What Would you Rather?...

Mongo3451

I'm doing this for WR, please feel free to add other positions.

Since the Jefferson deal, I'm questioning what we do with WR in the future.  We are currently on a great position with having three 1's in the room.  For future purposes, do we draft a WR annually to ensure the pipeline is full or do we pay 35+ million to re-sign our own?  

Looking at Dallas, they are going to have to pay CD the same as JJ to keep him.  Add 60 mil to Dak and it seems untenable.  Especially with their EDGE rusher wanting a record contract as well.

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm doing this for WR, please feel free to add other positions.

Since the Jefferson deal, I'm questioning what we do with WR in the future.  We are currently on a great position with having three 1's in the room.  For future purposes, do we draft a WR annually to ensure the pipeline is full or do we pay 35+ million to re-sign our own?  

Looking at Dallas, they are going to have to pay CD the same as JJ to keep him.  Add 60 mil to Dak and it seems untenable.  Especially with their EDGE rusher wanting a record contract as well.

Literally every position group goes thru this sequence, so I don't think of this as any new type of issue. The Bears can extend guys like Jenkins and Moore and when their big money kicks in, guys like Davis and Edmunds will come off the books. Like today, how big of a drop off would the Bears have with Edwards, Sanborn, and Sewell with a rookie LB as LB4 vs Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn and Sewell today? The drop off ain't that big but that allows the Bears to extend Jenkins. Then if you replace Davis with a rookie OG, that allows you to extend Moore.

This roster is basically locked in and cost controlled thru 2025, and Williams is cost controlled thru 2028, so the Bears will more than likely front load some of their vets to pay them in 2027 and 2028 to give them flexibility in 2029 and 2030 when Williams QB pay bump will force the cap for the rest of the roster to drop. If Poles does it correctly, they won't lose any core players until 2031, which is 8 years from now.

I think Poles has done very well staggering the contracts.  2031 would be a dream come true, if we're solid until then.  Obviously, he'll pay Caleb first, then make decision on Rome.(That's if they ball out)

Depending on how the receptions are ditributed, Allen could be offered a team friendly contract if we do a lot of winning, at worst we could tag him one more year. OTC estimated it would be 24.7 mil for franchise tag and 22.1 mil for transition tag. I think they draft a new one next year and sigh an extenstion for DJ. Leaving Keenan odd man out. DJ , Rome, Kmet, Everret can carry  the water while a new one developes. 

48 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Depending on how the receptions are ditributed, Allen could be offered a team friendly contract if we do a lot of winning, at worst we could tag him one more year. OTC estimated it would be 24.7 mil for franchise tag and 22.1 mil for transition tag. I think they draft a new one next year and sigh an extenstion for DJ. Leaving Keenan odd man out. DJ , Rome, Kmet, Everret can carry  the water while a new one developes. 

Allen may stick around for 2 years, but one way or another, his time is limited, so it will be DJ and Odunze, and whoever else they acquire along the way. Allen is great, but he will age out at some point.

The upside is that Allen's game relies more on cuts, angles and body position than raw speed, so he should have more longevity than a pure burner can. But he's still going to be a different receiver three years from now than he is today.

As for Keenan Allen, it is going to come down to how Tyler Scott and Velus Jones do.  I read somewhere that they plan to get Jones involved even more because they know he has game changing athleticism and it's a do or die year.  If one or both take a step, they can part from Allen and who knows, maybe sign/trade for him late 2025 if they need a vet to get then over the top.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Allen may stick around for 2 years, but one way or another, his time is limited, so it will be DJ and Odunze, and whoever else they acquire along the way. Allen is great, but he will age out at some point.

The upside is that Allen's game relies more on cuts, angles and body position than raw speed, so he should have more longevity than a pure burner can. But he's still going to be a different receiver three years from now than he is today.

I figure 2 years max. 2026 is the year we have to start handing out big contracts and the expensive contracts go off the books.

Just now, Stinger226 said:

I figure 2 years max. 2026 is the year we have to start handing out big contracts and the expensive contracts go off the books.

that sounds right, a good bet, but some of these guys do play more years, and maybe Allen is one of them? We wont know until we get there, so for now at least, what you say seems to be the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Readdressing the WR position.  I'm looking at the Bengals and wondering how they are going to manage Burrow, Chase and Higgins.  They will account for 120 million a year.  Is the cap rating enough to support that?  Will it be sustainable if not?

53 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Readdressing the WR position.  I'm looking at the Bengals and wondering how they are going to manage Burrow, Chase and Higgins.  They will account for 120 million a year.  Is the cap rating enough to support that?  Will it be sustainable if not?

Higgens will for sure be gone next year.  If Caleb grows into what we hope, I believe the Bears resources will start going to the trenches, which I assume will be strong on the draft side which helps keep the cap down.  I would take a team friendly extension with Keenan over Higgens since he seems like a great fit for this year and next while Odunze grows into a force. Scott/Jones need to take a leap in production and eventually win the #3 spot since I don't see the Bears investing in WR draft wise early for a few years.