The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

Odunze is the wild card for me. If Allen is replacing Mooney, Odunze is replacing Claypool, which is some crazy upgrades.

I also did not recall that Roschon had the 4th most targets last year behind Moore, Kmet, and Mooney. He had more than TE2 and WR3. Now that is Everett and Odunze with Swift ahead of him. 

If all QBs combined can throw for 3400 yards and opponents can throw for 4200 on the Bears defense, I still don't see why Williams is not throwing for 3800+ with his eyes closed?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Odunze is the wild card for me. If Allen is replacing Mooney, Odunze is replacing Claypool, which is some crazy upgrades.

I also did not recall that Roschon had the 4th most targets last year behind Moore, Kmet, and Mooney. He had more than TE2 and WR3. Now that is Everett and Odunze with Swift ahead of him. 

If all QBs combined can throw for 3400 yards and opponents can throw for 4200 on the Bears defense, I still don't see why Williams is not throwing for 3800+ with his eyes closed?

he definitely ought to look good, even if he throws some interceptions etc.

I guess the wild card is the running game. If we have good success on the ground, we might not be asking Caleb to throw that much, and that could limit his yardage totals. But with 3 solid WRs, and TEs and RBs that can catch, when he does throw, everything is in place for him to do well.

I do expect Caleb to get over 4,000 soon - this season or next.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree with all of this. I was thinking, off the top of my head, that we should be able to routinely beat the 16 worst teams in the league, which means we are probably 12th, but really heading higher, because the 12th best teams doesnt "routinely" beat the 17th best team.

I'd say we are around 12th-ish, heading into the top 10 maybe even top 5. But we will find those top 5 teams are on another level, and while our roster probably matches up with them, we will need to learn how much desire and will we have for winning when we meet those teams. I always think thats the last lesson you need to learn before you are truly competing.

I think of the 1984 Bears getting easily handled by the 49ers in the NFC Championship game. They already had a magical roster, but they didn't know how deep they were going to have to dig yet. That's our ceiling right now I think. I dont want to contemplate our floor, but assuming we play our cards well, it's still 8+ wins.

Great analogy.  They were on the rise and didn't have the confidence.  If Caleb inspires confidence, the defense would definitely feed off of that.  Take the Chiefs as an example.  They can make mistakes on both sides of the ball and always play instinctually because Mahommes/Kelce/Reed gives them the confidence.  That's the reason I believe we are a year from the window.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Great analogy.  They were on the rise and didn't have the confidence.  If Caleb inspires confidence, the defense would definitely feed off of that.  Take the Chiefs as an example.  They can make mistakes on both sides of the ball and always play instinctually because Mahommes/Kelce/Reed gives them the confidence.  That's the reason I believe we are a year from the window.

thats how I see it too, although I wouldnt be 100% comfortable predicting where the team will be in December. If they gel, they might be like year 2 in December.

But i also think there is a moment where you learn that you need to dig deep within yourself and find things you never knew you had.

MJ had a great shooting percentage, but it was even higher on important shots that determined games, and even higher than that on important shots that win playoff games or championships. That hard to define magic where you actually play better than even your own ability when it matters.

I hope to see us have some gut check moments like that this year, and decide exactly how hungry we really are.

Surtain getting a bigger contract than Jaylon is crazy. I don't understand the Surtain hype. Last year he had 1 INT, the 11th most air yards against (483), an 88.2 Passer Rating against and allowed 12.2 yards a reception. Johnson had a 50.9 Passer Rating against, 4 INT, and allowed 8.7 per reception against. 

Surtain is closer to Stevenson than Johnson and Stevenson had more INTs.

Stevenson: 4 INT, 492 Air Yards against, 93.7 Passer Rating Against, and 11.9 yards per reception against. 

Like what am I missing about Surtain? 

His PFF Coverage Grade is on the 3rd page at 64.7 (63rd amongst qualified CBs). Terrell Smith 65.4, Gordon 68.2, Jaylon 90.4, Stevenson 59.1. 

So again, he is closer to Stevenson and Smith than Jaylon. So what gives?