3 Ts in the draft

Stinger226

If he drops, Jalen Carter is the prize as a 3 T. 

Other options:

Lucas Van Ness

Calijah Kancey

Bryan Bresee. Watch a lot of tape , he consistently gets in the backfield 

A Adebawore

Keion White

Tuli Tuipulotu

Keeanu Benson. Not perfect but would give you more than Justin Jones

Zach Harrison has the size and speed to do it, not the fit

Zach Pickens more of a rotational guy but could fill in

Isaiah McGuire. More of a rotational guy not idea

Byron Young/Ala. Could be a sleeper

Moro Ojomo could be a sleeper

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If he drops, Jalen Carter is the prize as a 3 T. 

Other options:

Lucas Van Ness

Calijah Kancey

Bryan Bresee. Watch a lot of tape , he consistently gets in the backfield 

A Adebawore

Keion White

Tuli Tuipulotu

Keeanu Benson. Not perfect but would give you more than Justin Jones

Zach Harrison has the size and speed to do it, not the fit

Zach Pickens more of a rotational guy but could fill in

Isaiah McGuire. More of a rotational guy not idea

Byron Young/Ala. Could be a sleeper

Moro Ojomo could be a sleeper

Van Ness, Adebawore, Keion White and Tuipulotu are edge players that are projected to be able to play 3T, which makes them versatile enough to play 3 out of the 4 positions on the DL.  I believe Carter has the ability to play all 4, so he's sort of a unicorn.  I hate to say it, but I think he's going to the Lions.

Gervon Dexter fits the 3-tech mold if someone can get him to move at the snap.   

Van Ness has a lot to learn to move inside fulltime.  He's used to playing in space plus and he's got to bulk up.  That means it's likely a full season as a backup needed before we can expect significant snaps from him inside.  I think he's got the ability to play 3-tech but projecting that fulltime, and knowing the year to ramp him up, is not something I want to do with a top 10 pick.  If we're drafting him it should be because he's the elite DE we need.   I've got questions there too as a top 10 pick.  

Of the guys you mention:

- I really like Bresee, but that would require a trade down. 
- Having a hard time coming around on Kancey. Small + short arms is a lot to overcome in the NFL. 
- Mid round guys I like are Pickens, Young, and Ojomo. I don’t really feel like Keion White or Tuli are big enough for 3T.  
- I’ve heard some like Karl Brooks at 3T, but I can’t quite reconcile his level of competition with the others in consideration. 

Sometimes undersized 3Ts are the best. Aaron Donald, John Randle and Warren Sapp come to mind.

Now I surely cant say if Kancey will be one of those or just an undersized washout. That's up to our scouts, Flus and Poles to figure out. But if they say yes, Im all in on Kancey.

His film is awesome, and his production in college was great.

I can say I want an actual 3T at 3T, and not an end who came inside on passing downs to be converted.

43 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Sometimes undersized 3Ts are the best. Aaron Donald, John Randle and Warren Sapp come to mind.

Now I surely cant say if Kancey will be one of those or just an undersized washout. That's up to our scouts, Flus and Poles to figure out. But if they say yes, Im all in on Kancey.

His film is awesome, and his production in college was great.

I can say I want an actual 3T at 3T, and not an end who came inside on passing downs to be converted.

Kancey’s size is comparable to Sapp and Donald coming out, but his arms are literally two inches shorter (Donald and Sapp were both right around 32 3/4”, Kancey’s are 30 5/8”). Will that matter in the NFL? I guess we’ll find out. 

14 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Kancey’s size is comparable to Sapp and Donald coming out, but his arms are literally two inches shorter (Donald and Sapp were both right around 32 3/4”, Kancey’s are 30 5/8”). Will that matter in the NFL? I guess we’ll find out. 

yeah like I said, I dunno. Whatever our scouts say is good with me. but I cant help hoping that he is the 3T we need. I guess I am reacting more to the hole at the position than the actual player. We need a dominant 3T for this defense. Without a pass rush, anyone can beat zone coverage given enough time.

Like everyone else, I want to see a blue chip OT added to this roster too, and i know how important Fields' development this year is. But i also know that until we have our 3T, we arent really a threat to do anything. We need both. I cant wait to see how Poles figures this out.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Gervon Dexter fits the 3-tech mold if someone can get him to move at the snap.   

Van Ness has a lot to learn to move inside fulltime.  He's used to playing in space plus and he's got to bulk up.  That means it's likely a full season as a backup needed before we can expect significant snaps from him inside.  I think he's got the ability to play 3-tech but projecting that fulltime, and knowing the year to ramp him up, is not something I want to do with a top 10 pick.  If we're drafting him it should be because he's the elite DE we need.   I've got questions there too as a top 10 pick.  

I think Carter is probably the only player worth picking at 9 on that list. Most would be trade back selections depending on how far we go back.  Or later round picks .Any of the DEs that can play 3 T , would just be rotational at both positions getting them a full time number of snaps. I think unless Carter or DE Wilson drop, their our pick. Otherwise it's OT or trade back.

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Carter is probably the only player worth picking at 9 on that list. Most would be trade back selections depending on how far we go back.  Or later round picks .Any of the DEs that can play 3 T , would just be rotational at both positions getting them a full time number of snaps. I think unless Carter or DE Wilson drop, their our pick. Otherwise it's OT or trade back.

if they value Kancey, I agree you drop down to take him, but I think hes gone by about pick 20. So if you think he's Aaron Donald, and you can grab him at, say, pick 12 or 13, do you really care if people say you reached by not paying the perfect price for him?

Alternatively, if short arms or something make you back off of him, then you probably shouldnt take him as your first pick in this draft at all. 2nd round, sure.

The film I've seen makes me really want him
, but I will defer to the Bears front office on that decision of course. It feels good to say that - it hasnt always been the case...

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

if they value Kancey, I agree you drop down to take him, but I think hes gone by about pick 20. So if you think he's Aaron Donald, and you can grab him at, say, pick 12 or 13, do you really care if people say you reached by not paying the perfect price for him?

Alternatively, if short arms or something make you back off of him, then you probably shouldnt take him as your first pick in this draft at all. 2nd round, sure.

The film I've seen makes me really want him
, but I will defer to the Bears front office on that decision of course. It feels good to say that - it hasnt always been the case...

Tough question. Poles and Flus value length, so they would have to get off of their traits list to take him. Philly needs a DT and they are a team with  the roster to  be able to take a chance with. AA arms are 33 7/8 with 4.49 speed. He would be a better fit at 3 T with those traits and could be gotten somewhere in the second round.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Tough question. Poles and Flus value length, so they would have to get off of their traits list to take him. Philly needs a DT and they are a team with  the roster to  be able to take a chance with. AA arms are 33 7/8 with 4.49 speed. He would be a better fit at 3 T with those traits and could be gotten somewhere in the second round.

yeah but a player is much more than their measurables for sure. AA isn't in the same class as Kancey. Kancey is a tremendous football players.

also, if you do want to talk about measurables, Kancey's RAS is elite.

The problem with Kancey and the arm length issue is run defense.  He may well end up a good pass rusher but remember a few years ago when we played the Rams and ran at Donald all game, with good success.  Kancey could have similar issues.  Pass rushing where he can use his quickness to get to edge of a blocker, or avoid their hands, is one thing but when the blockers are coming at him things are different.  I've drafted him in mocks but always in Rd 2, often with us trading up for him.  He's definitely someone to watch on draft day and sacking the QB is always in demand so perhaps he goes in Rd 1.  

Kancey is no Aaron Donald.  Let's get that straight.  I'm not afraid of his short arms though.  A guy that can consistently get in the backfield disrupts the timing of plays, which usually leads to a good result for the defense.  Mike Tyson had extremely short arms and was effective.  A short armed guy can be effective if they are special.  My issue with Kancey is that he doesn't seem special enough to invest a first round pick.  There is too much of a boom or bust factor.  At this point of team development, we are looking for solid.  Plus, he still has skinny ankles...?

I think Kancey is going top 20, so he has to be our first pick. Where A A probably is a 2 nd to early 3 rd pick. So how much of a difference is the grade for where we draft them. Most people have Carter as the first or second ranked pick. If we got him at 9, that would be huge value. Poles definitely looks at RAS and AA  has a 9.72 RAS score.

So AA is a better value at pick 53, than Kancey would be at 9. Greg Gabriel goes over the draft process and mentions both these players.

10 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Kancey is no Aaron Donald.  Let's get that straight.  I'm not afraid of his short arms though.  A guy that can consistently get in the backfield disrupts the timing of plays, which usually leads to a good result for the defense.  Mike Tyson had extremely short arms and was effective.  A short armed guy can be effective if they are special.  My issue with Kancey is that he doesn't seem special enough to invest a first round pick.  There is too much of a boom or bust factor.  At this point of team development, we are looking for solid.  Plus, he still has skinny ankles...?

lol @ the ankles

Like I said before, Im more interested in the position than the guy. Maybe we'll draft Carter, and then well all get behind that and hope he kicks ass.

I just think our situation at the DL is really bare, especially at 3T, and Kancey looks like he can do something. I imagine Edmunds cleaning up the run issues, and Fields scoring points so we need a pass rush at 3T. Billings will eat up the run from the other DT. He is the Fridge DT, and the 3T is the McMichael position. He was small too as I recall? Kancey is the same size as Zorich too. he's a classic undersized "go" tackle.