Consensus Big Board Top 10 (25 FEB Edition)

adam

53 minutes ago, adam said:

OK, if the Bears do move back to somewhere around 9 (CAR). Who are you picking at 9? Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Witherspoon, and Murphy are off the board as positional players.

Is that the spot for JSN or do you go Paris Johnson?

If the Bears run a Lovie style D, then using your premium draft pick on a CB would be out, imo.  

I said this earlier, but Justin Fields said he would like the Bears to get JSN, but he understands they need to get the big guys in the trenches.  I would not be surprised if they take his boy.

1 hour ago, adam said:

OK, if the Bears do move back to somewhere around 9 (CAR). Who are you picking at 9? Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Witherspoon, and Murphy are off the board as positional players.

Is that the spot for JSN or do you go Paris Johnson?

Paris Johnson all day.  Protecting Fields is job 1, I'll find a slot WR somewhere even if it's next year.  

On 3/8/2023 at 7:58 AM, adam said:

The post combine consensus mock has the following players going in this order:

Anderson, Young, Wilson, Stroud, Carter as the top 5. Then Gonzalez, Levis, Murphy, Robinson, and Witherspoon to finish the top 10.

That leaves the next 5 as Paris Johnson, Quentin Johnston, Broderick Jones, Bryan Bresee, and Michael Mayer as 11-15. JSN is going 21 right now. 

So if the Bears go down to 4, they will get Anderson, Wilson, or Carter. 

If they go to 9, they will be looking at Witherspoon, Johnson, Johnston, Jones, Bresee, Mayer, or JSN as their options there.

So now who are the Bears picking at #9? I don't think they go WR now with Moore penciled in as WR1, unless they are not sold on Mooney as WR2. 

If they are not going WR with 9, then Witherspoon (CB), Johnson (OL), Jones (OL), or Bresee (DL) seem like the pick.

8 hours ago, adam said:

So now who are the Bears picking at #9? I don't think they go WR now with Moore penciled in as WR1, unless they are not sold on Mooney as WR2. 

If they are not going WR with 9, then Witherspoon (CB), Johnson (OL), Jones (OL), or Bresee (DL) seem like the pick.

Right now my top target is Skoronski.   Seems like he is the most likely perrenial Pro Bowl player and I like his position versatility.  Ideal replacement at LG.  

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Right now my top target is Skoronski.   Seems like he is the most likely perrenial Pro Bowl player and I like his position versatility.  Ideal replacement at LG.  

That may be in play. He drafts him and if he looks good, cuts Whitehair. Post June 1 cut gives us 9.9 mil cap space. Flexibility is the key. Free agency gets us new starters at OC and RT.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Here's a draft with what I suspect will be our FA gets figured in .

I would have took Van Ness but Carter dropped, I had to take him.

16785947567265841319189089186024.jpg

Carter is a no-brainer if he falls to 9, I doubt that happens though.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:01 AM, AZ54 said:

Bears coaching staff (and management) sighted at (and allegedly running) Northwestern Pro Day.  Coach Fitz heard saying the Bears need to get Skronksi.  I’m thinking this is a likelihood with the recent shuffle of the draft order.  

I'm starting to get an Eddie Goldman vibe from Carter.

I don't care that he was racing - the best DTs are always trouble. Donald, Suh, Haynesworth, Sapp etc - what bothers me is that he didnt show up in top shape to kick ass in front of everyone and say "oh yeah? you wanna question me? look what i can do" but he didn't.

next, maybe in the second round.

29 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm starting to get an Eddie Goldman vibe from Carter.

I don't care that he was racing - the best DTs are always trouble. Donald, Suh, Haynesworth, Sapp etc - what bothers me is that he didnt show up in top shape to kick ass in front of everyone and say "oh yeah? you wanna question me? look what i can do" but he didn't.

next, maybe in the second round.

Scouts have said before the incident he doesn't love the game.  He is not a Eberflus guy imo.  

29 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Scouts have said before the incident he doesn't love the game.  He is not a Eberflus guy imo.  

I hadnt heard that re: scouts, if thats true (and I totally believe you) then that's a hard pass.

I saw some draft rankings tonight that have the top OTs in order:  Paris Johnson Jr.,  Skoronski (although most likely OG), Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright,  then Broderick Jones.  They said Broderick Jones has some fatal flaws with his feet and balance that will hurt him in the NFL.   Just something to consider should we make another trade back from 9.   If we stay Paris Johnson Jr. has to be the top target.  He played RG in 2021 so I don't think it'd be a big deal to switch back to RT.   Plus he has traits similar to Braxton Jones.  We ran a lot better to the left side last year behind Jones and if we can replicate that on the right side defenses will struggle to stop our run game.   

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/paris-johnson-jr-8c5b738d-aa9d-4e28-bbc9-800a41968975/

"Johnson is an explosive athlete with easy movement skills. He has exceptional range as a run blocker and can be trusted to execute longer pulls. He pairs top-end mobility with an impressive frame that features an athletic build with long limbs." 

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I saw some draft rankings tonight that have the top OTs in order:  Paris Johnson Jr.,  Skoronski (although most likely OG), Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright,  then Broderick Jones.  They said Broderick Jones has some fatal flaws with his feet and balance that will hurt him in the NFL.   Just something to consider should we make another trade back from 9.   If we stay Paris Johnson Jr. has to be the top target.  He played RG in 2021 so I don't think it'd be a big deal to switch back to RT.   Plus he has traits similar to Braxton Jones.  We ran a lot better to the left side last year behind Jones and if we can replicate that on the right side defenses will struggle to stop our run game.   

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/paris-johnson-jr-8c5b738d-aa9d-4e28-bbc9-800a41968975/

"Johnson is an explosive athlete with easy movement skills. He has exceptional range as a run blocker and can be trusted to execute longer pulls. He pairs top-end mobility with an impressive frame that features an athletic build with long limbs." 

I think he has a later OT he thinks can be a starter, maybe Cody Mauch, Matt Bergeron, or Jaelyn Duncan. He has the chance at getting a big blue on the D line with the 9 th pick. Tyree Wilson, Murphy or Van Ness. His ego has him thinking he can find talent later and still be good. ( Braxton Jones). I have read stellar reports about Duncan and Bergeron. I could be way off on that thinking.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think he has a later OT he thinks can be a starter, maybe Cody Mauch, Matt Bergeron, or Jaelyn Duncan. He has the chance at getting a big blue on the D line with the 9 th pick. Tyree Wilson, Murphy or Van Ness. His ego has him thinking he can find talent later and still be good. ( Braxton Jones). I have read stellar reports about Duncan and Bergeron. I could be way off on that thinking.

I agree except for calling it ego - it's expected availability?

I think he's prepared to trade up to early 2nd Rd and maybe as high as late 1st to get two of his top players.  If you think about it he could draft a top DE/DT (Murphy, Carter, Wilson) and then come back up to get his RT (Duncan, Wright, Harrison).   Or he can flip it and grab OT at 9 (Paris Johnson Jr) and then move up early 2nd for Edge (White, McDonald, Uzomah).    As Michael Irvin would say... we need some game changers.  Two picks in the top 35 sets us up well to do that and then add a DT and OC later.   

5 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I think he's prepared to trade up to early 2nd Rd and maybe as high as late 1st to get two of his top players.  If you think about it he could draft a top DE/DT (Murphy, Carter, Wilson) and then come back up to get his RT (Duncan, Wright, Harrison).   Or he can flip it and grab OT at 9 (Paris Johnson Jr) and then move up early 2nd for Edge (White, McDonald, Uzomah).    As Michael Irvin would say... we need some game changers.  Two picks in the top 35 sets us up well to do that and then add a DT and OC later.   

I expect one player at 9 or dropping down a bit more maybe, and then yes, we could package two of the three grouped picks near the ned of the 2nd to move up for another player earlier, and still get a player at the top of the third (or higher).

On 3/16/2023 at 2:18 AM, AZ54 said:

I think he's the guy.