Chicago Bears training camp begins next week, July 16

ASHKUM BEAR

The Chicago Bears  rookies, report to training camp next week, July 16.  Veterans follow on July 19.  This is were the pen and paper dreams unfold into reality and the real excitement begins. 

There is still some offseason business that needs to be finished by next week, like signing Caleb and Rome, so expect that to be the buzzer to welcome the fans of the start.

There will be battles for positions won and lost. A player or two will emerge unexpectedly and some new names mixed in as they get looks at the roster. 

What will you be watching for as this new era begins?

• ASHKUM BEAR changed the title to Chicago Bears training camp begins next week, July 16

Theres only three things they could disagree on in the contract.

1) When they get paid their money
2) whether we can recoup if they get arrested and cant play
3) whether they can double dip salaries if we cut them

Honestly, if any of those is a hold up Id blame the Bears. Lots of players get all three their way.

I did hear a rumor that they asked them to wait until Hard Knocks is filming to sign their contracts. That sounds more likely to me. Just like they asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our pick for TV.

To the rest - YES - I cant wait!

21 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Theres only three things they could disagree on in the contract.

1) When they get paid their money
2) whether we can recoup if they get arrested and cant play
3) whether they can double dip salaries if we cut them

Honestly, if any of those is a hold up Id blame the Bears. Lots of players get all three their way.

I did hear a rumor that they asked them to wait until Hard Knocks is filming to sign their contracts. That sounds more likely to me. Just like they asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our pick for TV.

To the rest - YES - I cant wait!

I can see Caleb wanting his contract fully guaranteed.  It would be an interesting precedent, but likely, given his elite status.

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

I can see Caleb wanting his contract fully guaranteed.  It would be an interesting precedent, but likely, given his elite status.

Daniels' contract in Washington is fully guaranteed. I think they will give that to Caleb too.

Theres really nothing for them to argue about. The Bears should just give it, and they still get a bargain for the next three or four years, so I agree with you.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Daniels' contract in Washington is fully guaranteed. I think they will give that to Caleb too.

Theres really nothing for them to argue about. The Bears should just give it, and they still get a bargain for the next three or four years, so I agree with you.

?

I do hear some writers resurrecting the old "Caleb is selfish and wants to break the system" stuff, and i think that's an old narrative that proved not to be true when we finally met the guy in interviews etc.

I feel like because Caleb didnt have an agent (and doesnt need one) he also didnt have a PR person, and so for a few months before the draft rumors flew wildly unchecked and unanswered. But now, now that we have "met" him, I think those narratives are shown to be nothing more than negative clickbait, and stories planted by lower teams hoping to wiggle him loose from us.

I would bet strongly that Caleb wants to play and win more than he wants to fool with his unchangeable rookie deal?

That doesnt mean that Stinger is wrong about his second deal though. He's gonna want the moon. And if he's earned it, we should consider ourselves lucky to pay it.

Hopefully Caleb can bring us at least one Super Bowl victory on his rookie deal. Two would be better LOL

CW has proven to be of good character but that doesnt mean he's not capable of a holdout for some reason. Until he signs, we have to wonder what the hold up is. Plus Rome is not signed which may be getting advice from CW that compounds the problem.  Poles is all in on CW but something is holding up the signings.

Thing is we don't know what's going on behind closed doors at the negotiating table.  We have speculation, educated guesses, and comparisons but we really don't know.   We do know that Poles was all in on CW, and we've seen draft day and post draft day that CW by all appearances is all in on Chicago and has bought in.  As a fan I'd really like to see these deals get done.  There is still time to get it done, it is hard to stay patient and trust that it will even though deep down I believe it will get done. and we'll be fine.  

I dont think its a negotiating problem, I think Hard Knocks wants to film them signing, just like the league asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our #1 pick.

I will be shocked if Caleb holds out.

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont think its a negotiating problem, I think Hard Knocks wants to film them signing, just like the league asked us to wait 5 minutes before making our #1 pick.

I think you're right, and it's more about the spectacle of it than a holdout, or some sort of disagreement.  Can't wait to see training camp start and the season to start and we start to see what this revamped Bears offense looks like when it's no longer just on paper.  

23 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

100% this makes sense.  The biggest data point for that is the fact Odunze hasn’t signed.  #1 picks overall may or may not have details to iron out but not really at #9.  Also we’ve seen nothing from Odunze, nor Williams, that they don’t want to get to work right away.  Williams is focused on setting records in his career.  The first one he can get is to be the first #1 overall QB to win his first NFL game.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

100% this makes sense.  The biggest data point for that is the fact Odunze hasn’t signed.  #1 picks overall may or may not have details to iron out but not really at #9.  Also we’ve seen nothing from Odunze, nor Williams, that they don’t want to get to work right away.  Williams is focused on setting records in his career.  The first one he can get is to be the first #1 overall QB to win his first NFL game.  

all of this, especially Odunze makes me think this too.

On 7/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Chicago Bears  rookies, report to training camp next week, July 16.  Veterans follow on July 19.  This is were the pen and paper dreams unfold into reality and the real excitement begins. 

There is still some offseason business that needs to be finished by next week, like signing Caleb and Rome, so expect that to be the buzzer to welcome the fans of the start.

There will be battles for positions won and lost. A player or two will emerge unexpectedly and some new names mixed in as they get looks at the roster. 

What will you be watching for as this new era begins?

Sign Connor Williams.