The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Because he sucked a** at the start of the season and only began to "shine" the second half of the season, he then blew away Dallas in the playoffs and returned to suck against SF.

So he was a Jekyll and Hyde QB last year.

ah! I thought maybe he had been injured and missed some games. Thank you!

Nothing like spending $220 Million on a guy that's inconsistent...

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Because he sucked a** at the start of the season and only began to "shine" the second half of the season, he then blew away Dallas in the playoffs and returned to suck against SF.

So he was a Jekyll and Hyde QB last year.

Bingo. I believe they started 3-6 and Love was terrible. Then, to me, he got lucky. I can't tell you how many times he just lofted a ball 30 yards downfield to a wide open receiver. On almost all those plays were a blown coverage and had nothing to do with Love's skill. I get that every QB gets plays like that and they need to convert those chances, I just feel like Love got a ton of those and seemed to convert on almost every one. 

51 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

ah! I thought maybe he had been injured and missed some games. Thank you!

Nothing like spending $220 Million on a guy that's inconsistent...

Yeah, he was really bad to start the year, 3-6 record, 14 TD to 10 INT (and probably should've had 2-3 more).

Also, even though they turned it around the last 8 games, he only had 2x 300 yard games (CHI and LAC), both at home, and in fact, he only broke 280 yards 4 times. He was also very mediocre in the 4th quarter (close and late) where he had a 66.3 Passer Rating, 5 TD, 5 INT with 50% comp average with a Y/A of 6.5. 

To be fair, I dont know how consistent Caleb will be in the first half of this season either. He might have a similar trajectory, and finish the year strong with the lightbulb having fully turned on.

But I am glad we dont need to negotiate a $200M+ deal with Caleb for next year too. Thank god for rookie contracts.

Also, I have a prediction - I predict that in the next CBA teams will be able to declare only 60% (or a number close to that) of their single highest paid player's cap number against their cap so teams can compete in QB contracts without gutting the rest of the roster.

Or maybe you can just choose whichever single player's contract you want to get your 40% cap reduction on, but they have to be players you drafted yourself, having never been free agents.

That would be pretty cool.

33 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

To be fair, I dont know how consistent Caleb will be in the first half of this season either. He might have a similar trajectory, and finish the year strong with the lightbulb having fully turned on.

But I am glad we dont need to negotiate a $200M+ deal with Caleb for next year too. Thank god for rookie contracts.

Also, I have a prediction - I predict that in the next CBA teams will be able to declare only 60% (or a number close to that) of their single highest paid player's cap number against their cap so teams can compete in QB contracts without gutting the rest of the roster.

Or maybe you can just choose whichever single player's contract you want to get your 40% cap reduction on, but they have to be players you drafted yourself, having never been free agents.

That would be pretty cool.

Caleb is a rookie. Love was in his 4th season, 1st starting. 

Yeah, they are going to have to do something, and if they do that, it will help the Bears immensely when it comes time for Bagent's next contract.

23 minutes ago, adam said:

Caleb is a rookie. Love was in his 4th season, 1st starting.

exactly my point :)

Im just saying to be fair, Love finished strong, and might well be good this coming year, his slow start just being growing pains. Whereas we have a few years for Caleb to show who he is before wed have to break out the wallet.

18 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

exactly my point :)

Im just saying to be fair, Love finished strong, and might well be good this coming year, his slow start just being growing pains. Whereas we have a few years for Caleb to show who he is before wed have to break out the wallet.

I dont  think we should downplay his potenial for being great just because he's a rookie. You were the one pushing ( the best prospect since Luck- Burrow).  I think It shows up fairly early in this year. We have a fairly easy schudule plenty of time to get his feet wet. The difference is his supporting cast.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

I dont  think we should downplay his potenial for being great just because he's a rookie. You were the one pushing ( the best prospect since Luck- Burrow).  I think It shows up fairly early in this year. We have a fairly easy schudule plenty of time to get his feet wet. The difference is his supporting cast.

The schedule really works in the Bears favor with easier opponents earlier in the season when Williams is still figuring things out. 

I honestly would not be surprised if he throws for 3 TDs with 300 yards in Week 1.

46 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm not! I haven't put any ceiling on Williams.

I'm just saying you like to see at least two years of consistent play before you want to pay such big money, The Packers had to do it based on a single inconsistent season, and we have more time to evaluate Williams before we have to pay him.

My point was more about timing, and how the Packers put themselves in a bind, not about Williams really at all.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm not! I haven't put any ceiling on Williams.

I'm just saying you like to see at least two years of consistent play before you want to pay such big money, The Packers had to do it based on a single inconsistent season, and we have more time to evaluate Williams before we have to pay him.

My point was more about timing, and how the Packers put themselves in a bind, not about Williams really at all.

I think any QB due a contract are going to be overpaid these days. It was just his turn. GB didnt have a choice and hoped it turns out a good idea. A lot of teams regretting choices these days.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think any QB due a contract are going to be overpaid these days. It was just his turn. GB didnt have a choice and hoped it turns out a good idea. A lot of teams regretting choices these days.

GB could've extended him during the season or even before the season for Daniel Jones money. They basically lost $15M per year by waiting. They also could've negotiated a price lower than the highest paid QB in the NFL for a guy with 7 good starts. 

Rich Eisen posted a picture of the top 8 highest paid QBs (including Love), zero Super Bowls for the entire group, and now that they are paid, it is that much harder.

37 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

You can see the brotherhood emerging.

Just seeing those two together is still crazy. Both are Pro Bowl caliber WR1s on the same team. Like picture Moore on LAC last year with Allen, Everett, and Williams, which is basically what the Bears have this year plus Kmet, with Odunze in place of Williams.

On 7/27/2024 at 2:08 PM, Stinger226 said:

Did anyone know that Sweat has 4.41 speed and 35" arms? no wonder he's a beast.   (6'6" 264)

Yeah, it's crazy.  One thing I've read about him is that he's been a late bloomer at every level.  He went to college as a TE.  I'd love to see him average a sack per game.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

for sure. QBs are being overpaid. But Green Bay has the option of drafting a new rookie too. No one puts a gun to your head to spend your cap on a guy thats good but not great.

Green Bay is obviously betting he is going to be great, but they dont know. And they dont know because they didnt have a regular rookie contract with him starting to find out. ANd maybe they will get lucky and Love will be great, or maybe they will wish theyd had more time to evaluate him before they had to make that decision.

For me, in this new world, Id keep drafting rookies until I had a stud, and then pay him. Im not gonna pay $55M a year for some 15th best QB, and it's not just the money - its also the fact that youre married to him now and cant get your rookie again for a few years. Or if you do, and he sits, you dont get enough evaluation time again and youre in the same spot.

Another way of saying you look for greatness, and you dont settle for less even if it means sucking for a few years. Thats what Poles has shown us too.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

for sure. QBs are being overpaid. But Green Bay has the option of drafting a new rookie too. No one puts a gun to your head to spend your cap on a guy thats good but not great.

Green Bay is obviously betting he is going to be great, but they dont know. And they dont know because they didnt have a regular rookie contract with him starting to find out. ANd maybe they will get lucky and Love will be great, or maybe they will wish theyd had more time to evaluate him before they had to make that decision.

For me, in this new world, Id keep drafting rookies until I had a stud, and then pay him. Im not gonna pay $55M a year for some 15th best QB, and it's not just the money - its also the fact that youre married to him now and cant get your rookie again for a few years. Or if you do, and he sits, you dont get enough evaluation time again and youre in the same spot.

Another way of saying you look for greatness, and you dont settle for less even if it means sucking for a few years. Thats what Poles has shown us too.

Hope our D shows up with some swagger and smacks their O in the mouth. My Pucker hate is ever-growing.

5 hours ago, ChileBear said:

Hope our D shows up with some swagger and smacks their O in the mouth. My Pucker hate is ever-growing.

a freakin men

I want to see them playing with urgency. you know how it looks in the playoffs when everyone is dialed in and giving everything? I wanna see some of that every week. Intensity and desire. Hopefully that's Eberflus' style and the team buys in.

Okay, Bears related due to our mutual dislike of Aaron Rogers. LOL

I just read Rogers was mad at his teammates, calling them out on the field, because the offense was struggling in camp. This after he was AWOL from camp while on vacation. What an a**hole.

Rookie Punter Tory Taylor does not count against the 90 man roster since he can be designated with an international exemption.  I am sure Poles had that in mind also when making the pick.  He sure does cover all his bases and is seems to be steps ahead of the rest of the league.

36 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Rookie Punter Tory Taylor does not count against the 90 man roster since he can be designated with an international exemption.  I am sure Poles had that in mind also when making the pick.  He sure does cover all his bases and is seems to be steps ahead of the rest of the league.

yup!

Read this on the net this morning while making my normal round of visits. It seems there are those who believe the Bears might be a suitor for NE's Mathew Judon. He is upset he is not getting an extension. He is 31, soon to be 32, but if healthy (He had an injury last year) would be awesome opposite Sweat. Could be just blowing smoke. I have mixed feelings. It seems to me that Poles and Flus believe in Dexter & Booker to give our pass rush a boost. Here is the article:

Insider Confirms Matthew Judon is in Play for he Bears

40 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Read this on the net this morning while making my normal round of visits. It seems there are those who believe the Bears might be a suitor for NE's Mathew Judon. He is upset he is not getting an extension. He is 31, soon to be 32, but if healthy (He had an injury last year) would be awesome opposite Sweat. Could be just blowing smoke. I have mixed feelings. It seems to me that Poles and Flus believe in Dexter & Booker to give our pass rush a boost. Here is the article:

Insider Confirms Matthew Judon is in Play for he Bears

After the Claypool saga, I don't know if Poles would target a disgruntled employee again. Also, if Judon is already going to be 32, he is on the steep decline in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, adam said:

After the Claypool saga, I don't know if Poles would target a disgruntled employee again. Also, if Judon is already going to be 32, he is on the steep decline in the NFL. 

Agree.

On another note, it appears from every site I visit that the Bears' offensive line is BAD.

Wright is being blown up by Sweat on every attempt to block him. Both of the guys fighting for Center are being overpowered by Dexter. Davis continues with his missed practices. Jenkins had a scare in practice but he was able to shake it off and return a play later. Jones was 50/50 on success against the rush. This SUCKS!

DAMN IT! We need to get this fixed, and FAST!