The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

On 7/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, Pixote said:

I read an interesting article on sportsmockery.com. We no longer have strong safety and free safety. Instead, we will have a right and left safety, with Byard and Brisker randomly lining up left or right. They will essentially perform both strong and free safety duties. This has been done before, with the Giants and New England, among other teams, and was very successful. It is designed to further disguise our coverage and confuse the opposing quarterback.

It should be that way, and makes the defense more flexible and makes it harder for the QB to determine the coverage. With Jackson back there, it was very easy, pre-snap, to determine what the Bears were operating in (single high, cover 2, etc). Now that won't be the case. So all the divisional teams will feel that change the most, and not in a good way for them. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am finding the NYG Hard Knocks interesting. In episode one, the GM mentioned, as reported later, that they were interested in Swift as a replacement for Barkley. Episode two showed their HC doing pre-draft interviews with Caleb & Rome and their GM at the Combine, watching Rome run his 40. 

Now, I can certainly understand their interest in Rome and bringing him in for an interview. However, why would they bring in Caleb, knowing that drafting #6 in Round One, he would never be there to select? Were they considering trading up? It never mentioned why they brought him in, but it made me wonder about their thought process for doing so.

It also confirms my suspicion that the reason Poles was swift to sign Swift ? at what was considered by many above market value was to assure he was a Bear since other teams were considering making offers to his agent.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I am finding the NYG Hard Knocks interesting. In episode one, the GM mentioned, as reported later, that they were interested in Swift as a replacement for Barkley. Episode two showed their HC doing pre-draft interviews with Caleb & Rome and their GM at the Combine, watching Rome run his 40. 

Now, I can certainly understand their interest in Rome and bringing him in for an interview. However, why would they bring in Caleb, knowing that drafting #6 in Round One, he would never be there to select? Were they considering trading up? It never mentioned why they brought him in, but it made me wonder about their thought process for doing so.

It also confirms my suspicion that the reason Poles was swift to sign Swift ? at what was considered by many above market value was to assure he was a Bear since other teams were considering making offers to his agent.

I agree with all of this.

The reasons to meet Williams are:
In case he falls (not likely)
In case a trade is available
start your book on him for free agency in 4 or 5 years
scout the player

you want to go into the draft knowing everything, even if it's not likely, and you want to open your pro personnel file on the guy too

Im watching episode 2 right now and there's lots of good Caleb and Rome stuff youll love.

A few thoughts: I think Kevin Byard and D'Andre Swift are two signing that will have a big impact on this team that are undervalued.

Termaine Edmunds played well; but seems to be capable of being better. Video shows he's one of the vocal leaders of this defense.

Our two nickle defense LBers are good against the pass. They had 7 interceptions betwwen them.

I see a lot of talk on X that suggest we may be signing David Bakhtiari and or Connor Williams. That's not happening, if they sign anyone its going to be Ngakoue. Those are just media generated stories from people that dont have anything to right about. 

I think we are underestimating CWs ability to throw over 4000 yards this year. Barring injuries, I think he is closer to 5000 than 4000. I dont drink coolaid but have loads of optimism. 

I agree with you about us not signing Bakhtiari, and possibly resigning Ngokoue.

I do think there is a decent chance we sign Connor WIlliams though. Especially if we have increased concerns about Davis and need bates to fill in there.

Dont forget Williams is a true stud at center, and when you can add those kind of players, you dont let stopgaps stop you.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I see a lot of talk on X that suggest we may be signing David Bakhtiari and or Connor Williams. That's not happening, if they sign anyone its going to be Ngakoue. Those are just media generated stories from people that dont have anything to right about. 

Since this is not a Superbowl year, I'm signing Williams before Ngakue.  IMO, this year should be all about Caleb and the future before we sign a mid level, injured, journeyman EDGE rusher.  Gimme the stud center if his knee is trending better.

20 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Since this is not a Superbowl year, I'm signing Williams before Ngakue.  IMO, this year should be all about Caleb and the future before we sign a mid level, injured, journeyman EDGE rusher.  Gimme the stud center if his knee is trending better.

well reasoned. I agree that would be the move.

Of course it all depends on what they think of Bates and Connor Williams' state of health and continued ability. But from what we know now, I totally agree.

The information that Williams will be ready for training camp was an agent promotion. NO ONE has signed  him that is not by accident. I think if he is there after they look at their 2 options and  if they misjudged them, then it might happen. Im all in on upgrading our OL but I dont think Poles is going to second guess his moves before he gets to see them play some. I dont think you can make plans and count on a player 8 weeks into the season.

I dont think that signing the 2nd best C in the league would be second guessing his moves, especially when Bates can compete at guard where there are questions on both sides?

It's more a matter of when Connor will be ready, and what kind of deal he needs.

Why didnt he already sign him if that was his plan? Injury- doesnt know how that will affect his play? A lot of players never get back to where they were before an injury. Bates and Shelton both have played OG before. Pryor took snaps inside. Nate Davis is a ? but Poles has more information than we do and since he hasnt made any moves, I think Davis is going to be ready to go. 

If it was me I would just sign the best players available and not worry about money but that is not how Poles operates.

I think someone signs Williams before the season starts but doesnt end up contributing much this year.  Because of his high rating, he's not signing a 5 mil one year contract. He will get 10 mil and someone will have a game count for his money.

To mamy questions, when he will be back?

what do you have to pay him>

how will he play?

Nate Davis will be replaced?

I think he already did what he planned to do and will only add players if someone gets injured. We only have 21 mil and still havent signed the 2 #1s yet (14 mil?) plus operating capital during the season. Last year he kept 8 mil for play money.

You never sign an injured player early, because you want to be sure they come back to form, and the longer you wait the more team friendly a deal you get.

Im not predicting whether he will sign Connor Williams or not, but Im saying if he does, it's not surprising that he didnt do it yet.

I dont think signing (or not signing) Williams will be about whether Davis or Jenkins can play. It's about increasing talent to the roster. When you see a clear upgrade, if you can swing it financially you do it.

For example, if a top left offensive tackle suddenly became available on a team friendly deal for some reason, it wouldnt matter whether Braxton Jones is improving or can be a good starter this year.

So yeah, you have plans, you agreed to go to the dance with Cindy Regular, but if Brittney Cheerleaderface asks you to go after, you dump Cindy.

I mean in the real world you dont break your word of course, but in building an NFL team, you make the best moves you can and dont look back. No one is promised anything other than their contract.

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

You never sign an injured player early, because you want to be sure they come back to form, and the longer you wait the more team friendly a deal you get.

Im not predicting whether he will sign Connor Williams or not, but Im saying if he does, it's not surprising that he didnt do it yet.

I dont think signing (or not signing) Williams will be about whether Davis or Jenkins can play. It's about increasing talent to the roster. When you see a clear upgrade, if you can swing it financially you do it.

For example, if a top left offensive tackle suddenly became available on a team friendly deal for some reason, it wouldnt matter whether Braxton Jones is improving or can be a good starter this year.

So yeah, you have plans, you agreed to go to the dance with Cindy Regular, but if Brittney Cheerleaderface asks you to go after, you dump Cindy.

I mean in the real world you dont break your word of course, but in building an NFL team, you make the best moves you can and dont look back. No one is promised anything other than their contract.

Im not diagreeing with the ( get better) concept, I am just predicting Poles isnt bringing in Brittney. I think,  he thinks, Cindy is bettr than a five.

Being a bit starved for news, I searched for anything Bears-related to satisfy my hunger. I came across two "Meet the Rookies" videos—one for Rome Odunze and the other for Kiran Amegadjie. I must say, both were amazing. It will take time to discover the true extent of how their talent transitions from college to the NFL. However, one thing I am pretty sure of is that the players Poles has drafted are of exceptional character. They are intelligent, articulate, dedicated to their profession, and driven to be great. Poles has been an outstanding GM.

That said, I do wish he would add another Edge Rusher ? 

As good as our DBs are, with no pressure on the opposing QB, eventually coverage will break down. If Sweat misses time, they are toast. Even with Sweat in the lineup, a complementary piece is needed.

19 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Being a bit starved for news, I searched for anything Bears-related to satisfy my hunger. I came across two "Meet the Rookies" videos—one for Rome Odunze and the other for Kiran Amegadjie. I must say, both were amazing. It will take time to discover the true extent of how their talent transitions from college to the NFL. However, one thing I am pretty sure of is that the players Poles has drafted are of exceptional character. They are intelligent, articulate, dedicated to their profession, and driven to be great. Poles has been an outstanding GM.

As good as our DBs are, with no pressure on the opposing QB, eventually coverage will break down. If Sweat misses time, they are toast. Even with Sweat in the lineup, a complementary piece is needed.

totally agree with all of this.

Poles seems to be drafting high character guys, and he doesnt seem to have to be sacrificing anything in the talent department to do it, othert than maybe moving on past Jalen Carter. And with the way Wright played last year, it makes the point moot, because Wright is a monster.

I feel like Poles was actually trained under people and a system that understands how to do this, as opposed to some guy playing fantasy football and trying to put together a winner for each year with not enough to do it.

There seems to be a PLAN, and all the pieces are falling into place too. Good time to be a Bears fan.

12 hours ago, Pixote said:

Skill x effort is a thing. That is why if you can find guys like that, you will be in good shape because at worst, they will play to the average of their projections. However, there is a good chance because of their character, that they will exceed their projections. 

I have a feeling this entire draft is going to hit, and they will hit sooner than later. Even a guy like Booker. I could see him as a starter in Year 2, same with Amegadjie. 

Sort of Bears related, Eddie Jackson finally agreed to a deal with the Ravens:

The Ravens has the 3rd lowest cap space before this deal, so it can't be much more than a vet minimum deal.

My son had dinner with D J Moore last night. His neighbor is friends with the owner of the bar- resturatant in Byron , il. The owner does security for the Bears and booked Zach Millers band ( former TE). He invited DJ 2 months ago but never thought he would show up because training camp started. He shows up and sits at the table my son was sitting at.

No one knew he was coming , tada, he shows up. 

IMG_20240721_154653.jpg

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

My son had dinner with D J Moore last night. His neighbor is friends with the owner of the bar- resturatant in Byron , il. The owner does security for the Bears and booked Zach Millers band ( former TE). He invited DJ 2 months ago but never thought he would show up because training camp started. He shows up and sits at the table my son was sitting at.

IMG_20240721_154653.jpg

COOL!!!

19 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

IMG_20240721_154653.jpg

Very Cool

21 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

IMG_20240721_154653.jpg

yeah thats awesome!
Did he tell you anything about DJs attitude, was he nice (I assume so!)
did DJ say anything interesting about Caleb or anyone?

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah thats awesome!
Did he tell you anything about DJs attitude, was he nice (I assume so!)
did DJ say anything interesting about Caleb or anyone?

From all accounts, DJ is a cool cat. Just the fact that he was there and just hanging out like a normal dude is pretty cool.