The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

? I know. Like I said, hype season has begun. Last year I was pumped up for R Johnson and thought he would be our starter by week 9. My track record for prognostication is not good. Let's hope Booker is the real deal and can contribute to our D this year.

They hype is legit this year. I know we have said that in the past, but this year really is different. A 7-win team that lost 3 games they should've won, added the best QB prospect in a decade, one of the best WR prospects in the last few years, a perennial 1K Veteran WR, a top 10 RB, and an upgrade at Safety.

All of that added to the existing team. The hype is legit.

Caleb is coming in light years ahead of Mitch and Justin. It is not even close. 

The team upgraded the coaching staff as well. This is also not a Getsy offense. 

If any team has a chance to go worst to first, it's the Bears this year, as wild as that seems. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Anyone see Pete Prisco's top 100? Having DJ Moore listed 84 may be realistic but listing  Devoo Samuel, Nico Collins, Garret Wilson ahead of him is not. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-top-100-players-of-2024-patrick-mahomes-reigns-again-myles-garrett-top-defender-in-priscos-rankings/

Prisco is a known Bears hater. He is terrible at his job. 

Jaylon is 34th and not a top 5 CB. Montez is 73rd, and Moore at 84, and that's it? Keenan Allen was a top 10 WR last year and magically he is not in the top 100 anymore? 

There has been lots of chatter about Connor Williams lately because he might be available around training camp. I dont see the Bears spending the money since they could have signed him before this and choose not to. Plus they brought in two potential starters. 

45 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There has been lots of chatter about Connor Williams lately because he might be available around training camp. I dont see the Bears spending the money since they could have signed him before this and choose not to. Plus they brought in two potential starters. 

I think it depends on a lot of factors.

If youre looking at the roster long term, and really think Connor Williams is a true stud, and dont think either of the two guys you got is a top 5 center, then you absolutely do it.

Also if Nate Davis wants to keep playing primadonna, they may be looking at Bates over there, and that increases the need for Williams too.

But I think Williams wont really be fully healed until mid season, so you wait as long as you can to sign him as prices fall this time of year, and if you can pick him up cheap, or with a contract that is mostly incentives or team options at higher prices in future years, I think you do eventually do that.

Before he was injured, a lot of people were predicting Williams would be our first free agent acquisition. Now he's hobbled, but the long term picture is still there too.

Imagine a team with guys like Booker who are a little too early, and players like Connor Williams who are gonna take a minute to get back to form, and a rookie QB and WR - it's like planting seeds that will grow to significantly enhance your roster as time goes on. If they all hit, you're sitting strong having paid a bargain.

I just read an article on NFL.com. It explains why the new kickoff rules will have a major impact far beyond what many realize. To support this, they gave the following historical data:

In 2010, the season prior to the first major rule change in this era, there were 2,033 kickoffs returned and 23 touchdowns. The following season, those numbers fell to 1,375 and nine, respectively. From 2018 to 2022, the league totals for those seasons averaged out to roughly 1,000 kickoff returns and seven TDs. And last season, they fell off a cliff with a mere 587 returns and four TDs.

So kickoff returns decreased from 2033 KO returns to 587, with KO TDs down from 23 to 4.

There are so many reasons I am looking forward to this year's games. This is one of many, in addition to watching the new vastly improved Bears kick GB's smelly ass.

8 hours ago, Pixote said:

I just read an article on NFL.com. It explains why the new kickoff rules will have a major impact far beyond what many realize. To support this, they gave the following historical data:

So kickoff returns decreased from 2033 KO returns to 587, with KO TDs down from 23 to 4.

There are so many reasons I am looking forward to this year's games. This is one of many, in addition to watching the new vastly improved Bears kick GB's smelly ass.

The volume sure is different, but what would you say is statistically different in terms of percentage of kickoff return TDs? 

In 2010, the KO TD rate was 1.13% and that dropped to 0.68% last season. So with all the changes, the TD difference was 0.45%.  That is one fewer TD every 223 returns. 

I would be curious how much this impacted starting LOS, because the raw returns ultimately equal yards that equal the starting LOS. So it would be interesting to see how much the starting LOS changed over time and if the kickoff changes actually impacted that, which would impact scoring (shorter field = more points). 

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

and thats without Connor Williams :)

I was expecting middle of the road, so top 12 is impressive as that was arguably the 2 worst unit behind the DL.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

I was expecting middle of the road, so top 12 is impressive as that was arguably the 2 worst unit behind the DL.

The DL, specifically our ability to pressure/hit/sack the QB, worries me.

I hope we patch things up before the season starts.

Who knows? We may already have the answers on our roster.

I don't want to gamble on that as a solution.

10 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The DL, specifically our ability to pressure/hit/sack the QB, worries me.

I hope we patch things up before the season starts.

Who knows? We may already have the answers on our roster.

I don't want to gamble on that as a solution.

I still feel like Poles thinks they are a year away from contending for a SB, which is crazy to say considering where the team was just 2 years ago. However, if he thinks that, then I think he won't risk the cap flexibility until next year. So if they add someone, it is going to be a rotation vet to go with Walker and Booker. 

I would bet that he tries to hold out until the trading deadline and if the team has a good record and looks to be a playoff team, he pulls the trigger on another trade to go for it this year.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I still feel like Poles thinks they are a year away from contending for a SB, which is crazy to say considering where the team was just 2 years ago. However, if he thinks that, then I think he won't risk the cap flexibility until next year. So if they add someone, it is going to be a rotation vet to go with Walker and Booker. 

I would bet that he tries to hold out until the trading deadline and if the team has a good record and looks to be a playoff team, he pulls the trigger on another trade to go for it this year.

You are right, but I'm always the eternal optimist. LOL

I hope we can make the playoffs and progress as far as the NFC Championship game this year. That is a lofty goal, considering we have such a young team with budding stars without playoff experience.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

You are right, but I'm always the eternal optimist. LOL

I hope we can make the playoffs and progress as far as the NFC Championship game this year. That is a lofty goal, considering we have such a young team with budding stars without playoff experience.

totally agree. I dont know how the year will start out, but I wouldnt want to put a ceiling on this team in December after a year's experience.

This feels to me like 1984, when we lost to the 49ers in the NFC Championship game.

I think we will be a good team, but we will likely need to learn a lesson about how deep you have to dig in order to win those important games against good teams. We might be playing well and just not match the energy of a more experienced team that knows how deep you have to go to get to the Superbowl?

But like I said, if things are clicking, we will certainly have the talent to go far, and if they have gelled and faced enough adversity during the year, I wouldnt necessarily put a ceiling on it.

On 6/24/2024 at 5:32 PM, BearFan PHX said:

I think it depends on a lot of factors.

If youre looking at the roster long term, and really think Connor Williams is a true stud, and dont think either of the two guys you got is a top 5 center, then you absolutely do it.

Also if Nate Davis wants to keep playing primadonna, they may be looking at Bates over there, and that increases the need for Williams too.

But I think Williams wont really be fully healed until mid season, so you wait as long as you can to sign him as prices fall this time of year, and if you can pick him up cheap, or with a contract that is mostly incentives or team options at higher prices in future years, I think you do eventually do that.

Before he was injured, a lot of people were predicting Williams would be our first free agent acquisition. Now he's hobbled, but the long term picture is still there too.

Imagine a team with guys like Booker who are a little too early, and players like Connor Williams who are gonna take a minute to get back to form, and a rookie QB and WR - it's like planting seeds that will grow to significantly enhance your roster as time goes on. If they all hit, you're sitting strong having paid a bargain.

Yes lots of things come into play. His agent was telling people that he will be ready for training camp. So the fact no one has signed him tells me, that's not true. Miami has the most information and decided yo go with a lesser talent instead of resigning him. Free agents have mixed results when moving to new teams. Now a cheap deal with prospect of future long term contract is the only way Poles signs him.

Perfect example is Nate Davis. Had high impact play , came here and you see what we got and Williams will be in that price range. There is no guaruntee he plays at the level he did before, that is projection. I would rather have Poles take cheaper options and have the results of a Andrew Billings situation  ( cheap buy, palyed well and gave him a longer contract) 

I think he projects Bates as a comer and then got Shelton as a backup plan. That is the choice he made. I dont think he is going to question his moves this early in the season. Now if something fails, he will try something different. He is not there yet.

I have been watching other inter-division podcasts and most fans are delusional. Here is a fan making a Packer post.

I’m having a really hard time w. a ceiling/comp for C9.

Romeo Doubs - Amari Cooper

Christian Watson -

Jayden Reed - Stefon Diggs

Dontayvion Wicks - Kennan Allen

Bo Melton - Jaylen Waddle

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I have been watching other inter-division podcasts and most fans are delusional. Here is a fan making a Packer post.

I’m having a really hard time w. a ceiling/comp for C9.

Romeo Doubs - Amari Cooper

Christian Watson -

Jayden Reed - Stefon Diggs

Dontayvion Wicks - Kennan Allen

Bo Melton - Jaylen Waddle

Those are all insane. None of them are even in the same tier as any of the WRs they listed as comps. Their best WR was Reed and he only had 64 rec and 793 yards. No other WR had more than 60 recs or 700 yards or in the top 50 in terms of recs or yards. 

Kmet had 73-719 and would've led GB in receptions by 9. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

The best thing for the Bears are these comps:

DJ Moore > DJ Moore
Keenan Allen > Keenan Allen
Rome Odunze > Rome Odunze

amen!

I read an interesting article on sportsmockery.com. We no longer have strong safety and free safety. Instead, we will have a right and left safety, with Byard and Brisker randomly lining up left or right. They will essentially perform both strong and free safety duties. This has been done before, with the Giants and New England, among other teams, and was very successful. It is designed to further disguise our coverage and confuse the opposing quarterback.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I read an interesting article on sportsmockery.com. We no longer have strong safety and free safety. Instead, we will have a right and left safety, with Byard and Brisker randomly lining up left or right. They will essentially perform both strong and free safety duties. This has been done before, with the Giants and New England, among other teams, and was very successful. It is designed to further disguise our coverage and confuse the opposing quarterback.

Lovie always said that his safeties were interchangeable.