Bears redo 2024

Stinger226

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Nobody is giving up anything of value for Fields.

unless more than one team wants him, but yes, at this point, he isnt worth much. he needed to stack a few more games to increase his value.

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Why trade him if he brings no value? He still has a chance to play at least 5 games. That may up his value.

yeah i dont think they are trading him now, just like they arent firing Eberflus now, but i think we are talking about after the season is over. You're totally right that he could come back and play well in a few games and increase his trade value.

But if you pick a QB that you want to be your starter, you gotta trade or cut Fields - having them both around would be a recipe for trouble.

11 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Nobody is giving up anything of value for Fields.

He has value, he is still in his 3rd year, a team trading for him gets at least 2 more years on a rookie deal. SF got a 4th for Lance, and the gap between him and Fields is huge. Fields would at least get a 3rd, if not more. 

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Why trade him if he brings no value? He still has a chance to play at least 5 games. That may up his value.

The bigger question is does Fields' camp want to play more in this situation? So come back, probably not 100% on a 1-9 team to get beat up some more and put more bad tape out there? There is absolutely no reason to rush back unless this team somehow won 3 or 4 in a row, and if they did that without him, why would they want him back?

3 hours ago, adam said:

He has value, he is still in his 3rd year, a team trading for him gets at least 2 more years on a rookie deal. SF got a 4th for Lance, and the gap between him and Fields is huge. Fields would at least get a 3rd, if not more. 

He definitely has value.  I'm going to make a bold statement and say he's better than Lamar Jackson right now.  Lamar has lost a step and can't throw like Justin.  Lamar benefits from a far superior OL, TE and scheme.  Lamar can also put up 18 points and win.  Oh wait, that was Justin Tucker's 6 field goals.  Someone will give us a second rounder, at minimum.

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah i dont think they are trading him now, just like they arent firing Eberflus now, but i think we are talking about after the season is over. You're totally right that he could come back and play well in a few games and increase his trade value.

But if you pick a QB that you want to be your starter, you gotta trade or cut Fields - having them both around would be a recipe for trouble.

I think no matter how much I wanted Fields to succeed, I think the injury has sealed his fate. If he balls out when he comes back it will only increase his trade value. Poles is looking at the future of the team and just wont have enough trust in Fields to not look at the 50 mil he would have to pay him in the 2025. I wish it was different but I think Poles will make us a winner , it just will be 2024 or 25. A new coach will have input in who is QB, will he love Fields or a rookie? His best decision may be to tailor an offense to make Fields the best he can be instead of going thru the growing   pains of a rookie. Lots of questions going forward.

Time to start figuring out 2024. 

resign: Andrew Billings 2.6 mil this year/ 3 year at 16 mil. ( 28 years old)

Mooney- the top 25 WRs are making over 10 mil, 3 years at 31 mil

J   Johnson-the top 21 are making over   10 mil a year, 3 years at 35 mil

G Stroman- 1 year 1.2 mil

R Tonyan-2.6 this year, 1 year at 3 mil

Cancel Whitehair pre June---4 mil dead money-9.1 mil cap savings

Cancel EJAC post June --3.9 mil dead money-14.31 mil savings

Total cap after adds and subtraction 103 mil est.

Next up will be free agency.

Anyone have a PFF sub.? Its not the best tool but gives some perspective on value.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Time to start figuring out 2024. 

resign: Andrew Billings 2.6 mil this year/ 3 year at 16 mil. ( 28 years old)

Mooney- the top 25 WRs are making over 10 mil, 3 years at 31 mil

J   Johnson-the top 21 are making over   10 mil a year, 3 years at 35 mil

G Stroman- 1 year 1.2 mil

R Tonyan-2.6 this year, 1 year at 3 mil

Cancel Whitehair pre June---4 mil dead money-9.1 mil cap savings

Cancel EJAC post June --3.9 mil dead money-14.31 mil savings

Total cap after adds and subtraction 103 mil est.

Next up will be free agency.

Anyone have a PFF sub.? Its not the best tool but gives some perspective on value.

I like all the moves you made.(that's if we don't trade some pieces again)  With 103mil in cap space, we have to sign the best edge player we can get.  Tee Higgins would also be a good get.  Via the draft, gotta go QB, OT, edge, center and WR.  If we trade the number two pick and Fields, we should be able easily address that in the first two rounds.  BPA for the rest....

11 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like all the moves you made.(that's if we don't trade some pieces again)  With 103mil in cap space, we have to sign the best edge player we can get.  Tee Higgins would also be a good get.  Via the draft, gotta go QB, OT, edge, center and WR.  If we trade the number two pick and Fields, we should be able easily address that in the first two rounds.  BPA for the rest....

If you go rookie contract - than I think paying Tee Higgins and an Edge (and potentially a Center) would be wise choices.  Than you go QB, grab another TE (maybe even a generational type of talent in Brockers), Oline and more edge / safety help.  

what I see as our biggest needs going into 2024 is keep building the OL and DL. The QB situation will work itself out. We will have 2 high picks this year and because I think he trades one or both , mullite picks in 2025. 

People say there are generational QBs in this draft, maybe. I remember when Mahomes was drafted, almost no one rated him # 1 let alone a generational QB. QBs are a shot in the dark , rarely do they judge them right. 

Just imagine if we ended up trading both draft picks and ended up with Harrison, Bowers, Fashanu, Alt, Verse or Turner. Or any combinations of them, a QB prospect plus multi 1 st round picks in the future. Hurts was a 2nd round pick, Jackson was the last pick of the first round in 2018, not all of the good QBs are taken at the top of the draft. 

Lets let the QB situation play out, what do we need in FAgency or the draft. 

Edge rusher, LT (if Jones stays injured), FS ( expect Jackson to be cut), more depth on OL, new OC ( I expect Whitehair to get cut)). More DL prospects.