The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

41 minutes ago, adam said:

Warren, like a lot of top level Execs are basically worthless and just a figure head. Some of those positions are part of the bloat of corporations today. Like what is the ROI on his hire? How much more profit margin have the Bears brought in over Warren's salary directly related to his work?

His hire was primarily about getting a stadium that would be a showpiece.

I remember after the new version of Soldier Field was launched. What an abortion Teddy helped give us with his approach. I remember the first game telecast at the new stadium. The network announcers assigned to our game's broadcast commented that the stadium looked like a flying saucer had landed on top of the old stadium.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

His hire was primarily about getting a stadium that would be a showpiece.

I remember after the new version of Soldier Field was launched. What an abortion Teddy helped give us with his approach. I remember the first game telecast at the new stadium. The network announcers assigned to our game's broadcast commented that the stadium looked like a flying saucer had landed on top of the old stadium.

Oh I know, but to me it was more of a symbolic move. The McCaskey's go outside of the family circle. Bring in a guy who has stadium building experience, etc. He is like a Stadium Czar!

However, his involvement in football ops is all show. Like I can't see him giving Poles any advice that would change Poles mind about a difficult decision. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

Warren, like a lot of top level Execs are basically worthless and just a figure head. Some of those positions are part of the bloat of corporations today. Like what is the ROI on his hire? How much more profit margin have the Bears brought in over Warren's salary directly related to his work?

If he can deliver a stadium deal, then he will bring in more $ for the Bears than anyone else in the organization. I respect him and his role as a negotiator and demi-politician.

I just think that expertise doesnt extend to interior design, and that shows his ego. Based on what ive seen so far, Im not a fan of the man, but if he does a good job in his lane and doesnt screw other things up, then ok :)

40 minutes ago, adam said:

However, his involvement in football ops is all show. Like I can't see him giving Poles any advice that would change Poles mind about a difficult decision. 

agree 100% - wonder if he can help himself.

1 hour ago, adam said:

LOL 100%

I'm sure it is everything Poles can do to be diplomatic while Warren tries to give him advice. I'd love to hear what he says to his wife when he gets home about the "expert" input he received from Warren. He will be relieved when the cameras in his office used by Hard Knocks are removed so he doesn't have to be careful not to show his reaction after Warren leaves. 😉

1 minute ago, Pixote said:

LOL 100%

I'm sure it is everything Poles can do to be diplomatic while Warren tries to give him advice. I'd love to hear what he says to his wife when he gets home about the "expert" input he received from Warren. He will be relieved when the cameras in his office used by Hard Knocks are removed so he doesn't have to be careful not to show his reaction after Warren leaves. 😉

I couldnt agree more.

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

LOL 100%

A president usually only cares about the bottom dollar and building worth.  He wants a good brand/product that customers want to buy.  As for football operations, he has Poles reporting to him on his decisions to make sure he is making good decisions. He has teams in place for the stadium too.  He oversees the complete operation and showing enthusiasm to his employees is good as long as he can also express concern. We have had Teddy in place for almost a lifetime, so I don't mind getting insight from Warren.  He has been more transparent which gives fans more depth than slick Ted.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

If he can deliver a stadium deal, then he will bring in more $ for the Bears than anyone else in the organization. I respect him and his role as a negotiator and demi-politician.

I just think that expertise doesnt extend to interior design, and that shows his ego. Based on what ive seen so far, Im not a fan of the man, but if he does a good job in his lane and doesnt screw other things up, then ok :)

I think some of that has to be for Hard Knocks, to show how "detail oriented" Warren is. He even picked out the color of the drapes "Navy Blue and Orange"! Brilliant! lol

3 minutes ago, adam said:

I think some of that has to be for Hard Knocks, to show how "detail oriented" Warren is. He even picked out the color of the drapes "Navy Blue and Orange"! Brilliant! lol

I think Warren has too much need for recognition.  He probably hears Poles getting praised everywhere he goes and he can't take credit for any of it.  Meanwhile, his "white whale" is tied up by crooked politicians and lawyers.

54 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think Warren has too much need for recognition.  He probably hears Poles getting praised everywhere he goes and he can't take credit for any of it.  Meanwhile, his "white whale" is tied up by crooked politicians and lawyers.

this is how it feels to me too. I also think he is making himself seen so he can make a play to be NFL commissioner.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

this is how it feels to me too. I also think he is making himself seen so he can make a play to be NFL commissioner.

You keep speculating that Warren has aspirations to be NFL Commissioner. There isn't a chance in hell that will happen. Warren is no dummy. He knows this.

Goodell's last reported salary in 2020/2021 was 63,900,000. He then received a raise, the amount of which I am uncertain of. He is only 65 years old, a little older than Warren. He has been highly successful in his position. The NFL fan base has expanded. Team owners are making fortunes. With such financial success under his leadership, he has maximum job security. There is no way in hell he is going to retire anytime soon. By the time he does, Warren will be too old to even be considered for the position.

47 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

In other news, Atlanta promoted Ryan Pace to VP of football operations and player personnel. 

Did I comment just a few days ago on how I thought ATL was making some intelligent moves during the off-season?  OUCH. I sure was wrong with that evaluation.

4 hours ago, Pixote said:

You keep speculating that Warren has aspirations to be NFL Commissioner. There isn't a chance in hell that will happen. Warren is no dummy. He knows this.

Goodell's last reported salary in 2020/2021 was 63,900,000. He then received a raise, the amount of which I am uncertain of. He is only 65 years old, a little older than Warren. He has been highly successful in his position. The NFL fan base has expanded. Team owners are making fortunes. With such financial success under his leadership, he has maximum job security. There is no way in hell he is going to retire anytime soon. By the time he does, Warren will be too old to even be considered for the position.

You may well be right about that, but Goodell has been there a while, and he has made friends and enemies. I also think the league might like the optics of having Warren do it.

Also, every election year there are more candidates trying to get airtime and traction than there will be spots for nominations, so attention seeking by people who will not succeed isn't so outlandish.

So, I'm not predicting he WILL be Commissioner, but I think Warren isnt acting like someone who already has the job they always wanted - hes acting like he wants to move up. But that doesnt mean its gonna happen of course.

Either that or it's pure ego on his part, but I get the sense that he's always a guy with a plan. Maybe he wants to go into politics or something? Or open a business advising sports teams how to acquire large properties and build out attractions? or something! Cuz he's acting like he's working on getting somewhere.

Warren went for Minny to Big 10 commish,. to Bears CEO. he absolutely wants to be NFL big guy. He's a smart guy and ONCE he gets the stadium built, he will push for that job. That's why he's pressing the state for funding to be on the lake. He wants to flex his ability to get stuff done. We will end up being in Arlington Heights and he will run for Mayor. ( I predict)

On 8/16/2024 at 3:45 PM, BearFan PHX said:

wow that IS cool

The next NFL commissioner will need to be someone with international connections.  Or at least someone who can build that.  That may or may not be Warren.  I have no clue.  League expansion into Europe and elsewhere is at the top of the agenda.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

The next NFL commissioner will need to be someone with international connections.  Or at least someone who can build that.  That may or may not be Warren.  I have no clue.  League expansion into Europe and elsewhere is at the top of the agenda.  

I can totally see that. WFL

I think Velus Jones helped secure him a job.  Try to stash Wheeler on PS, cut Homer. 

RB: Swift, Herbert, Johnson, Jones and Blasingame.  

The injury to Larry Borum hurts since Kiwan is not up to speed, so this might be a position the Bears target in fa. 

Steward with sticky fingers put himself in the spotlight. 

10 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Velus Jones helped secure him a job.  Try to stash Wheeler on PS, cut Homer. 

RB: Swift, Herbert, Johnson, Jones and Blasingame.  

The injury to Larry Borum hurts since Kiwan is not up to speed, so this might be a position the Bears target in fa. 

Steward with sticky fingers put himself in the spotlight. 

agree with all of this. Ive been a constant Velus hater, but I gotta admit he looked like he has some value at RB tonight. I know it was against the 3s and 4s, but hes competing to be a 4 anyway.

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

agree with all of this. Ive been a constant Velus hater, but I gotta admit he looked like he has some value at RB tonight. I know it was against the 3s and 4s, but hes competing to be a 4 anyway.

I think i heard the announcer say he is similiar to Cordelle Patterson with his size and speed. He can be a solid/good returner and maybe see a few plays each game at RB.  His end around last year was almost always a good gain. 

30 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think i heard the announcer say he is similiar to Cordelle Patterson with his size and speed. He can be a solid/good returner and maybe see a few plays each game at RB.  His end around last year was almost always a good gain. 

and he can run go routes from the RB position - I pity the LBers or safeties that have to cover that. Hope he catches it when it comes though.