jet sweep counter was deadly and almost uncoverable because if you stop and they keep going the jet sweep is wide open. You ultimately have to bracket the player in motion on both sides of the field.

Great game, I am glad it is over because the CHICAGO BEARS ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK!

I watched a different game. Hurts blew me away. The good news to me was Hirts wasn’t that guy 2 years ago so you can see the leap he took from year 2 to 3.

That said - I saw elite throwing out of Hurts combined with excellent use of his legs. Tons of balls where only his guy could get it. Showed me just how poor Fields was as a passer - so there is a huge gap between him and Hurts from that standpoint but as I mentioned above Hurts grew massively in one year and we know Fields has the tools so that excites me. 

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I watched a different game. Hurts blew me away. The good news to me was Hirts wasn’t that guy 2 years ago so you can see the leap he took from year 2 to 3.

That said - I saw elite throwing out of Hurts combined with excellent use of his legs. Tons of balls where only his guy could get it. Showed me just how poor Fields was as a passer - so there is a huge gap between him and Hurts from that standpoint but as I mentioned above Hurts grew massively in one year and we know Fields has the tools so that excites me. 

He played a great game, but didn't blow me away. That fumble was literally a 10-pt swing. Philly had a 24-14 lead at half with KC getting 7 from that fumble. Without it, it's 24-7 at the worst. 

His growth does give us hope for Fields development. 

14 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

We did see things differently.  I thought he played well overall but IMO he was often late on his reads.  Or KC suddenly developed an elite secondary to match up against those WRs.  In some ways it was similar to what we've seen from Fields and it led to pockets collapsing and scrambles outside the pocket.   He was often successful outside the pocket.  When the pressure was on in the 3rd quarter he wasn't able to respond although that was the case with the entire team.  Their road to the Superbowl was easy maybe that led to some nerves and execution issues when it got tight.  

The fumble was inexcusable for an MVP type QB and was the difference in the game.  We can't ignore that stuff as it completely changed the momentum of the game.   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

We did see things differently.  I thought he played well overall but IMO he was often late on his reads.  Or KC suddenly developed an elite secondary to match up against those WRs.  In some ways it was similar to what we've seen from Fields and it led to pockets collapsing and scrambles outside the pocket.   He was often successful outside the pocket.  When the pressure was on in the 3rd quarter he wasn't able to respond although that was the case with the entire team.  Their road to the Superbowl was easy maybe that led to some nerves and execution issues when it got tight.  

The fumble was inexcusable for an MVP type QB and was the difference in the game.  We can't ignore that stuff as it completely changed the momentum of the game.   

I thought Hurts had 3-4 plus plays, most were average, and 3-4 bad plays, which equates to a fairly average outing (individually). The O-Line, Brown, Smith, and Goedert all made some big plays. Brown's huge 1v2 catch could've easily been an Interception. 

I know he stepped on Kelce's foot, but man, that last hail mary looked like a Tebow pass. Hurts has to be a little bit more aware of his surroundings on a play with only 3 rushers.