Snake Bitten...

Mongo3451

My question to all of you is this: is this the most snake bitten season the Bears have ever had?

If you think of what we talked about the entire off season, the consensus would say, it's the year off Justin.  What we never discussed is the litany of injuries this team has had.  Drill that down to the OL and we can say that we've not seen the projected starting five all season.

Other than the Charles Martin slaughter of Jim McMahon, I have not seen such carnage on the injury report.

Jackson, Brisker, Gordon, Edmonds, Engakque, Johnson, Fields, Jones, Whitehair, Jenkins, Wright, Herbert, St Brown, Claypool, Davis, Feeney, Homer, Smith, Kramer, Lewis and Mooney.  Did I miss anyone?

I think some credit is due, if only a little, for Eberflus to field any semblance of a defense and for them to play as well as they have as of late.  Not only with a majority of his starters missing significant time but also losing his DC early in the season.  It doesn’t necessarily translate to a great HC but does say something about coaching up his depth players on that side of the ball.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think some credit is due, if only a little, for Eberflus to field any semblance of a defense and for them to play as well as they have as of late.  Not only with a majority of his starters missing significant time but also losing his DC early in the season.  It doesn’t necessarily translate to a great HC but does say something about coaching up his depth players on that side of the ball.  

I dont hate him as a person. He seems nice. He lies when he doesn't have to, but OK.

What I can say for 100% sure that he is not a special head coach that gives your team an extra edge to win above and beyond the level of talent on the roster. And that alone is reason to get fired. You can be an average coach who is competent, and while that works in other jobs, it's not enough for an NFL coach. There are thousands of OK coaches out there. You gotta be looking for one that's special. And I can tell you that Getsy and Eberflus are not special.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

My question to all of you is this: is this the most snake bitten season the Bears have ever had?

If you think of what we talked about the entire off season, the consensus would say, it's the year off Justin.  What we never discussed is the litany of injuries this team has had.  Drill that down to the OL and we can say that we've not seen the projected starting five all season.

Other than the Charles Martin slaughter of Jim McMahon, I have not seen such carnage on the injury report.

Jackson, Brisker, Gordon, Edmonds, Engakque, Johnson, Fields, Jones, Whitehair, Jenkins, Wright, Herbert, St Brown, Claypool, Davis, Feeney, Homer, Smith, Kramer, Lewis and Mooney.  Did I miss anyone?

How do you make proper judgement calls with this many injuries?  One and a half years just isn't enough time to build up depth. Injuries are a part of every year but OL was so important to the growth of our offense it's had an effect. 3 RBs were out last week, it probably cost us a win on just that. So who plays RT if Wright is out? Pretty thin pickens for facing Crosby.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've been a Bears fan for so long there's too many snake bites to compare against.   It certainly has made some things challenging on D for sure and then Oline.     However, I think I've seen enough goodness from the Oline starters when they are on the field in their position to feel good about the starters.  I've never seen what happened to our RBs in one game and I really think it limited what we could did offensively against Minn ...mostly for the protection plan.  That still doesn't explain some of the brain freeze of the QB.  

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I've been a Bears fan for so long there's too many snake bites to compare against.   It certainly has made some things challenging on D for sure and then Oline.     However, I think I've seen enough goodness from the Oline starters when they are on the field in their position to feel good about the starters.  I've never seen what happened to our RBs in one game and I really think it limited what we could did offensively against Minn ...mostly for the protection plan.  That still doesn't explain some of the brain freeze of the QB.  

yeah the OL is starting to take shape for sure. we still need a couple players. But overall the roster is starting to fill out I agree.

We still need a top 10 QB, and there are only 10 of those in the world, and half of them are gonna be top 20 next year LOL

Injuries would be a simple excuse for Flus and Co if last year didn't happen. However, I don't know any team that plays well when half of their starters are out. We have not seen our expected 22 starters in the same game all season, someone was always out. At times half a starting unit on offense or defense was out. Most teams would be 1-5 under those conditions. This is what makes evaluations so difficult.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Injuries would be a simple excuse for Flus and Co if last year didn't happen. However, I don't know any team that plays well when half of their starters are out. We have not seen our expected 22 starters in the same game all season, someone was always out. At times half a starting unit on offense or defense was out. Most teams would be 1-5 under those conditions. This is what makes evaluations so difficult.

Injuries matter with a young team, we have to keep building the roster and hope for the best.

7 hours ago, adam said:

Some of last years starters ended up on the practice squad for other teams this year.   Some, like Quinn, are out of the NFL.