PFF top 32 OTs

Stinger226

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

PFF is not the king of the hill but it is a comprensive look at comparing playrs. So much for the ( we should have drated a OT at 9 crowd)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-offensive-tackle-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-season

But the Bears did draft an OT who can challenge or replace the LT.  Like QB, you want your LT to be top 5 and not hovering average in rankings.  Braxton has be a great addition for a 5th round pick and has value, like Leno Jr was for a 7th rd pick.  He now needs to take that next step having a rookie with some better attributes behind him. 

This is sort of dependent on how you look at it, Jones is 31st and Wright is 32nd. So you could say Jones is one of the worst LTs in the league while Wright is the best RT. 

Jones is good enough, and Wright still needs to improve. If both can improve this season, then when you add in Amegajie as the swing tackle, that is a solid OT room. Center needs to be addressed and I still do not trust Davis at RG. 

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

But the Bears did draft an OT who can challenge or replace the LT.  Like QB, you want your LT to be top 5 and not hovering average in rankings.  Braxton has be a great addition for a 5th round pick and has value, like Leno Jr was for a 7th rd pick.  He now needs to take that next step having a rookie with some better attributes behind him. 

Im not sure the top 5 LTs were top 5 their first few years. These rating are projected on a 2nd yr and 3 rd year player. They have improved and should finish higher than 31 and 32 in the next few years. KA may prove to be a better LT than Braxton but he will take a few years to develop. Our choice this year came down to Odunze or the third OT taken. When building a team, everyone cant be a first round pick. We have to trust they get developed.I think if both finish top 10 at their position that is acceptable as we acquire blue chip players at other positions. 

Braxton is decent, and improving, and he has been an amazing value for a 5th round pick. There are never enough top picks to fill every hole on a football team with top 10 picks, but left offensive tackle remains a need.

Braxton's big contribution has been to give us enough so that we could spend our first and second round picks on other positions, but every year the LOT crop gets evaluated, because we still do need a top one. Braxton is doing great, and it is still a position of need. Both are true.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Braxton is decent, and improving, and he has been an amazing value for a 5th round pick. There are never enough top picks to fill every hole on a football team with top 10 picks, but left offensive tackle remains a need.

Braxton's big contribution has been to give us enough so that we could spend our first and second round picks on other positions, but every year the LOT crop gets evaluated, because we still do need a top one. Braxton is doing great, and it is still a position of need. Both are true.

Agree, the moment he doesnt keep getting better, thatv need to replace him. Of which they may already have with drafting Kiran. 

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree, the moment he doesnt keep getting better, thatv need to replace him. Of which they may already have with drafting Kiran. 

well, I guess, but even if he keeps getting better, unless or until he is a top 10 LOT in the league, they will always be looking for competition there until they have one. And youre right, Kiran might be the answer, or a free agent or draft pick next year. You just cant fill every position with a top 10 pick of course, so guys like Braxton are so helpful, but int he long run, we still need a true stud there sooner or later, one way or another.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

If this is the NFL GM's see it, we would be over the moon.  There are 64 starting OT's in league.  To say we have second and third year guys in the top half is amazing to think of.

for sure, and Wright is gonna be a lot higher after this year.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If this is the NFL GM's see it, we would be over the moon.  There are 64 starting OT's in league.  To say we have second and third year guys in the top half is amazing to think of.

Leno jr is still rated in that 32ish zone too, but he's been in the league a long time now.  Trent Williams and Pat Maholmes is the goal.  

12 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Leno jr is still rated in that 32ish zone too, but he's been in the league a long time now.  Trent Williams and Pat Maholmes is the goal.  

PFF has always loved Leno. Im not a big fan of their ratings, but i do think Wright is gonna be a stud, and Jones has been solid

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

PFF has always loved Leno. Im not a big fan of their ratings, but i do think Wright is gonna be a stud, and Jones has been solid

To me, I use PFF as a validator. So if something passes the eye test, has some other raw stats to back it up AND PFF has similar grades, it is more believable. 

Like for Leno, to me, he was always below league average, like a 20-25 ranked LT (assuming 15-16th is league average), he was definitely serviceable, but his best trait was his health. Hard to pay top dollar for someone like that.

1 hour ago, adam said:

To me, I use PFF as a validator. So if something passes the eye test, has some other raw stats to back it up AND PFF has similar grades, it is more believable. 

Like for Leno, to me, he was always below league average, like a 20-25 ranked LT (assuming 15-16th is league average), he was definitely serviceable, but his best trait was his health. Hard to pay top dollar for someone like that.

well thats an old can of worms, but what i saw of Leno was that he routinely picked the wrong guy to block, and doubled up on someone while his guy ran free to the QB. PFF called that a successful block LOL

I think when we had him he was absolutely terrible, and should have ranked below 32. I havent seen enough of his play recently to comment on his current ranking though I admit.

IMO, Leno didn't "earn" a big payday when his rookie contract expired, so they let him go.

IMO, Braxton has yet to earn a big payday when his rookie contract expires.

Unless he shows a vast improvement, I wouldn't pay him the big $$$ LOTs are getting in today's NFL.