Rookie Punting Records

adam

Taylor is going to be a top 10 Punter, and huge upgrade over limped legged Gill. There has only been 1 rookie punter ever to break 50 yards per punt. I think Taylor joins Stonehouse with his average per punt. Due to a better offense, I don't know how often he will be punting, but I don't think averaging over 50 yards per punt is out of reach for him. 

The other thing he excels at is pinning team inside their 20. Last season Stonehouse (again), averaged 52.8% of his punts inside the 20. Wishnowsky was the only other punter over 50%. I think Taylor can go 50/50% this year, which would be a top 5 punter in the NFL. 

a dominant punter is like a 12th man on defense. he gives us a couple more sets of downs to gamble with, and if you get those gambles right, you put the opposing offense behind the chains and then you can tee off, and get the ball back - with an increased field position of course because your punter out punts their punter.

End result - Caleb starts drives on his own 40 more often than his own 5.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lemonej said:

I'm wondering if he will be utilized on kickoffs because of the new rules.

it's an interesting question. I've been thinking outside the box (which probably means a bunch of silliness) about this and I have a few ideas.

1) I wondered about whether they might expand the rule to include a punt style kickoff choice, like after a safety, but i realized that hang time means nothing in this case because no one can move before the ball hits the ground or the receiver. So hang time, however the ball is kicked is meaningless.

2) Accuracy seems to be the main point here, so if our new punter can kick more accurately from a tee, then by all means yes, but i think they are such different motions it's unlikely.

3) I have heard some thought that having a linebacker kick the ball might work because you dont need so much leg strength, and maybe having a surer tackler on the field is more important than kicking skills?

4) You still need a placekicker for field goals and extra points, so you cant really free up a roster spot with any of the ridiculous ideas I've put above lol

5) I expect a lot of innovation and trickery on the returns. Throwbacks, reverses etc. If it ends up meaning that talented players score or gain better field position then great - but if it ends up meaning that randomly, teams get free touchdowns or superior field position because the play is too chaotic, then i will hope they change it. I want the best team to win, not the luckiest.

Whatever occurs, it's going to be interesting.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, BearFan PHX said:

it's an interesting question. I've been thinking outside the box (which probably means a bunch of silliness) about this and I have a few ideas.

1) I wondered about whether they might expand the rule to include a punt style kickoff choice, like after a safety, but i realized that hang time means nothing in this case because no one can move before the ball hits the ground or the receiver. So hang time, however the ball is kicked is meaningless.

2) Accuracy seems to be the main point here, so if our new punter can kick more accurately from a tee, then by all means yes, but i think they are such different motions it's unlikely.

3) I have heard some thought that having a linebacker kick the ball might work because you dont need so much leg strength, and maybe having a surer tackler on the field is more important than kicking skills?

4) You still need a placekicker for field goals and extra points, so you cant really free up a roster spot with any of the ridiculous ideas I've put above lol

5) I expect a lot of innovation and trickery on the returns. Throwbacks, reverses etc. If it ends up meaning that talented players score or gain better field position then great - but if it ends up meaning that randomly, teams get free touchdowns or superior field position because the play is too chaotic, then i will hope they change it. I want the best team to win, not the luckiest.

Whatever occurs, it's going to be interesting.

Taylor is 6'4" 225 lbs, the same weight as Roschon Johnson, lol. Obviously thinner due to the height, but it does make sense to have the best tackler that can kick do the kicking. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Taylor is 6'4" 225 lbs, the same weight as Roschon Johnson, lol. Obviously thinner due to the height, but it does make sense to have the best tackler that can kick do the kicking. 

true. I dont know if he has accuracy off of the tee?