Week 16 Official Game Thread - Cards at Bears (Tankathon Bowl), DEC 24th, 3:25pm, FOX, CHI -4.5, O/U 44.5

adam

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

you see on that 3rd down an unsound trick defense that predicted Fields perfectly. Ill wait for the all 22 to be sure, but there had to be someone open on that play, because it wasnt a sound defense, but they knew exactly what Fields would do, and not be able to do.

I don't like when the defense can dictate what the offense does, it should be the other way around. Getsy has no answers. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He took a pot shot.  Not cool given the last couple of weeks of in-fighting.  Nobody cares about Fields' stats.  His detractors on this board want too see him throw in rhythm and on time.  And win consistently...

His detractors want perfection.  And some use stats to make their point. A lot of times stats can be used subjectively.  Today, for example, if the Bears lean on the run game because AZ isn’t a great defense then it draws away from Fields’ opportunities to throw the ball.  

The Field supporters could make a counter argument that he hasn’t been given an ideal situation to thrive in.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

His detractors want perfection.  And some use stats to make their point. A lot of times stats can be used subjectively.  Today, for example, if the Bears lean on the run game because AZ isn’t a great defense then it draws away from Fields’ opportunities to throw the ball.  

The Field supporters could make a counter argument that he hasn’t been given an ideal situation to thrive in.  

perfection? LOL and I havent even been using stats at all - in fact Ive said Fields stats are deceptively good.

The guy just doesnt execute the plays past the scripted openers. He just doesnt. Game in and game out. Ive described it, and diagrammed it, and I hope to God the GM and Warren are seeing it too. Certainly the pundits say it too. They make an opinion about balancing the importance of it vs sheer talent, and thats a valid question, good people can authentically be on either side of that debate. But you cant say Fields is throwing in rhythm and reading the plays. He isn't. Again.

And that IS the core skill of the QB position.

Fields is an exciting player, and he can overwhelm lesser teams with his hero ball. Like this big run we just saw.

If he could just throw the ball reliably out of the pocket, all this extra stuff would make him one of the best QBs in the league.

But perfection? No. He isnt even doing it 50% of the plays where he is called to. Not even 20%.

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The guy just doesnt execute the plays past the scripted openers. He just doesnt. Game in and game out. Ive described it, and diagrammed it, and I hope to God the GM and Warren are seeing it too. Certainly the pundits say it too. They make an opinion about balancing the importance of it vs sheer talent, and thats a valid question, good people can authentically be on either side of that debate. But you cant say Fields is throwing in rhythm and reading the plays. He isn't. Again

And again we go back to players like Hurts, Jackson and Mahomes who make a career out of unconventional plays.  Yet the critique is lacking.  What’s the difference between them all? 

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I don't.  It's like political arguments these days.  People pick a side and want to win the opinion war.  Stats are so arguable.  We could spin heads forever.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And again we go back to players like Hurts, Jackson and Mahomes who make a career out of unconventional plays.  Yet the critique is lacking.  What’s the difference between them all? 

Ive said it many times.

There is NOTHING wrong with running and extra curricular stuff. In fact its an amazing bonus that really helps QBs.

The other QBs you mention can ALSO stand in the pocket, read a defense and get the ball out so that the receivers get the ball when their routes break. Thats when its supposed to arrive. That's how the plays work.

I LOVE Fields' running. I LOVE how good he is at hero ball. He is AMAZING at it. Please hear me.

But until he can ALSO do the fundamental things that are necessary to executing passing plays as they are drawn up, from the pocket, he will be able to overwhelm lesser teams and make highlights but we will never be a playoff winning team.

Please understand. Fields is AWESOME, he can do everything at a high level except execute the offense. And that's a real problem.

Those other QBs dont have that problem.