Williams and Odunze signed today

BearFan PHX

I guess they were waiting for the cameras, probably asked to by the league.

Both are signed. And Caleb didnt try to change the league after all. That was just narrative from before the draft because he didnt have a PR person countering anything so the stories went wild - probably from teams in the top 5 hoping to shake him loose.

Anyway the nonsense is over. We have successfully navigated cutting Fields and drafting and signing Caleb. Hopefully now the business of winning comes front and center.

And speaking of centers and fronts, I wouldnt be shocked to see us sign Connor WIlliams, another DE or both.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I guess they were waiting for the cameras, probably asked to by the league.

Both are signed. And Caleb didnt try to change the league after all. That was just narrative from before the draft because he didnt have a PR person countering anything so the stories went wild - probably from teams in the top 5 hoping to shake him loose.

Anyway the nonsense is over. We have successfully navigated cutting Fields and drafting and signing Caleb. Hopefully now the business of winning comes front and center.

And speaking of centers and fronts, I wouldnt be shocked to see us sign Connor WIlliams, another DE or both.

Yeah, I think they are going to see how Bates/Shelton look, but they will have space to add someone, but I doubt they can afford 2x additions. So I assume it would be C or Edge, not both.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, I think they are going to see how Bates/Shelton look, but they will have space to add someone, but I doubt they can afford 2x additions. So I assume it would be C or Edge, not both.

probably right, but i think when he was healthy Connor Williams was so much better than these two that if you think he's coming back to form, and the numbers work (to your point) then we would love to sign him. I just dont know when that would be, you dont want to pay big on a hope that he recovers.

As expected the contract chatter before camp was much ado about nothing.  Yes, Phx you are correct all that contract 'ownership" stuff looks to have been nothing but noise and distraction.  We'll see how the career and contracts go in the future but I'll forever wonder what Tom Brady told Caleb when they were talking over the summer.  Many players make their money off playing (i.e. the contract).  Brady was never focused on being the highest paid, he was focused on making his money off winning, and still is earning big money off that.  You need to believe in yourself to make that happen...

https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-brady-retires-record-475-180432340.html  

Brady repeatedly signed below-market deals with New England to help its roster-building under the cap, but he still retires with a record $293 million in playing salary and bonuses.

Sportico estimates Brady earned $180 million off the field over the past 22 years from endorsements, licensing, appearances and memorabilia. Taken all together, his career earnings are estimated at $475 million, which would rank No. 22 among athletes all-time, not adjusted for inflation, and is a record haul for an NFL player while active.

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

As expected the contract chatter before camp was much ado about nothing.  Yes, Phx you are correct all that contract 'ownership" stuff looks to have been nothing but noise and distraction.  We'll see how the career and contracts go in the future but I'll forever wonder what Tom Brady told Caleb when they were talking over the summer.  Many players make their money off playing (i.e. the contract).  Brady was never focused on being the highest paid, he was focused on making his money off winning, and still is earning big money off that.  You need to believe in yourself to make that happen...

https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-brady-retires-record-475-180432340.html  

Brady repeatedly signed below-market deals with New England to help its roster-building under the cap, but he still retires with a record $293 million in playing salary and bonuses.

Sportico estimates Brady earned $180 million off the field over the past 22 years from endorsements, licensing, appearances and memorabilia. Taken all together, his career earnings are estimated at $475 million, which would rank No. 22 among athletes all-time, not adjusted for inflation, and is a record haul for an NFL player while active.

Oh I sure hope so. I always knew what Calebs position would be regarding his rookie contract, but i cant make any predictions about his second deal; when that will come, and how much he will ask for etc.

But there is a definite wisdom in leaving some money for players to catch the balls you throw, and championships mean more endorsements, and at some point when youre rich beyond measure, championships should mean more. I hope Caleb sees it that way when the time comes if he proves to be the QB we think he can be!

I hope he takes the Brady route and not the Rodgers route!

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

probably right, but i think when he was healthy Connor Williams was so much better than these two that if you think he's coming back to form, and the numbers work (to your point) then we would love to sign him. I just dont know when that would be, you dont want to pay big on a hope that he recovers.

The Bears did right by waiting on Conner Williams.  He's had another month to not just heal the knee but gain strength.  Now they have the full training staff in place and it's easy to bring him in for a thorough eval.  

There is no DE available who will dramatically change the roster, they'll just be expensive depth pieces on a 1yr rental.  I'm not happy with Nate Davis so far this offseason. Williams, if healthy, presents a chance to give Caleb an elite Center for the next 4 seasons.   We have the money now if we choose and can sort out the oline future next season but unless there is a dramatic turnaround Davis isn't likely in the picture for 2025.  Even if Davis did play well, assuming Jenkins does the same and is healthy I think the team would rather build around Jenkins who definitely is putting in the offseason work to get better.  IMO Bates is a better Guard than Center and sitting between Williams and Wright he'd be fine.  Translation for me:  I'm holding onto my options with Williams as long as possible to validate his health.  Then I decide.  

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The Bears did right by waiting on Conner Williams.  He's had another month to not just heal the knee but gain strength.  Now they have the full training staff in place and it's easy to bring him in for a thorough eval.  

There is no DE available who will dramatically change the roster, they'll just be expensive depth pieces on a 1yr rental.  I'm not happy with Nate Davis so far this offseason. Williams, if healthy, presents a chance to give Caleb an elite Center for the next 4 seasons.   We have the money now if we choose and can sort out the oline future next season but unless there is a dramatic turnaround Davis isn't likely in the picture for 2025.  Even if Davis did play well, assuming Jenkins does the same and is healthy I think the team would rather build around Jenkins who definitely is putting in the offseason work to get better.  IMO Bates is a better Guard than Center and sitting between Williams and Wright he'd be fine.  Translation for me:  I'm holding onto my options with Williams as long as possible to validate his health.  Then I decide.  

absolutely the right way to play it, and having the training staff in place was an additional wrinkle I hadnt considered - good one.

I also worry about Davis, and wonder about Bates at G. I feel like that flexibility was always part of the plan, even if replacing Davis wasnt explicitly the first option, or never happens. Poles is stocking the room with talent, and hopefully they get the best 5 out there.

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

They can easily create space for anyone they want.

We have 12.2 mil in cap space. If they keep the same operating capital last year (8 mil) we have 4.2 mil to sign another player. Yes, they can play with salaries but what dire need do we have( DE) that they will add? I think this opens the door for Yannick N. to come.  LIKE 6 MIL WITH INCENTIVES. Connor Williams would be a smart addition but obviously his injury is still a problem.( no one has signed him).

Davis and Jenkins both have some questions, Poles has more information than we do and seems to be comfortable with both. Jenkins will only get a contract if he stays healthy and Davis will only come back if he plays a pro bowl type season. I hope you guys are right and Williams is healthy and we sign him but at this point in time, Poles already made his choices Bates or Shelton for now. For now JaT Carter and Matt Pryor are the backups. Shelton and Bates have both played OG and come backup either. We will find out what Poles does before August 1st by the moves he makes. It may be to stand pat.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Bears going 17-0, Super Bowl victory over Houston 34-17. No other team was able to sign two top 10 picks before the start of OTAs, amazing work by Poles and Co!

My optimism is 12-5 and NFC title game. Led by a top 5 defense and All rookies CW and Rome. 

20 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We have 12.2 mil in cap space. If they keep the same operating capital last year (8 mil) we have 4.2 mil to sign another player. Yes, they can play with salaries but what dire need do we have( DE) that they will add? I think this opens the door for Yannick N. to come.  LIKE 6 MIL WITH INCENTIVES. Connor Williams would be a smart addition but obviously his injury is still a problem.( no one has signed him).

Davis and Jenkins both have some questions, Poles has more information than we do and seems to be comfortable with both. Jenkins will only get a contract if he stays healthy and Davis will only come back if he plays a pro bowl type season. I hope you guys are right and Williams is healthy and we sign him but at this point in time, Poles already made his choices Bates or Shelton for now. For now JaT Carter and Matt Pryor are the backups. Shelton and Bates have both played OG and come backup either. We will find out what Poles does before August 1st by the moves he makes. It may be to stand pat.

I don't like the stand part option.  As I've previously stated, it's about next season.  There's not a defender out there that is going to help up win a playoff game.  I'll take Conner Williams on a flyer.  If you have to put him on the PUP for awhile, I'm good.  I've been on record that I don't like the investment Poles has made in the IOL.  Williams, if healthy, is proven and young.  I want nothing else going into camp.  Mid season, gimme another great EDGE trade...

I guarantee Poles will be active at the trading deadline dangling the Bears 2nd round pick as the Panthers pick is going to be between 32-37. If the Bears can get a Montez Sweat level player for the Bears late 2nd rounder, that is a great deal for the Bears.

Now Florio is saying that Williams didn't sign as they are haggling over the franchise tag after his 5th year. I don't know how that is possible if he practiced yesterday? 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Now Florio is saying that Williams didn't sign as they are haggling over the franchise tag after his 5th year. I don't know how that is possible if he practiced yesterday? 

so weird. and I don't think players have the right to put in any language about franchise tagging anyway? Otherwise wouldnt someone else have already done this?

EDIT - so apparently it is possible.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/caleb-williams-aimed-to-secure-no-franchise-tag-clause-in-bears-rookie-deal

58 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

so weird. and I don't think players have the right to put in any language about franchise tagging anyway? Otherwise wouldnt someone else have already done this?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/caleb-williams-aimed-to-secure-no-franchise-tag-clause-in-bears-rookie-deal

I'm not sure, if I were Poles, I'd give up the right to use the franchise tag on Williams if, after exercising the 5th-year option, Caleb, negotiating without an agent, was making demands well beyond market value set by other QB contracts five years from now.

I think that I've heard of such exemptions on contract extensions, but I don't think this has ever been done on a rookie deal for a player drafted in the first round. Does Poles want to establish a precedent for such an (IMO) unreasonable request?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yeah, I guess he technically can ask for one, but seems like that would be like Poles conceding all of his leverage to a rookie who has yet to take one official snap for the team. Also, it seems like a waste of time for Williams because if he is as good as advertised the Bears would be crazy to tag him instead of extending him to a 10-year deal.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm not sure, if I were Poles, I'd give up the right to use the franchise tag on Williams if, after exercising the 5th-year option, Caleb, negotiating without an agent, was making demands well beyond market value set by other QB contracts five years from now.

I think that I've heard of such exemptions on contract extensions, but I don't think this has ever been done on a rookie deal for a player drafted in the first round. Does Poles want to establish a precedent for such an (IMO) unreasonable request?

This - I don't think this is an area I would cave if I were the Bears. Having that protection basically ensures Caleb is a Bear for 7 years and if nothing else ensures if Caleb ultimately balled out and liked it here so little, the Bears would at least have the leverage after year 5 to franchise and trade him.  Getting rid of that franchise basically puts the Bears in a tougher spot where they would have that pressure applied more deeply in years 3 or 4 (again this is presuming he balls out).  Odds are 95% of the time it won't come that way - cause if Caleb crushes it they will offer him a ton of money - but if Caleb got this in - and played excellent - he would have leverage as a UFA like no other player at a prime position would ever had (26 year old all pro QB as a UFA - that is unheard of and I could see a scenario where 3 or 4 years in, Caleb waiting that extra year to secure the BAG would be worth it.

I really hope this is a big rumor and not actually the case.  

56 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This - I don't think this is an area I would cave if I were the Bears. Having that protection basically ensures Caleb is a Bear for 7 years and if nothing else ensures if Caleb ultimately balled out and liked it here so little, the Bears would at least have the leverage after year 5 to franchise and trade him.  Getting rid of that franchise basically puts the Bears in a tougher spot where they would have that pressure applied more deeply in years 3 or 4 (again this is presuming he balls out).  Odds are 95% of the time it won't come that way - cause if Caleb crushes it they will offer him a ton of money - but if Caleb got this in - and played excellent - he would have leverage as a UFA like no other player at a prime position would ever had (26 year old all pro QB as a UFA - that is unheard of and I could see a scenario where 3 or 4 years in, Caleb waiting that extra year to secure the BAG would be worth it.

I really hope this is a big rumor and not actually the case.  

Yeah, me too.  I would never want to be the first GM to set a precedent like that, especially when it's been collectively bargained and agreed upon.