Preseason Game 1 - Bears vs Titans

adam

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a cutup from practice where Eberflus was reminding Velus, who was having trouble remembering it, that the ball drifts (or spins Im not sure which he was talking about) right off of a right footed kicker and left off of a left footed kicker. How do you get to this point in your career and still not be able to remember that?

VJ can go play Madden with Mustipher.

41 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Muistipher is on a team, dont remember who signed him. If they cut V Jones, he will get picked up quickly, speed attracts attention.

Yeah, but if he can't catch or hold onto the ball, his speed is irrelevant. There have been a ton of burners that couldn't catch, and they didn't last long.

54 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, but if he can't catch or hold onto the ball, his speed is irrelevant. There have been a ton of burners that couldn't catch, and they didn't last long.

I didn't see the entire game but did get the first half and some of the 4th quarter.  Velus' muffed the punt after the ball bounced very high and he tried to catch it.  Defensive player saw him lining up under it and timed the hit perfectly.  Very poor decision but not dropped catch like we saw last year.  

My impressions:

Offense - all the work on the screen game is paying off.  DJ made a great read on the defenders but the blocking is what made me feel good about the play.   It's one thing to have a good short game but if that's all you have (i.e. Crowton) defenses will eat it up.  We have enough speed and the QB to have a good long game.  Those two will compliment each other and make it easy for Getsy to adapt to what a defense chooses to take away. 

I still don't like PJ Walker.  

Defense - looked much stronger in run defense.  There were still some gaps but we weren't always  getting pushed back off the LOS.  Big Dex is strong and I rewatched several plays and he is not the last man off the snap.  We can all forget about that draft day concern.  On his sack he got between the LT and LG.  Both tried to push him and it didn't slow him down one bit.  Pickens didn't have any splash plays but seemed at least solid in holding his ground on most plays. 

DBs looked good once they settled in.  Drop Tremaine Edmunds in the middle of that group and we should be good in coverage.  Kyler Gordon is going to have a good year.  He's seeing it and he's feeling it. 

Late game - I didn't see Roschon much.  Travis Bell is a short stout player.  No length so can't see him doing much in the league against starters but as a practice squad guy you need to call up in a pinch he'll give you good effort.  Maybe with a year in the strength program he'll be able to better use his underneath leverage to his advantage.  

5 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

On his sack he got between the LT and LG.  Both tried to push him and it didn't slow him down one bit.  Pickens didn't have any splash plays but seemed at least solid in holding his ground on most plays.

Good summary with one correction.  Pickens got the sack you credited Dexter with.

Fields - 129 yds 2 TDs in 2 series.  I don't think 200 yds a game is out of reach ?

WR- Velus Jones and Tyler Scott - they must have small hands?  Both are supposed to be electrifying but have to get glue on those hands.  Cannot wait to see Claypool and Moore together and Getsy stretching the field some.  Might want to keep that wrapped up for GB.

LB - the Bears have a lot of talent top to bottom here. 

RB- I think Herbert is making a case to lead the pack.  I'd like to see Roschon get some reps with the 1st team to see how he looks with better talent.  

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Good summary with one correction.  Pickens got the sack you credited Dexter with.

Cool.  That's what happens when you're watching a football game and a zoom call for a grandkids birthday party at the same time.  

I have to mention how much I enjoyed watching the Panthers getting spanked by the Jets. I know it's preseason and not a true barometer of the upcoming season, but to see B. Young go 4/6 for 21 yards, with happy feet (he got hit pretty hard a couple of times behind an OL that reminded me of the Bears' OL last year) was a nice treat after watching the Bears. Let's hope the Panthers continue playing like that so we can see what Poles could get for the first pick of the 2024 draft that is suppose to be a strong QB/WR crop.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I have to mention how much I enjoyed watching the Panthers getting spanked by the Jets. I know it's preseason and not a true barometer of the upcoming season, but to see B. Young go 4/6 for 21 yards, with happy feet (he got hit pretty hard a couple of times behind an OL that reminded me of the Bears' OL last year) was a nice treat after watching the Bears. Let's hope the Panthers continue playing like that so we can see what Poles could get for the first pick of the 2024 draft that is suppose to be a strong QB/WR crop.

I was literally laughing my ass off for a bit there with that game. The Panthers looked terrible and had something like 10-12 plays total on offense in the first half. 

Bryce Young may end up being good, but man he looks tiny and was getting smashed against Jets 2nd stringers. I don't know, I was not impressed with any of the rookie 1st round QBs (Young, Stroud, Richardson). Again it is early, but they seem to have a long way to go with not much high end skill position players on those teams. 

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

Amen!

I watched the first quarter in slo mo to see more closely who did what in the trenches.   On both TD plays our Oline was the key  blocking 10,20, and even 30 yards downfield.  You knew that from the game replay but none of them looked lost in space. Usually you’ll see linemen lunging at the little guys or just falling on their face.  They covered ground quickly but broke  down and stayed under control as their target approached while Herbert or  Moore helped setup their angles from behind.  On the first one Whitehair was able to get out in front and then do a 180 and block off Dline chasing it down from behind.  I’d say the entire line bought into the conditioning expectations this off-season.  

Darnell Wright looked good in his first action.  It looked like a Carter was the one struggling the most although Braxton Jones gave up one run stop (right before Hebert TD).  Tev buried a LB on the same play.   Would have been a huge hole if Jones didn’t give up his inside shoulder.  

Dom Rob is a different player this year.   He’s able to shed blocks and made one of the big stops at the goal line.  

Billings needs larger numbers on his jersey.  He is wide enough to properly have a 3 digit number   On one of the goal line stops he didn’t make the tackle but he hit the RG so hard he quickly walked him  two yards backward.  That power showed up on several plays.  

A few folks showed up today with film breakdowns.  The Football Scout had the All-22 view just for the first team offense and I think that's the best way to watch what happens.   Not bad at all for first contact with another team.  Carter looks good, definitely missed one assignment that led to no-gain play but otherwise he belongs on the field.   

Last year Braxton Jones had a bad habit of opening up his hips to far to pass rushers.  You'll see him do that here but he does two quick kick steps and recovers.  Ideally he should avoid getting into that  position but last year when he got that far out of position he couldn't recover and gave up the pressure on Fields. 

Darnell Wright appeared to be in control of his blocks.