Likely scenario at #9

adam

I'm thinking there is too much smoke around this trade back plan with the Steelers.  It appears to have first been released to reporters in Pittsburgh.... but why was it released and by who?  Would Pitt really release that info?  In the end there is really nothing unusual about teams reaching out before the draft to discuss potential trades.  After all you are on the clock and knowing which teams to call first makes the most sense.  I'd hazard a guess that Poles has talked with every team from 10-20 asking if they might consider a trade on draft day if their player is available.   We don't have to know who their player is.  For all we know the Eagles might be very willing to move up one slot for Jalen Carter and pay a steep price for it.

Making some noise about trading with the Steelers is just like the noise around us willing to trade back to 9 with the Panthers.  It drives up the price for any team in between.  For the Panthers deal that extra hype got us DJ Moore who was not in the offer until last minute.   

Now it feels like a very similar situation with all the noise around us having two visits with Carter and it gets release that "he's our guy".  Then today we're getting visits or are "high on" RTs who are back half of the 1st Rd talents (Darnell Wright and now a visit with Dawand Jones) when we could easily be drafting PJJr, or Broderick Jones.  That 2nd cluster of RTs won't be around when we pick at 53.  That could just be simple due diligence for a trade back, or a trade up in Rd 2, but it's also making it clear our intent is to trade back, and possibly even beyond 20.  Is Poles working the rumor mill?  

Greg Gabriel says that teams don't seriously talk trade until a few days before the draft. If they talk now, it's, will you be willing to trade if our guy is there ? 

Listen to Brandon Thorn talk about the OL prospects.  He mentioned Tyler Steen, Mathew Bergeron, Wanya Morris other than the usual prospects. A lot of videos have mentioned. Bergeron and Wanya Morris as potential sleepers. Those will both be available in the second round. Both fit Poles OL profile.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Greg Gabriel says that teams don't seriously talk trade until a few days before the draft. If they talk now, it's, will you be willing to trade if our guy is there ? 

Listen to Brandon Thorn talk about the OL prospects.  He mentioned Tyler Steen, Mathew Bergeron, Wanya Morris other than the usual prospects. A lot of videos have mentioned. Bergeron and Wanya Morris as potential sleepers. Those will both be available in the second round. Both fit Poles OL profile.

Tyler Steen is a OT that would fit our blocking scheme.  If the Bears go D in the first , I would not be shocked if he was one of the Bears 2nd RD picks 

Been absorbing a lot info on prospects and every where I look, Skoronski is the best OL in this draft. I always nix him because of his arm length but do I think he can't play RT? Maybe not a all pro ? I don't know that.  I would have no problem if we draft him and put him there. Will become our best OL, that can't hurt.

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Been absorbing a lot info on prospects and every where I look, Skoronski is the best OL in this draft. I always nix him because of his arm length but do I think he can't play RT? Maybe not a all pro ? I don't know that.  I would have no problem if we draft him and put him there. Will become our best OL, that can't hurt.

I've read the same thing about Skoronski. If put at ROT, I think he'd be an excellent addition. If not, a developmental project Poles drafts late in the rounds or as a UDFA can fill the role when we need Skoronski to take Jenkins spot in the OL (when Jenkins contract expires and he demands to be released or traded because he wants to be an OT not an OG).

Alternate plan:    Draft Skoronski with intent to put him at RT but give him a look at OC.   

Late on Day 2 or early Day 3 draft our backup OT.   

Basically we let 'em all compete and start the best 5.   (assumption here is they want to keep Braxton Jones at LT).

Skoronski could play either RT or C.   Figure your floor is Whitehair at C, Skor at RT, rookie backup OT.   Your ceiling is Skor at Center and your other rookie at RT plus an extra $10mil in cap space.   Some of that money will be used to land a FA backup OT.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Alternate plan:    Draft Skoronski with intent to put him at RT but give him a look at OC.   

Late on Day 2 or early Day 3 draft our backup OT.   

Basically we let 'em all compete and start the best 5.   (assumption here is they want to keep Braxton Jones at LT).

Skoronski could play either RT or C.   Figure your floor is Whitehair at C, Skor at RT, rookie backup OT.   Your ceiling is Skor at Center and your other rookie at RT plus an extra $10mil in cap space.   Some of that money will be used to land a FA backup OT.  

In talking with Jurko today, he agrees with me on Skoronski.  Elite feet, great technique, great athleticism, great hand punch, elite awareness and elite football IQ.

One thing Jurko said is that he didn't think he'd be a good left tackle.  He loves him at the other 4.

You mentored him at center and that's exactly why posted that thread about the value of Kelce at center.  That's Skoronski's floor.

I've been watching all 22 film, and I gotta say I do not like Skoronski at all. There are a bunch of OTs I like better than him.

I realize that this is counter to the prevailing narrative right now in the media, so i expect it will sound stupid to most of you, but I'm watching the tape, and I don't see the explosion in his blocks. He is often in bad position, and cant absorb his opponent's energy, getting pushed back or folded over. he doesnt attack with a strong hit, but catches opponents instead. He is not a HITS guy. And I assume the Bears are looking at the tape too, and from my point of view, seeing the same things.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I've been watching all 22 film, and I gotta say I do not like Skoronski at all. There are a bunch of OTs I like better than him.

I realize that this is counter to the prevailing narrative right now in the media, so i expect it will sound stupid to most of you, but I'm watching the tape, and I don't see the explosion in his blocks. He is often in bad position, and cant absorb his opponent's energy, getting pushed back or folded over. he doesnt attack with a strong hit, but catches opponents instead. He is not a HITS guy. And I assume the Bears are looking at the tape too, and from my point of view, seeing the same things.

From the perspective of a former offensive lineman; this is a close second to the time Jason tried to convince us that we needed Terrell Owens.  (On the hell no scale that is)  I couldn't disagree more.

You can  see a lot of videos that just show good plays that proves their opinion or a video like this that clearly wants to show you reasons to not like him. I trust some of the experts that looked at hours of tape and their opinion. I think they try him at RT, let the year play out and go from there. If Poles has a problem with the length then they will choose someone else.Jenkins has some health questions, so if he struggles, Skoronski is our pro Bowl LG of the future, if not, Poles will figure it out. Skoronski as a RT has to be better than the other options we have now. Jenkins still has a question mark behind his name, we will have to see it play out.

Rumors dropped in the last 24 he that the Steelers want to trade up to 9 for Jalen Carter if he’s there.  Rumors also indicate the Bears are all in on Carter.  

Nobody gives away their trade target a week before the draft.  That whole scenario for Carter is just too convenient.   If anything about them moving up is true I’m thinking Steelers are after an OT but they might also want the top CB in the draft.