Rookies Report 7/16 (TUE) Unsigned Rookies

adam

Right now, as far as I can remember, Rome and Caleb are the only two rookies left to sign their deals.

I would be more concerned if it was just Caleb left, but if Rome is still unsigned, then this might just be a formality thing where they show up on Monday, the 15th and sign their deals to start work the next day.

I believe it is tied to restrictions that are set in the contracts. There are certain things they can't do once they sign their deals, so I am sure they are just trying to maximize the amount of freedom they have before they are locked down in the contract. Most of the stuff is safety related, but I am sure there are more things in there that they are required to do once they sign it.

So signing on Monday makes the most sense. If by Monday night, they haven't signed, I will have concerns.

of course until anything is signed sealed and delivered, there is the possibility of concern. whether it's a player or an offer on a house etc.

but I would argue (as have others like AZ54 and Mongo), with no real information, that Odunze being unsigned means it's more likely they are waiting for hard knocks cameras to sign their deals.

Its not the only scenario that fits the data, but I think it's the most likely. So, like you, I wont be concerned unless this stretches into a holdout.

On the bright side, maybe Tyson Bagent or Austin Reed have some Brock Purdy in them? Imagine the haul we could get from Pittsburgh for Caleb? (kidding!!)

22 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

of course until anything is signed sealed and delivered, there is the possibility of concern. whether it's a player or an offer on a house etc.

but I would argue (as have others like AZ54 and Mongo), with no real information, that Odunze being unsigned means it's more likely they are waiting for hard knocks cameras to sign their deals.

Its not the only scenario that fits the data, but I think it's the most likely. So, like you, I wont be concerned unless this stretches into a holdout.

On the bright side, maybe Tyson Bagent or Austin Reed have some Brock Purdy in them? Imagine the haul we could get from Pittsburgh for Caleb? (kidding!!)

I did not consider the Hard Knocks effect, that makes sense. 

I am just saying from the competitor side, if these guys are true ballers, they are not going to let something contractual get in the way of their performance, especially with a rookie deal that is largely locked in based on draft position.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I did not consider the Hard Knocks effect, that makes sense. 

I am just saying from the competitor side, if these guys are true ballers, they are not going to let something contractual get in the way of their performance, especially with a rookie deal that is largely locked in based on draft position.

agree, and given their high likelihood of being very valuable to us, the Bears are also unlikely to hold out for the small things that could be at issue.

1) Fully Guaranteed contract (Jayden daniels and a bunch of first rounders got this, bears can give it too)
2) offsets for being suspended due to poor off field activity (this is the Roquan holdout issue, again I dont see it here)
3) offsets if the Bears cut the player and then they sign a big deal somewhere else so that they dont double dip, and we get cap relief (if we cut them and they are still worth big money, someone would trade a 7th or better for them instead making this moot)

so yeah, on both sides holdups would be silly.

Plus, winning will bring a LOT more money to the players than holding out can.

I think it's hard knocks playing with us.

21 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

agree, and given their high likelihood of being very valuable to us, the Bears are also unlikely to hold out for the small things that could be at issue.

1) Fully Guaranteed contract (Jayden daniels and a bunch of first rounders got this, bears can give it too)
2) offsets for being suspended due to poor off field activity (this is the Roquan holdout issue, again I dont see it here)
3) offsets if the Bears cut the player and then they sign a big deal somewhere else so that they dont double dip, and we get cap relief (if we cut them and they are still worth big money, someone would trade a 7th or better for them instead making this moot)

so yeah, on both sides holdups would be silly.

Plus, winning will bring a LOT more money to the players than holding out can.

I think it's hard knocks playing with us.

Yeah, I am reading that a lot now. People close to the facility said Hard Knocks crews were there, so this makes a lot of sense to get this on tape.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, I am reading that a lot now. People close to the facility said Hard Knocks crews were there, so this makes a lot of sense to get this on tape.

lets hope! :)

I had sort of thought they might sign together for the cameras.

It doesnt really mean anything until Saturday, so they still have some time, and I still believe this is not going to be an issue, but if we get past Saturday and he is still not signed, I'll worry then.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

What was the date for the first Hard Knocks Bears? I forgot and am too lazy to go searching.

Found it, Tuesday, August 6

yeah I cant wait to watch it!

I think the cameras arrived at Halas Hall today, possibly yesterday, so this all makes sense.

I'm gonna be very interested to watch Eberflus' chemistry with the players. He sometimes feels to me like he is nervous, antsy or insecure, but thats in the social settings. It's possible that once the relationship turns to Xs and Os and specifically football things where his knowledge, experience and role is clear that he is more comfortable or alpha.

Maybe kind of like the player who is soft spoken and sweet in interviews and turns into a bloodthirsty monster only on the field.

I've hoped to see Eberflus more in his professional role, because the behind the scenes stuff made me mistrust his leadership, but when hes ont he practice field and yelling, I might see the side of him Ive been looking for that would make Poles' choice in him make more sense to me. It cant just be calling cover 3, anyone can do that, so Im hoping to see the side of him that i just havent had enough chance to see to bring me around.