Flus and Getsy on the hot seat?

adam

So this is Year 2 for them. They seemed to get a pass for last year, but the record is the record, and Flus is the losing coach in franchise history right now (3-14). Assuming the Bears don't go 14-3, he is going to need a few winning seasons just to get to .500 as a coach. So if the Bears have another losing season, say 7-10, and he goes to 10-24 in his career, does he get a Year 3?

For Getsy, the offense has not looked good, they brought in more of his guys (now have Patrick, ESB, Tonyan, and Lewis), added a first round tackle, a true WR1, and made the midseason trade for Claypool (WR2/3). They also cast off Mustipher. So if the offense struggles again, is it Fields or is it Getsy? Watching the QB School videos, there have been some questions about the play design and play calls. So we will see. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but last year Getsy was a potential HC candidate in the waiting, but I haven't heard much about that this offseason.

So for both of them, and probably Alan Williams too (32nd ranked defense), what do the Bears need to do for them to keep their jobs, and what is a fireable offense after this season?

For me, Flus is safe at 8 wins (5 win improvement is a lot), but he is on the hot seat with 6-7, and fired by Week 17 with 5 or less wins.

Getsy needs to get this offense going, scoring more than 20 pts a game, and becoming a top 20 unit. Anything less and he should be sent packing (get it :)

Williams with Flus have combined to create the worst defense in franchise history, as defensive coaches, that is bad. They need to get this unit out of the cellar and make it no worse than 25th or Williams should be jettisoned to the moon.

I think Getsy did a good job with no weapons, no line, and therefore a large part of his playbook unavailable to him.

Despite all that, we led the league in rushing.

Of course if our numbers look like last year this year, then any and all of them could be fired. But i dont see anything from last year that tells me that is likely at all.

I think we will be liking Getsy and Flus a lot this year.

I'm actually less sold on Williams. But he had his hands tied behind his back too last year, so let's see what he's got.

To answer the question directly - if we get 7 wins I dont think Flus or Getsy is fired. Of course it depends on how they get there. If they lose the locker room, or make stupid mistakes, that might be a reason to be fired, but if they get 7 wins and do a decent job with the team management, I dont think they are in the hot seat at all going into year 3.

This what-if scenario is not even worth focusing on for me.  I'm only working on one thing:  How to win football games.  I hope they're doing the same.  If we end up with 2 top 5 picks in the draft (thank you Carolina) I'm pretty sure we're getting new coaches.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

This what-if scenario is not even worth focusing on for me.  I'm only working on one thing:  How to win football games.  I hope they're doing the same.  If we end up with 2 top 5 picks in the draft (thank you Carolina) I'm pretty sure we're getting new coaches.  

and a new QB named Caleb :)

4 hours ago, adam said:

So this is Year 2 for them. They seemed to get a pass for last year, but the record is the record, and Flus is the losing coach in franchise history right now (3-14). Assuming the Bears don't go 14-3, he is going to need a few winning seasons just to get to .500 as a coach. So if the Bears have another losing season, say 7-10, and he goes to 10-24 in his career, does he get a Year 3?

For Getsy, the offense has not looked good, they brought in more of his guys (now have Patrick, ESB, Tonyan, and Lewis), added a first round tackle, a true WR1, and made the midseason trade for Claypool (WR2/3). They also cast off Mustipher. So if the offense struggles again, is it Fields or is it Getsy? Watching the QB School videos, there have been some questions about the play design and play calls. So we will see. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but last year Getsy was a potential HC candidate in the waiting, but I haven't heard much about that this offseason.

So for both of them, and probably Alan Williams too (32nd ranked defense), what do the Bears need to do for them to keep their jobs, and what is a fireable offense after this season?

For me, Flus is safe at 8 wins (5 win improvement is a lot), but he is on the hot seat with 6-7, and fired by Week 17 with 5 or less wins.

Getsy needs to get this offense going, scoring more than 20 pts a game, and becoming a top 20 unit. Anything less and he should be sent packing (get it :)

Williams with Flus have combined to create the worst defense in franchise history, as defensive coaches, that is bad. They need to get this unit out of the cellar and make it no worse than 25th or Williams should be jettisoned to the moon.

I’ll be honest - I am not giving fields another oc, unless it’s because he kicked so much butt that Getsy is now a head coach. 

I do think If they win 7 games, Flus is probably back - might be fields isn’t back. I guess the exception would be if they went like 7-2 and than completely flopped down the stretch (for some reason other than your all pro qb went down). 

And I caveat - I am going to try and not overreact on first few weeks - but by middle of the season I better see a lot of improvement from Fields. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I’ll be honest - I am not giving fields another oc, unless it’s because he kicked so much butt that Getsy is now a head coach. 

I do think If they win 7 games, Flus is probably back - might be fields isn’t back. I guess the exception would be if they went like 7-2 and than completely flopped down the stretch (for some reason other than your all pro qb went down). 

And I caveat - I am going to try and not overreact on first few weeks - but by middle of the season I better see a lot of improvement from Fields. 

I think this is all very reasonable. Poles knows he has two first rounders next year, and Fields has not yet proven it on the field.

Now Im sure you agree that doesnt mean he wont. We all know he no protection, and no receivers open to throw to. But a terrible QB would also have looked as bad with no blocking or WRs, so while it's a fair excuse, it doesnt say anything about where Fields is if he gets those things.

Im rooting for Fields, I want him to blow up into a real top 5 QB. I think that is very possible for him. But Im with you, until we see it, it hasnt happened.

And I also applaud your patience knowing that it might not be right out of the gate.

But come December we will know a lot about this. And for now, you're not wrong to say that he hasnt proven it yet. Im sure somewhere Poles agrees with you 100%.

The odds of them bombing this year is slim. Low end  7 win season wont do it because of the youth of the team. Only if Fields gets hurt will we be lower than that. Poles is building thru the draft and next year would be the judgement year. With the worst roster in the league we were competitive in 13 of those games. If the ball bounced differently  for 5 or 6 wins, they would be praising Flus.           Poles traded his best players on D away so he wont hold that against him. 

I am just saying, I think that Flus, Getsy, and Williams with Fields, Claypool, Mooney, and Johnson, all seem like players and coaches that will be the most impacted by this year's outcome. A really bad season, and I think most of them are gone. A really good season, and you may see Getsy leave or a HC position, but the team will extend most of the players. 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Fields is the hot seat.

Very true. I just wonder if Poles will keep Flus or Getsy if they Bears go 5-12 and Fields does not improve? Poles has an easier answer for Fields, play good, we draft more around you, play bad or don't improve, draft a QB and try to trade you to a team that thinks they can fix you.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Very true. I just wonder if Poles will keep Flus or Getsy if they Bears go 5-12 and Fields does not improve? Poles has an easier answer for Fields, play good, we draft more around you, play bad or don't improve, draft a QB and try to trade you to a team that thinks they can fix you.

I think Flus and Poles are safe regardless of Fields.  You can't develop what can't be developed.

10 hours ago, adam said:

I am just saying, I think that Flus, Getsy, and Williams with Fields, Claypool, Mooney, and Johnson, all seem like players and coaches that will be the most impacted by this year's outcome. A really bad season, and I think most of them are gone. A really good season, and you may see Getsy leave or a HC position, but the team will extend most of the players. 

I think this is right. I like what I've seen of Flus. I think the coordinators and the players you mentioned are more at risk / in play.

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think I am saying no way we have a terrible season. We will win 7 to 11 games, Fields will have a breakout season and Getsy will leave for a HC job. 

The worst outcome is 6-7 wins where Fields is OK. Then what? The team improved by 3-4 games, Fields was slightly better average 175 passing yards a game. Would that be enough? 

I think Fields needs to definitively show that he is the guy, and it starts on Sunday. Beat the Packers handily, show the world you are light years ahead of Jordan Love.

5 hours ago, adam said:

The worst outcome is 6-7 wins where Fields is OK. Then what? The team improved by 3-4 games, Fields was slightly better average 175 passing yards a game. Would that be enough?

Exactly. One of the biggest problems with the McCaskey era is that they held on to mediocrity. This isnt about getting rid of terrible players, it has to become about getting rid of players who arent great at key positions.

The goal is not to be a sustainably average / decent team. The goal is to be the best team. And that requires different thinking.

We've put players around Fields, and now he must show who he is.

Unfortunately, I don't see Poles firing his guy unless the season completely goes off the rails again. Less than 6 wins would probably do it. 

This team doesn't do anything well, and I'm still waiting for his brilliant cover 2 defense to show up at some point during his coaching tenure. It's never a good sign when a coach can't get his side of the ball to function at all. The Bears weren't just bad last year, they were the 32nd ranked defense in football and won just 3 games. I get there is a talent deficiency up front, but you'd like to think that if you hired a defensive minded coach, he'd be able to mitigate some of that with coaching. Vic Fangio took a defense with Pernell Mcphee and nobody else and made them average by year 2. It's only one game in to year 2 for Eberflus, but this was the absolute worst possible performance you could have expected for a week 1 matchup in a game you absolutely had to have, and they got absolutely railroaded by a guy making his 2nd career start on the road. 

8 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see Poles firing his guy unless the season completely goes off the rails again. Less than 6 wins would probably do it. 

This team doesn't do anything well, and I'm still waiting for his brilliant cover 2 defense to show up at some point during his coaching tenure. It's never a good sign when a coach can't get his side of the ball to function at all. The Bears weren't just bad last year, they were the 32nd ranked defense in football and won just 3 games. I get there is a talent deficiency up front, but you'd like to think that if you hired a defensive minded coach, he'd be able to mitigate some of that with coaching. Vic Fangio took a defense with Pernell Mcphee and nobody else and made them average by year 2. It's only one game in to year 2 for Eberflus, but this was the absolute worst possible performance you could have expected for a week 1 matchup in a game you absolutely had to have, and they got absolutely railroaded by a guy making his 2nd career start on the road. 

What if they start 0-9?  Next week is in TB, who beat MIN. Then KC, that's 0-3. Then @WAS and vs MIN. Could be 0-5. The 10th game is vs Carolina. That and ARZ are the only two games on the schedule that look winnable now with this team.

15 minutes ago, adam said:

What if they start 0-9?  Next week is in TB, who beat MIN. Then KC, that's 0-3. Then @WAS and vs MIN. Could be 0-5. The 10th game is vs Carolina. That and ARZ are the only two games on the schedule that look winnable now with this team.

I don't think the Bears have ever fired a coach in the middle of a season, but starting 0-9 would mean they would have lost, what, 19 games in a row? I don't see how any coach survives that.

It's hard for me to see them being that bad, but you hate to think where the team morale would be if they lose next week with KC coming up after that. You'd be staring 0-3 right in the face wondering if your season is already over less than a month into the season.

30 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I don't think the Bears have ever fired a coach in the middle of a season, but starting 0-9 would mean they would have lost, what, 19 games in a row? I don't see how any coach survives that.

It's hard for me to see them being that bad, but you hate to think where the team morale would be if they lose next week with KC coming up after that. You'd be staring 0-3 right in the face wondering if your season is already over less than a month into the season.

I still expect them to be 2-2 heading into Thursday night football against Washington. 

Win next week

Loss to Chiefs

Win Vs Broncos 

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

That's the thing, we are at 11 in a row right now. Do you let it get past 17? That is an entire seasons worth of games. I think they would have to fire someone by 15.

33 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I still expect them to be 2-2 heading into Thursday night football against Washington. 

Win next week

Loss to Chiefs

Win Vs Broncos 

TB just beat MIN in MIN. Do you really think the Bears can travel to TB and beat them? Evans and Godwin are light years better than Doubs and Reed. If the same team shows up that did today, we are 0-4 after 4 easily. 

22 minutes ago, adam said:

TB just beat MIN in MIN. Do you really think the Bears can travel to TB and beat them? Evans and Godwin are light years better than Doubs and Reed. If the same team shows up that did today, we are 0-4 after 4 easily. 

I’m with DBDB on this one.  I have a hard time believing the Bears will string together another performance like they did today. The Vikings beat themselves today and the Bucs did just enough to eke out a win. They didn’t really have any eye popping stats 

The Ghost of Gary Crowton haunts this team. Scientifically, we have to admit that Bears uniforms cannot execute bubble screens, no matter what year it is and who the players are. We've had so many coaches come in here thinking they are gonna outsmart other NFL professionals. Ugh.

We need to be able to execute identity plays. Even when the defense knows it's coming. Stop trying to trick people, and have a running game that dominates physically and with better technique. We dont need to reinvent football with the TE sneak, and the bubble screens etc. Cant we have some organizational knowledge? Cant we learn from the last groups of coaches that already tried the exact same thing?

Seriously, you revamp your RB room at least 3 deep, you spend cap and draft capital to shore up the right side of the OL. If you need 3rd and 1, freakin run power to the right side.

And in the press conference afterwards Eberflus is still saying going for it on 4th and 1 there was a high percentage bet.

OK coach. I'll tell ya what. I'll bet you cant roll a 1 thru a 4  on a 6 sided dice, and you can bet your house and Ill give you $1 if you win. Its a good bet. It pays off 2/3 of the time. Dont see the underlying problem? That was just wrong. 2 more like that, and youre fired midseason. You can try a lot of things, but that was just wrong.