Dalton+Green to Williams+Odunze

adam

Dalton and Green are the only QB+WR duo to connect for 1K yards passing/receiving as rookies. I think Williams and Odunze have a great shot at that, especially with 17 games.  Odunze would need to catch 4.33 balls a game with 13.5 yards per reception.  Even with all the other options, it seems like that is very realistic, even for a rookie. Odunze will more than likely get CB2 or 3 on every play, which should be a mismatch in almost every game. 

I think there are too many mouths to feed and an OC who knows how to spread the ball around.   Even if Williams were to throw for 4000 yds.   Give 800 each to DJ, Keenan, and Odunze.   That’s 2400.   

Give 500 to Kmet and 400 to Everett.  Now at 3300.   Here again the OC likes to use TEs and with DBs focused on the WRs these guys figure to be the easy mismatch for Caleb to take advantage of.  

Give 300 to Swift.  Now at 3600.   There will easily be a cluster of others like Scott or  Jones or Roschon who collectively get 400.

To see Odunze get 1000 I think we need an injury to Moore or Allen for a few games so he gets more reps.  We’d also need Caleb to throw for something crazy like 4500 yards.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think there are too many mouths to feed and an OC who knows how to spread the ball around.   Even if Williams were to throw for 4000 yds.   Give 800 each to DJ, Keenan, and Odunze.   That’s 2400.   

Give 500 to Kmet and 400 to Everett.  Now at 3300.   Here again the OC likes to use TEs and with DBs focused on the WRs these guys figure to be the easy mismatch for Caleb to take advantage of.  

Give 300 to Swift.  Now at 3600.   There will easily be a cluster of others like Scott or  Jones or Roschon who collectively get 400.

To see Odunze get 1000 I think we need an injury to Moore or Allen for a few games so he gets more reps.  We’d also need Caleb to throw for something crazy like 4500 yards.  

Yeah, the mouths to feed is a great reason for him not to hit 1K. The Seattle trio had over 2,600 yards last year with Geno Smith throwing to them. So I would say there is an outside chance as Williams is a much better passer.  Geno had 4282 in 2022, so it is definitely feasible in the Waldron offense.

Also, with the extra game, it feels like a lot of people are stuck on the old milestones. 1K in 17 games is the same as 941 in 16 games. Just like with Williams passing numbers.  4200 passing yards is only 247 per game or the equivalent to 3,950 in 16 games. There were 10 4K passers in 2023, basically a 1/3 of the league hit that number, and 14 QBs beat Kramer's 3,838 Bears record. I would like to think Williams is near the bottom of that top 1/3. That should be over 4K. If Lawrence and Mayfield can throw for 4K, Williams can. 

it's an embarrassment of riches. One WR may get 1,000 because of how coverages end up etc, but it would come at the expense of the others, as you guys have mentioned, there are a lot of mouths to feed. Barring a WR injury, I think Caleb's stats look better than any of the WRs on paper, but if you look at how they get each other open, it should be amazing. Too bad there is no assist stat for complementary routes.

With such problems for defenses to cover, we might be really formidable this year in terms of points, even as Caleb is still learning. I dont want to drink too much kool aid, it is still the first season for a lot of them and Waldron, but if things go right, I wouldnt put a ceiling on this team. The superbowl window may not be wide open, but it's certainly cracked and letting some air in.

And if C and DE2 work out, then this roster will be the one to win a superbowl, in whatever year in the next 3.

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

it's an embarrassment of riches. One WR may get 1,000 because of how coverages end up etc, but it would come at the expense of the others, as you guys have mentioned, there are a lot of mouths to feed. Barring a WR injury, I think Caleb's stats look better than any of the WRs on paper, but if you look at how they get each other open, it should be amazing. Too bad there is no assist stat for complementary routes.

With such problems for defenses to cover, we might be really formidable this year in terms of points, even as Caleb is still learning. I dont want to drink too much kool aid, it is still the first season for a lot of them and Waldron, but if things go right, I wouldnt put a ceiling on this team. The superbowl window may not be wide open, but it's certainly cracked and letting some air in.

And if C and DE2 work out, then this roster will be the one to win a superbowl, in whatever year in the next 3.

What's funny is I keep thinking that Caleb may have a different problem, too many guys are open, lol. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

What's funny is I keep thinking that Caleb may have a different problem, too many guys are open, lol. 

lol good problem to have