Roster transactions

Stinger226

Like I said, almost everyone on this team, contract or not, is just another Free Agent option to be compared to what's available. Almost no one is safe. Some may be retained because they merit it, but simply having an existing contract wont mean much at all at this point in and of itself.

17 minutes ago, adam said:

More cap space, I love it. Muhammad was an under achiever. A Flus guy though, red flag for Flus?

Last year Poles main criteria was finding players who would sign a one year deal.   As far as Flus i don’t think AQM hurt the locker room culture, just the win loss record.  

10 hours ago, adam said:

More cap space, I love it. Muhammad was an under achiever. A Flus guy though, red flag for Flus?

He had 7 sacks the previous year, so getting a player that knew the system and had decent production seemed like a logical move. It didn't work out. Harry was drafted in the first round by the Patriots, sometimes moves don't work out. The most important thing is Poles doesn't marry players, if they don't produce, goodbye. ESB was brought in last year because of a connection with Getsy. He got another contract by just being okay.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So who gets cut next? I don't think it's Whitehair or Patrick. Poles won't cut them until he has a replacement.

I'll guess Vildor.   They know they have to fix that starting CB, or NB position if they move Gordon outside, this offseason and the young guys showed enough last year IMO to compete for depth along with a draft pick.  We might as well save the $2.7mil now.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I'll guess Vildor.   They know they have to fix that starting CB, or NB position if they move Gordon outside, this offseason and the young guys showed enough last year IMO to compete for depth along with a draft pick.  We might as well save the $2.7mil now.  

That's the only one that's makes sense. They save2.7 mil, the young backups have a higher upside than Vildor does at minimal contracts. They will target someone in Free agency but not at a high dollar to compete.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, Stinger226 said:

Angelo Blackson was released today. He had a avoidable year but still on the rorster.

Also they resigned Dieter Eiselen. Do they have a plan for him? He keeps hanging around. He can play both OG and OC. Can he earn a starter spot? 

Hopefully the plan is for him to compete to take over as the backup C/OG.  I'd certainly like to see him win that job over Mustipher or Patrick because IMO he's got more upside.   Can another offseason close the gap for him?  

On 2/23/2023 at 3:53 PM, BearFan PHX said:

I think Mustipher and Patrick will both be gone by opening day

Mustipher is already gone, he's a RFA, Patrick would need to be cut. He won't be gone until Poles replaces him. I think our free agents that Poles wanted back will be signed soon or he probably won't be bringing them back.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Bummer but it puts them in a tough spot for a QB.  It'll be interesting to see how they resolve that problem.   

They could still pull it at any time if a QB opportunity pops up, although unlikely to happen.  I don't think that Hargrave is an option because in our window to be good, 2024-2025 Hargrave may not be effective at his age. It has to be Tremont Jones or maybe Kyle Allen.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They could still pull it at any time if a QB opportunity pops up, although unlikely to happen.  I don't think that Hargrave is an option because in our window to be good, 2024-2025 Hargrave may not be effective at his age. It has to be Tremont Jones or maybe Kyle Allen.

I'm not that interested in Hargrave either.  I prefer to find a cheaper younger DT who won't have as much cap hit.  He might not offer the same performance but he won't hamstring on our roster flexibility either.  Despite all the excitement with $100mil to spend this is a 2yr rebuild.  

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not that interested in Hargrave either.  I prefer to find a cheaper younger DT who won't have as much cap hit.  He might not offer the same performance but he won't hamstring on our roster flexibility either.  Despite all the excitement with $100mil to spend this is a 2yr rebuild.  

I listened to the Score today and they had some interesting takes. With Payne gone and Hargrave to old, they talked about asking for Buckner as a throw in for the first pick.  He will be 29 on March 17th. He is one year younger than Hargrave but he has two years left on his contract with no guaranteed money at 20 mil a year.. If you sign Hargrave you will have to sign a minimum of 3 years at at least the same. Let's say both have strong years for the next two, you eliminate the big dollar spend on the third yr of Hargrave at the age of 33. You can move on from Buckner at 32 if need be.  Bring in a lower draft pick to groom to take over in 2 years. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Despite all the excitement with $100mil to spend this is a 2yr rebuild.  

I like how everyone here understands we're looking long term - to build something sustainable - and not just playing Madden trying to put together a team of over priced has-beens with bigger names in the fantasy that we could win now before it all falls apart. The last few GMs thought like that. Im glad we all get it and have the patience to do this right.