Calling All TalkBears Fantasy Football GMs (We back!)

adam

GMs, I have renewed our annual TalkBears Fantasy Football Keeper league, which is now entering its 15th season (which is crazy).

At the end of last season, there were 9 GMs that said they would be returning. An email invite went out on June 17th from Yahoo, but I definitely want to get confirmation on the 9 GMs returning from last year and ask if there is any interest from the board or you know of someone else for filling in the 10th spot. If so, please let me know here and I will send out an invite (will need email address).

Once we get 10 confirmations, we can schedule the draft and I can send out the LeagueSafe payment dues ($75 per team).

The winning payouts are as follows:

1st - $440
2nd - $200
3rd - $75
4th - $35

The payment deadline is usually by Week 4 of the season, so people have some time to pay the dues.

If you have any questions, let me know, we normally conduct the draft a few days prior to the kickoff game around 7pm Central. 

I will send out a weekly reminder until the last week of July or until we have 10 commitments. 

• adam pinned and featured this topic

The Bears' Training Camp is quickly approaching. Caleb & Rome are still unsigned.

If they are unsigned going into camp, it will become a major distraction, amplified by the Hard Knocks coverage.

Theres only three things they could disagree on in the contract. The rest is mandated.

1) When they get paid their money
2) whether we can recoup if they get arrested and cant play
3) whether they can double dip salaries if we cut them

Honestly, if any of those is a hold up Id blame the Bears. Lots of players get all three their way.

I did hear a rumor that they asked them to wait until Hard Knocks is filming to sign their contracts. That sounds more likely to me. Just like they asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our pick for TV.

Also, if Caleb was trying to change the rules, he'd have an agent to do that. The reason he doesnt have an agent is that there is almost nothing to negotiate.

ANd to the $100M or whatever the going rate for the best QBs is when his second deal comes along, if he's earned it, we will be lucky to have him and pay it.

I'm sorry. I see I opened a can of worms. This thread was started to address your Fantasy Keeper league. I mistakenly posted a point of view meant for the lengthy "catch-all" thread pinned to the top of the forum. Again, sorry I screwed this up.

As far as I'm concerned, you can delete all posts made after my mistake to return this thread to its intended purpose.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Theres only three things they could disagree on in the contract. The rest is mandated.

1) When they get paid their money
2) whether we can recoup if they get arrested and cant play
3) whether they can double dip salaries if we cut them

Honestly, if any of those is a hold up Id blame the Bears. Lots of players get all three their way.

I did hear a rumor that they asked them to wait until Hard Knocks is filming to sign their contracts. That sounds more likely to me. Just like they asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our pick for TV.

Also, if Caleb was trying to change the rules, he'd have an agent to do that. The reason he doesnt have an agent is that there is almost nothing to negotiate.

ANd to the $100M or whatever the going rate for the best QBs is when his second deal comes along, if he's earned it, we will be lucky to have him and pay it.

I heard its the wording at the end of the contract where he can do the double dipping. If he gets his way, it will be easier for him to leave. We want him to have the best option, Bears. A NFL guy interviewed on the score stated that, not sure how much he actually knows.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I heard its the wording at the end of the contract where he can do the double dipping. If he gets his way, it will be easier for him to leave. We want him to have the best option, Bears. A NFL guy interviewed on the score stated that, not sure how much he actually knows.

if it is that language, the Bears can just give on that point. It only applies if we cut him in the first four years. He cant leave, we'd have to cut him. Even a trade wouldnt trigger the language, just a straight cut and then he signs with someone else.

I mean if Caleb wants to go, all a team has to do is offer a 6th round pick for him and wed take that over cutting him. Youd have to imagine that no one wanted him, but then someone DID want him, and paid him enough that itd make a difference to what we wouldnt pay. So youd need to have a scenario where
1) we agreed to cut him
2) no team offered even a 7th rounder (to pick up his rookie deal! theyd actually pay more if they dont trade to sign him)
3) they then paid him large enough money that the cap offset would matter to us

it's such a tiny niche and so unlikely.

I think it's much more likely that Hard Knocks wants to film the contract signings.

On 7/6/2024 at 6:03 PM, Stinger226 said:

Last year I did 2 teams because my  friend had a motorcycle accident, this year both of us will be in.

Thanks Stinger.

It looks like we still need 2 more GMs if anyone is interested. If you know anyone interested in a paid-pool Keeper league, please let me know. I will try to fill at least one of the spots. 

found someone that will probably get in, he is in several leagues so its based on the draft day, preferably during the week and not in the first week of Sept, most his leagues draft then. How do I send him an invite?

25 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

found someone that will probably get in, he is in several leagues so its based on the draft day, preferably during the week and not in the first week of Sept, most his leagues draft then. How do I send him an invite?

Stinger, awesome, DM me his email address he would use for the league and I will send an invite directly from Yahoo and LeagueSafe.

For the draft date and time, we can work around everyone's schedule, and basically have an entire week before the kickoff game to conduct the draft.

It looks like we have all 10 GM spots filled, once our two newest GMs confirm their teams. Once that happens, I can send out the LeagueSafe info and we can schedule a draft date and time that fits everyone's schedule.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at Sep 1st - 4th for the league draft. More than likely 7PM Central. If there are days that you absolutely cannot make it please let me know as soon as possible. I will do my best to accommodate everyone, but if not possible, I will try to impact the least amount of GMs. If I don't get any responses, I will schedule it and we can adjust as needed up until a week before the draft, which is when it has to be locked in.

Also, for league dues, Leaguesafe is open: https://www.leaguesafe.com/join/4225329/2024-talkbears-keeper-league

Right now only 2 GMs have paid, so 8 left. 

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Hey Adam, I just paid. Chad paid and was saying he didnt get an invite to the league. Also did you send that info to Mike?

Hm, I send Chad an invite. I will delete the previous team and add him fresh.

For Mike, which team of the two you managed do you want him to take over?

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Comfortably dumb, make sure VS gets applied to the payment I just made

I sent Chad another invite.

I sent Mike the transfer team invite from Yahoo.

You are good to go on payment, thanks!