Riddle Me This...

Mongo3451

There are two ways to interpret this: 

1) A Jason Kelce as in 6th Rd draft pick who in two years will work his way into being a Pro Bowl player?  This version is likely Rd 2 pick because there is some concern with the "floor".  

2) A Jason Kelce perennial Pro Bowl Center from year 1?   This version is 15-32  1st Rd pick because the floor is pretty good on draft day.  

You guys gave me all insight needed to make things clear to me on a positional basis.  In that I was thinking of Peter Skoronski.  His short arms have given people pause to be excited about him, but he's still considered top 12.  With his agility, strength and technique experts are saying, forget about the arms and play him at any position on the OL and he's going to be a day one starter.  If we draft Skoronski, at worst, he'll be a bigger faster stronger Kelce.  I'll take him all day long.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

You guys gave me all insight needed to make things clear to me on a positional basis.  In that I was thinking of Peter Skoronski.  His short arms have given people pause to be excited about him, but he's still considered top 12.  With his agility, strength and technique experts are saying, forget about the arms and play him at any position on the OL and he's going to be a day one starter.  If we draft Skoronski, at worst, he'll be a bigger faster stronger Kelce.  I'll take him all day long.

I don't think if we take Skronoski with the  9th pick  is  a bad idea. Put him at RT this year and figure it out next year.

As for right now Jenkins and Davis are our plum players on the OL. But there could be lingering Questions about Jenkins health issues. So Skon could be moved there if health injuries continue for Jenkins. Try to fix it and readdress it next year. ,You can't plan injuries.

• 5 weeks later...

I also think they didnt like the way he didnt fire off the ball, but instead was more of a catcher.

I mean, there have been dominant players, Im thinking of DT right now but its true for other positions as well, that didnt have the physical traits but who performed very well. I think part of what sunk Skoronski was his tape. If he was destroying people with those short arms, they might have taken him, but instead, while his feet were great, and he did maintain great body position, he was more of a technician than a punisher, and i think the personality they are trying to build is a tough physical team and Skoronski doesnt fit that type, short arms or no.

And as a technician, he wasnt flawless either, he often got bent backwards, his base was too high, and I think that may be problematic for him in the NFL - less so at guard than tackle, but who wants a finesse guard with the 10th pick?

15 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I also think they didnt like the way he didnt fire off the ball, but instead was more of a catcher.

I mean, there have been dominant players, Im thinking of DT right now but its true for other positions as well, that didnt have the physical traits but who performed very well. I think part of what sunk Skoronski was his tape. If he was destroying people with those short arms, they might have taken him, but instead, while his feet were great, and he did maintain great body position, he was more of a technician than a punisher, and i think the personality they are trying to build is a tough physical team and Skoronski doesnt fit that type, short arms or no.

And as a technician, he wasnt flawless either, he often got bent backwards, his base was too high, and I think that may be problematic for him in the NFL - less so at guard than tackle, but who wants a finesse guard with the 10th pick?

Skor will be a quality player but will end up a OG. Poles likes what he likes, and we will have to see how it turns out. Skor was picked 11th, many experts rate him the best OL in the draft. I think he excels .

RT was our top offensive need.  Why gamble on a guy beating the odds and becoming part of the bottom 5 percentile as a successful short-arm OT when you have the 9th pick in the draft and there are much better options who fit the 95th percentile of successful OTs?  Zero chance I'd put $20mil in salary/bonuses  down on that bet.   

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

RT was our top offensive need.  Why gamble on a guy beating the odds and becoming part of the bottom 5 percentile as a successful short-arm OT when you have the 9th pick in the draft and there are much better options who fit the 95th percentile of successful OTs?  Zero chance I'd put $20mil in salary/bonuses  down on that bet.   

What Poles has done is not sexy - but he is bit by bit making this team better and doing it from the trenches. 

Top to bottom this team is deeper - it has assets and cap flexibility long term - and are now positioned to truly get next level of their qb takes it their. If he doesn’t - they have a great starting point and the capital to get a qb a year from now - but right now I’m all in on Fields showing us he is the guy which means next year - move one of those firsts to get more capital again (keep ensuring you have that capital) and than load up again on athletic talent across the board. 

He rebuilt the WR room with two trades, Claypool and Moore. Then drafted a WR. Scott. Great job considering FAgency and the draft were not rated real  high this season. 

I like the process Poles has done to rebuilding the roster. Being patient and this year attacked the WR room and LB room. Drafted DTs when most of the edge rushers were gone. 

Rebuilt the OL with Davis and drafting Wright. He moved Whitehair to OC that literally improved 3 positions. Jones and Jenkins are promising young players.