The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

Yeah, it's better to play against the best, but they play vanilla coverages and dont really gameplan anyway.

So I think it's just the reps under fire that counts, and from that point of view it'll be helpful for us to get snaps.

If they look great, we probably cant take too much from that other than just people know what theyre doing, but if we struggle, that will be a bad signal for sure.

Also, I think there is a chance we get out of this weekend with Trey Hendricksen in a trade.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also, I think there is a chance we get out of this weekend with Trey Hendricksen in a trade.

Hope you're right, but I believe Hendricksen signed an extension to play 2024 & 2025 in Cincy. Not sure he is being offered in trade.

Bears practiced for 2 hours in the rain. Our offense and defense had a great day against CIN 1s. Caleb started off with an INT but then threw for 3 TDs and made impressive throws to all 3 of our starting WRs, while Burrows threw 3 Interceptions. Best yet, we avoided injuries while Davis (returning from a groin injury) started for the 3rd straight day. Unfortunately, I heard Bates has an undisclosed injury (hopefully just keeping him safely tucked away for the season.) CIN was not as fortunate, as they had two injuries (RB & OL) that had them leave in walking boots.

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

On a side note, I seen Matt Judon DE was traded to Atlanta.  There was talk about the Bears should be talking with NE on this.  I think Poles wants to save cap to sign Jenkins or Keenan Allen in season if they show worthy.

I've also read that the Bears did offer a 3rd rd pick for Judon, but NEP chose ATL's 3rd Rd pick instead. ATL is really loading up for this year. They also picked up a FA Safety after getting Judon. They are certainly a team on the rise.

I personally did not want to gamble on Judon, a 32 yr old player, looking for a big payday, who only played 4 games last year due to a torn bicep. Not the kind of guy I'd want to roll the dice with.

13 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I've also read that the Bears did offer a 3rd rd pick for Judon, but NEP chose ATL's 3rd Rd pick instead. ATL is really loading up for this year. They also picked up a FA Safety after getting Judon. They are certainly a team on the rise.

I personally did not want to gamble on Judon, a 32 yr old player, looking for a big payday, who only played 4 games last year due to a torn bicep. Not the kind of guy I'd want to roll the dice with.

thats why they wouldnt offer that other 2nd we have. Poles was willing to get into the bidding, but stayed disciplined, and wouldnt overpay.

Hendricksen would probably cost a lot more. Theyre asking a #1, Ive seen it theorized that we might offer:

2025 2nd rounder
Demarcus Walker
Greg Stroman Jr
2026 6th or something

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

thats why they wouldnt offer that other 2nd we have. Poles was willing to get into the bidding, but stayed disciplined, and wouldnt overpay.

Hendricksen would probably cost a lot more. Theyre asking a #1, Ive seen it theorized that we might offer:

2025 2nd rounder
Demarcus Walker
Greg Stroman Jr
2026 6th or something

It's possible, but I would assume CIN is closer to a SB run than the Bears, so wouldn't they need the elite Edge player instead of the draft capital?

13 hours ago, Pixote said:

Ditto on Judon.  I don’t want the team tied into a big contract on an old player.  

Poles tied to trade for Judson but the money you would have had to pay him killed the deal. He will only add if he can get a team friendly deal. Also I seen where Connor Williams only signed for a 1 yr deal ffor 4 mil. There must be some concerns about his injury.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles tied to trade for Judson but the money you would have had to pay him killed the deal. He will only add if he can get a team friendly deal. Also I seen where Connor Williams only signed for a 1 yr deal ffor 4 mil. There must be some concerns about his injury.

I read that Poles matched the Falcon's offer of a 3rd rounder.  The Patriots chose the Falcon's 3rd, thinking it will be a better pick than the Bears.  It's pretty cool to think that they think we'll be better than the Falcon's.

33 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I read that Poles matched the Falcon's offer of a 3rd rounder.  The Patriots chose the Falcon's 3rd, thinking it will be a better pick than the Bears.  It's pretty cool to think that they think we'll be better than the Falcon's.

yup, even as they are loading their defense!

I also saw analysis that we can fit another good sized contract under the cap given the rookie QB cap allotment. This is especially true if we add DeMarcus Walker to the trade. So I disagree with Stinger that it was Judons contract ask that killed it - we were clearly in on that.

I do think Poles was being disciplined as far as how much draft capital to give up, not going above a 3rd. But if wed gotten the trade with a 3rd, Judons contract expectations were still going to be the same, and if wed intended not to pay that, we wouldnt have been as far as offering that 3rd.

35 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Scott Pioli was apparently in the room as the trade discussions were underway and that the Bears backed out due to contract demands.   In the end we might have i offered more in the trade who knows.  I don’t even remember where I read that so I can’t provide a link.  

44 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Scott Pioli was apparently in the room as the trade discussions were underway and that the Bears backed out due to contract demands.   In the end we might have i offered more in the trade who knows.  I don’t even remember where I read that so I can’t provide a link.  

You are right. It was the salary demands by his agent that caused the deal to blow up. Here is a small quote and a link to the article from sports illustrated:

On NFL Network's Good Morning Football, former NFL executive Scott Pioli said he was at Halas Hall during the talks the Bears had with Judon's agent.

"They were one of the teams that were talking to the Patriots," Pioli said. "They were talking to the agent for Matthew Judon. I was watching this whole thing unfold."

Pioli was GM with the Chiefs, Ryan Poles' old team. and a five-time executive of the year.

"When it happened, I thought there was a really good chance," Pioli said about the Bears getting Judon. "But what it came down to was the money and what was going to be done with the contract."

What Ryan Poles' Pursuit of Matthew Judon Says for Bears at Edge

52 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I stand corrected.  I'll take Scott Pioli's word a hundred out of a hundred times over the Windy City Gridiron...

yup me too - if Pioli says thats what happened, I believe him. Apologies to Stinger for misunderstanding.

I had thought we were guessing at what went wrong, and I figured if we were offering picks, then we already had the contract worked out in broad strokes. Now I see it was all simultaneous.

In any case, kudos to Poles for staying disciplined, and not overpaying for someone on the wrong side of 30.

New stat site at NFL.com if you have NFL+ Premium. https://pro.nfl.com/

Besides every stat and next gen stat, it also has sortable videos, with filters. So you can say player: DJ Moore, Season: 2023, Regular Season, Route Type: In Route and it will bring up every play with both the normal video and all-22 of that play. The crazy part is, it's every route, even ones where he was not targeted. Insane.

14 minutes ago, adam said:

New stat site at NFL.com if you have NFL+ Premium. https://pro.nfl.com/

Besides every stat and next gen stat, it also has sortable videos, with filters. So you can say player: DJ Moore, Season: 2023, Regular Season, Route Type: In Route and it will bring up every play with both the normal video and all-22 of that play. The crazy part is, it's every route, even ones where he was not targeted. Insane.

wow that IS cool

13 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

wow that IS cool

So compilation videos will be a breeze. Before we had to wait for other to post in. Now they are basically on-demand. If someone wants to see something like that, all they have to do is ask.

NFL+ charges , I have bought the last 4 yrs but got this app in Thailand that lets me watch free. I dropped all my subs and now for what averages 20 a month, I save 50 a month. So far so good ( I dropped cable TV 5 yrs ago ) . I now have a Antenna for 15 free stations and the APP. If you subscribe be sure to drop the the sub right away because it goes auto sub. I have been jacked with that before.

On 8/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Is it free?

I already have an account for NFL+ for the other content, so I think it is part of that package, which just makes it more useful. Before I was just paying for the game replays, etc. Now I get a really cool resource added to that content.

I only sign up from now until December, so I pay about $60, which isn't too bad considering what you get access to.

22 hours ago, adam said:

I already have an account for NFL+ for the other content, so I think it is part of that package, which just makes it more useful. Before I was just paying for the game replays, etc. Now I get a really cool resource added to that content.

I only sign up from now until December, so I pay about $60, which isn't too bad considering what you get access to.

I have paid more than that before but have had that discounted sub before to. I think I quit and they offered it to me.

Loved watching Caleb and Flus on Hard Knocks at the beginning of the episode this week - breaking down the play that started off looking like 1 high, and ended up being 2 deep man under - the one where Caleb scrambled up the middle, as a QB should against that defense.

It was great to see the competence. I shouldnt say I'm surprised by it from professionals, but many years we didnt really see it, so it was great to see.

Also great to hear Caleb say the game was easier than practice.

The bit about Poles being disciplined about not overpaying Judon, and that they paid a 4th rounder for Booker was good to hear. They seem to be ready to give the young guys some snaps to grow. Might be a little bumpy early, but pays dividends in the long run.

ANd lastly, hearing Kevin Warren decide what he personally thought was classier for box seating, rather than a survey or some kind of market driven answer makes it seem like hes a bit of an ego case. I used to see it in advertising a lot when a 50 year old male client was working on a product for 13 year girls, and they wanted classic rock "boomer" music. Dude, thats what YOU want, not necessarily what the market wants. These arent objective good and bad decisions here, thy are subjective and should be made from the point of view of the consumers!

I think he wants to be league commissioner one day.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Loved watching Caleb and Flus on Hard Knocks at the beginning of the episode this week - breaking down the play that started off looking like 1 high, and ended up being 2 deep man under - the one where Caleb scrambled up the middle, as a QB should against that defense.

It was great to see the competence. I shouldnt say I'm surprised by it from professionals, but many years we didnt really see it, so it was great to see.

Also great to hear Caleb say the game was easier than practice.

The bit about Poles being disciplined about not overpaying Judon, and that they paid a 4th rounder for Booker was good to hear. They seem to be ready to give the young guys some snaps to grow. Might be a little bumpy early, but pays dividends in the long run.

ANd lastly, hearing Kevin Warren decide what he personally thought was classier for box seating, rather than a survey or some kind of market driven answer makes it seem like hes a bit of an ego case. I used to see it in advertising a lot when a 50 year old male client was working on a product for 13 year girls, and they wanted classic rock "boomer" music. Dude, thats what YOU want, not necessarily what the market wants. These arent objective good and bad decisions here, thy are subjective and should be made from the point of view of the consumers!

I think he wants to be league commissioner one day.

Best episode so far. It feels like they wasted a little too much time on other things in the first 2 episodes (Simone Biles). They really like the rookie singing thing. After awhile it gets a little old though. 

Odunze is a lot faster than I thought, I may have been underestimating him a little. I know there were some concerns about Allen but based on this episode and the recent practice reports, he is looking really good. 

It is a relief to see Flus isn't 100% Coach speak and the team seems to like playing for him.

Bagent already talking about going undefeated in the preseason. We will see if he can help with that on Thursday. I know I have thought that "the preseason doesn't matter" but it seems to these guys.

I still can't believe Booker was drafted in the 5th round.

Warren, like a lot of top level Execs are basically worthless and just a figure head. Some of those positions are part of the bloat of corporations today. Like what is the ROI on his hire? How much more profit margin have the Bears brought in over Warren's salary directly related to his work?