Cap Casualties

adam

It looks like this will be the end for Eddie Jackson and Cody Whitehair. Cutting them both this offseason would free up almost 22M in cap space with about $10M in dead cap. 

Jackson has been ok, but too often injured. Whitehair has been slowly degrading into a below replacement level player and you can't pay those guys $13M a year. Jackson is due $18M, there is just no way I see him on the roster next year, so the Bears will have to look for a new FS in FA or the draft. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'd try to restructure Jackson and Whitehair.  Whitehair would be a great swing guard and emergency center.  Jackson is still starting caliber when healthy.

We'll see how they finish.  Even when healthy Jackson hasn't played all that well so I think it's time to move on unless he really steps up in the last half of the season.     

Whitehair at Center ... he got replaced by Patrick quickly, and that was with a full offseason to get ready to be our starting Center.  I don't see him as a viable backup there.  Even as swing OG they moved Jenkins and put Whitehair back at LG.   If I were Poles I'd be looking at all options before restructuring Whitehair.  

5 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We'll see how they finish.  Even when healthy Jackson hasn't played all that well so I think it's time to move on unless he really steps up in the last half of the season.     

Whitehair at Center ... he got replaced by Patrick quickly, and that was with a full offseason to get ready to be our starting Center.  I don't see him as a viable backup there.  Even as swing OG they moved Jenkins and put Whitehair back at LG.   If I were Poles I'd be looking at all options before restructuring Whitehair.  

They both need to go. J Carter is our competent backup OG. Bring in a vet center and also draft one. Byron Foster in the 4th? Also we need to draft a OT to compete with Jones and the loser is the swing OT. Then our OL will be complete. You notice that Hicks isnt out there blown up all the time, competent backup.  FA and draft a rookie.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They both need to go. J Carter is our competent backup OG. Bring in a vet center and also draft one. Byron Foster in the 4th? Also we need to draft a OT to compete with Jones and the loser is the swing OT. Then our OL will be complete. You notice that Hicks isnt out there blown up all the time, competent backup.  FA and draft a rookie.

I'm in the sign a vet center like Jensen. Pay him but do it over 2-3 years and than draft someone in another year or two.  Save your draft capital for some other spots and FA center(s) aren't horrible.  

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Whitehair really pissed me off this last game with the holding penalties. Drive killers!

Whitehair is clearly done with the Bears at the end of the season. He was a good player for a long time, but unfortunately father time has caught up to him.  On the other hand - Patrick has been awful every moment he's been with this franchise. Yesterday - on a shotgun snap, he had a snap that literally never left the ground. In the superdome - how is that possible. He also glad flagged for some more penalties too.  I don't know how the Bears found it - but they literally have two of the worse centers in the entire league.  Makes you wonder how bad Kramer is that he hasn't been able to get any shot.  

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

After thinking upon it, you guys are right about Whitehair being done.  We need a center and swing tackle and that's it.

Do we know if Davis is back this week? If so than at least we have Jenkins and Davis - I guess we see who is playing center (both are bad options) and than Jones and Wright at tackle. Fingers crossed we can at least have consistency with those 4 for the rest of the season.  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Whitehair is clearly done with the Bears at the end of the season. He was a good player for a long time, but unfortunately father time has caught up to him.  On the other hand - Patrick has been awful every moment he's been with this franchise. Yesterday - on a shotgun snap, he had a snap that literally never left the ground. In the superdome - how is that possible. He also glad flagged for some more penalties too.  I don't know how the Bears found it - but they literally have two of the worse centers in the entire league.  Makes you wonder how bad Kramer is that he hasn't been able to get any shot.  

And to think Mustispher is playing well in Baltimore.  Whitehair has a bad right hand, hurt in preseason, I think he tried snapping with his left and it didn't go so well.  Maybe that is why they have him playing LG too.