Offensive Skill Player Comparison (NFC North)

adam

Here is a listing of the QB, top 2 RB, top 3 WR, and top 2 TEs for the NFC North. The Bears don't have a top end guy like Jefferson, Aaron Jones, or Hockenson, but the Bears floor is higher than any other group. Arguably, Tonyan is the worst Bear in that group, but is better than any other TE2 on the list. 

Fields, Herbert, Foreman, Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Kmet, Tonyan
Goff, Gibbs, Montgomery, St. Brown, Williams, Jones, LaPorta, Wright
Love, Jones, Dillon, Watson, Doubs, Reed, Musgrave, Kraft
Cousins, Mattison, Chandler, Jefferson, Addison, Osborn, Hockenson, Oliver

If you break it down by position, Fields is probably #2 after Cousins if he doesn't improve. Goff is a close 3rd, followed by Love, who is still a huge unknown. 

For RBs, probably Jones first, then followed by Herbert and Foreman. Gibbs may be up there, but he is an unknown. Mattison never surpassed Cook when he was there and is only RB1 because Cook is gone.

For WRs, Jefferson is the only one better than Moore, St. Brown 3rd, followed by Watson. However, after that, Mooney and Claypool are the most established WRs. Marvin Jones? KJ Osborn? Mooney and Claypool are better than them.

Then for TEs, after Hockenson, it is Kmet then Tonyan. Rookie TEs normally struggle in their first year, so guys like Musgrave, LaPorta, and Kraft are just names at this point.

Thoughts? What roster would you rather have?

1 hour ago, adam said:

Thoughts? What roster would you rather have?

I like (and prefer) where our skill players are at right now. I'm a strong believer in Fields and how well this offense succeeds will rely heavily on how well he does overall.  

My two main concerns are with Herbert as the #1 and the oline.  I think he's (Herbert) a better back that Montgomery but not sure on his durability.  In steps Foreman and Johnson who I think can sustain more punishing direct contact runs.  Foreman has already proven his ability with 900 yards last year and averaging at least 4.2 yards a carry since he came into the league in 2017.  Johnson is a bit fresher (being a rookie) but also as the backup to Robinson while at Texas.  I find it interesting that both Johnson and Foreman are Texas Alums. Usually known for the hard nose style of play.

The concern I have with the line is the uncertainty of its members.  For one I don't know who'll  be staring where across the front five.  I know Jones and Wright will be at the ends but who will be along the interior?  Is Nate Davis going to show up and actually play?  Will Patrick, Whitehair or new guy Feeney play Center?  And who will be the other Guard assuming Davis shows up?  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I like (and prefer) where our skill players are at right now. I'm a strong believer in Fields and how well this offense succeeds will rely heavily on how well he does overall.  

My two main concerns are with Herbert as the #1 and the oline.  I think he's (Herbert) a better back that Montgomery but not sure on his durability.  In steps Foreman and Johnson who I think can sustain more punishing direct contact runs.  Foreman has already proven his ability with 900 yards last year and averaging at least 4.2 yards a carry since he came into the league in 2017.  Johnson is a bit fresher (being a rookie) but also as the backup to Robinson while at Texas.  I find it interesting that both Johnson and Foreman are Texas Alums. Usually known for the hard nose style of play.

The concern I have with the line is the uncertainty of its members.  For one I don't know who'll  be staring where across the front five.  I know Jones and Wright will be at the ends but who will be along the interior?  Is Nate Davis going to show up and actually play?  Will Patrick, Whitehair or new guy Feeney play Center?  And who will be the other Guard assuming Davis shows up?  

The Bears may have the best RBBC in the NFL. There is not much drop off from Herbert to Foreman to Johnson. I expect some big chunk yard runs in the 4th quarter when the defenses are wearing down and Johnson has fresh legs.

The O-Line is a concern, which is crazy to think but Poles counted on Jenkins and Patrick being healthy when they have shown they can't be. With Whitehair back at LG, assuming Feeney plays Center, where does Jenkins go when he comes back in 4-5 weeks? Do they bench Whitehair? Move him back to Center? It is going to be interesting. 

26 minutes ago, adam said:

where does Jenkins go when he comes back in 4-5 weeks? Do they bench Whitehair? Move him back to Center? It is going to be interesting. 

He can stay on the bench until someone gets injured.  That may open his eyes a little further than two years ago did.  I'm not his doctor, but if there is a chance that him being hurt plays into his conditioning, maybe he'll take it more seriously.  If he is putting in the needed work and it's simply injury prone, time to move on.

4 hours ago, adam said:

The Bears may have the best RBBC in the NFL. There is not much drop off from Herbert to Foreman to Johnson. I expect some big chunk yard runs in the 4th quarter when the defenses are wearing down and Johnson has fresh legs.

The O-Line is a concern, which is crazy to think but Poles counted on Jenkins and Patrick being healthy when they have shown they can't be. With Whitehair back at LG, assuming Feeney plays Center, where does Jenkins go when he comes back in 4-5 weeks? Do they bench Whitehair? Move him back to Center? It is going to be interesting. 

Whitehair depends if his snapping hand heals.  My gut tells me he has a fractured finger and playing C is out.  Playing LG he can club wrap the hand, but banging on other big bodies might hurt the healing process. Typical healing time is 4-6 weeks, so it might be healed by the opener.  Feeney and Patrick IMO are week 1 options at C.  Patrick knows the system, so he should start and Feeney is the backup LG/C.  You want Feeney to be ready in case either Whitehair or Patrick go down.  That is safer than Patrick going in if Whitehair gets hurt.  By week 4, you get Jenkins back and the Bears should know who to keep by then between Patrick/Feeney. 

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

He's also being paid like 13 Million or something this year. i think Whitehair is on his way out of Chicago after this year. At least at those numbers.

It's not just contract value, Whitehair's performance is starting to drop as well and the injury bug.  

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's not just contract value, Whitehair's performance is starting to drop as well and the injury bug.  

Oh i totally agree. I even just said that I think Feeney is already better.

But where you might keep him around as a backup, with those kind of numbers, hes out the door even faster.